1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Single or double latch on rear hatch?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by betterbuckleup, May 10, 2021.

1. May 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Pro's & con's between single vs double T latch on the rear hatch of a topper?

I'm spec'ing out a topper build and I asked the shop if there are any advantages/disadvantages to having a single vs double latch and he didn't have much to say. I asked if one is more secure than the other, and he said he though the single would be better in that sense (not that it really matters cause they'll likely break the glass first).

I'm leaning toward a single latch on the rear for the sake of saving time opening and closing it.
    Does one style hold up to abuse/offroading better?

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

2. May 10, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Double is definitely harder to break. I have a single and someone got in by yanking hard on the handle and popping the rivets out that hold the lock bar on.

Key-Rei likes this.
  3. May 10, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Like the other guy said, the dual locks are typically more secure because they've got a shorter lever arm and typically a stronger one at that, the single is certainly more convenient though.

However if somebody wants to get in your shell they're going to get in your shell one way or another all the lock is really there for us to keep honest people honest.

I personally would get the single just out of convenience not having to unlock two locks manually and open two handles each and every time, I already have to open my swing out just to open the rear glass to get into the back.

4. May 10, 2021 at 9:51 PM
    Taco_Latte19

Taco_Latte19 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport MGM DCSB MT

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB MT MGM
    Snugtop Rebel Bilstein 6112 and 5100 Venomrex Wheel Toyo Open Country ATII Uptop Overland Racks Baja Design LP6 Pro Diode Dynamics SSC2 and SSC3 Switch Pro 9100 Bed Stiffener Tyger Slider RCI Skid Plate Clazzio Leather Cover Seat Kicker and Focal Speakers TRD Shift Knob Diode Dynamics Fog Light and Interior lights Noico Sound Deadening Windows Tint
    I ordered a single latch because I want to get the keyless entry feature. You can't use keyless entry with double match according to my dealer.

5. May 11, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    First post is correct- single is a little more convenient, double is a little more secure. Unless you get one without windows and put a puck lock on it no shell is particularly secure. Since these companies seem to think the windows are worth their weight in gold it'd probably be better to have a thief snatch the rear window open than break a window.

6. May 11, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SC 2.7 4x4 5spd
    Interesting. Well as long as the single will hold up to abuse offroad, I think I should be fine with that one.
    Like @Key-Rei said, if they really wanna get in, they can do it a buncha different ways. I don't usually park in sketchy areas or leave my truck in those kinds of places for extended periods of time. If I do, i'll just take everything of value out of the bed.

Good point. Yea I'd rather not have to replace the glass and just deal with some rivets.

Not applicable for me as I have a first gen with all manual locks anyways

7. May 11, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    After someone broke the rear latch the 1st night, someone else smashed out the side window... I know this because the person who’s house I parked in front of witnessed the 1sr indecent. The joys of parking on the street in Philly.

Products Discussed in

To Top