1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sirius Install Help Needed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by shadgkiss, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab, TRD Off Road
    Hello All - I just bought a 09 dc OR a few days ago, so far I am very impressed as I was a Ford guy for years. My last Ford was a mess but it is over now :).

I have a sirius sportster 5 that installed in the truck but I DON'T want to keep using the AUX-In. I currently have it installed using the Aux, but the volume is noticeably lower than the radio/cd player. With my Ford I used a mini-to-RCA cable, connected the RCA cables to a box that connected directly to the back of the radio. Some of the parts I think I need is:

1 - mini-to-rca = http://www.crutchfield.com/p_043183190/Arista-Stereo-Mini-to-RCA-Adapter.html?tp=1934
    2 - Toyota Auxilary Input Adapter (TOY03-AUX) = http://www.gosiriusxm.com/Toyota-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter-Converter-40TOY03-AUX41_p_384.html
    3 - SFA 12M shark fin adapter

Anyone know if this will work? I am worried about the TOY03-aux because it only shows to a 2008 Taco. Some of you guys are pretty good with this so I am hoping your good with this.

2. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    Congrats and welcome to the Tacoma world!

I've heard a lot of complaints about that aux port. Good idea, but bad with sound. It was like that in my 09, too, but I've already changed out the head unit so I don't use it anymore.

I think you'll be alright with that setup, though I'm not a Sirius expert. Someone else might chime in to verify. However, the Pioneer XM tuner I have works nicely with the aftermarket Lexus sharkfin adapter and factory antenna. I bought the antenna here... http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-shark...er-p-5647.html

Oh, and when it comes to showing compatible vehicles for stuff like that, chances are it's compatible with the 09's as well... they just haven't updated their site. It should usually read 2005 +. The 2009's are pretty much the same vehicle. The only changes I've seen are the Satellite Antenna, LED tail lights, smoked headlights, and aux port for the radio... plus a few minor extras.

3. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Octane

I used to hang out at FordTruckWorld.com a lot, this place is pretty cool. a lot of knowledgeable people.

Hopefully more people have done something like this because I would like to order some parts.

What a shame that the aux port doesn't work great, so easy to setup.

4. Jun 11, 2009 at 3:12 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    I know... Great idea, but poor execution. I hope that setup works out for you. It's always good to have your tunes.

5. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I upgrade the Hu in my 08 within weeks of getting mine. My Pioneer HU has an AUX port and it works and sounds great with my Sirius radio.

6. Jun 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Just curious, do I need a male or female adapter to connect to the sportster5? Anyone know? Thanks

7. Jun 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    There is a volume setting, I have it to max and it is still noticeably lower.

8. Jun 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    I tried just using fm modulation and it is worse than using the aux. I spoke with Jamie at TSS-Radio and he said that the AUX converter will not work. I just ordered the sharkfin cable for now. I need to do more research on the Toyota Auxilary Input Adapter.

Thanks

9. Jun 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    male

10. Jun 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    In addition to the output volume control on the Sirius, my Pioneer also has a volme control feature that allows me to adjust the volume level to match the HU radio. :D

11. Jun 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have a 2006 single CD non jbl head unit. I used a USA spec PA11-TOY and a sportster 5.

The volume is a little lower than the regular radio but I just turn it up.

[​IMG]

12. Jun 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    Well I am on my way to get this done. I spoke with Mike @ http://www.GoSiriusXM.com
    and I will be a test case for them to see if the toy03-aux will work for the 2009 Tacoma. He is sending me the adapter prior to Sat and I will see if it will work. If it works I pay for it, if it doesn't work, he will let me return it.

Hopefully Saturday I should know more. I used one of these in my old truck and the quality was as close to CD as it could be, hopefully it works out.

Thanks for your help

The adapter I am getting is:
    Toyota Auxilary Input Adapter (TOY03-AUX) = http://www.gosiriusxm.com/Toyota-Aux...X41_p_384.html

13. Jun 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
  14. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    oghwga

oghwga Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 2wd sb
    so this adaptor plugs into the back of your Sportster and hardwires to the back of the head unit? And everything still works the same except that now you have good volume control? If this is true then you are the man and i will order this today. That is my only complaint with my Sirius is the volume through the aux port is so darned low.

15. Jun 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    shadgkiss

shadgkiss [OP] Member

Member:
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
  16. Jun 25, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    oghwga

oghwga Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 2wd sb
    I don't have a SAT button. I have a SAT/am button. Maybe I should post a pic of my unit.

17. Jul 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    ImNaComa

ImNaComa Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '09 PreRunner Magnetic Gray TRD
    The TOY03-AUX link says that it includes the RCA Y-Adapter cable so don't need to buy it separately?

Products Discussed in

To Top