1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

skid plate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zabstaCOma, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    zabstaCOma

zabstaCOma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 toyota tacoma TRD off road
    -debagged -shorty black antenna 14'
    i am looking for a new skid plate and like the look of the "Toyota Tacoma Skid Plate Front, Under Engine Brushed Finish Anodized Aluminum". I am looking for something that i can rely on to take a hit when i wheeling.

My question is does anyone have this skid plate ? and if so what do you think of it? IS it worth the 200$ or is a a pos aluminum that will not be worth my buck?

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Snoyota

Snoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Marin County, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black Dbl Cab Sport
    3" King coilovers with resi, king rear shocks with resi, ome dakar leafs, 4xinnovation kickout sliders, CBI front bumper, warn M8000 winch K&N filter. Pioneer deckplate with 500w alpine amp and 13" Focal Sub
    One good hit and it will crumple under the impact. Its just for looks

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Short Cab Silver
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    I mean it offers a tiny bit of protection but if your gunna use it for off roading don' buy it. It's mostly for show is what I think. I would never pay 200$ for a piece of metal like that. I wouldn't recommend it; I bought it but for fifteen bucks from a buddy.

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ^correct. If you want a serious skid for wheeling, look at our vendor section for armor tech.

5. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    If you're going for the look, it's okay. If you're looking for protection, it doesn't provide it. Since it is aluminum, it'll dent or crack very easily. If you want real protection, spend the money on aftermarket skids.

6. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    That's what I am talking about. Like the moderator posted above; check the vendor section. I am not a hard core offroad guy so I have no use for real metal.... Though, the TRD skid plate looks great on any truck except gold (IMO). Many on this forum rep the TRD skid plate for looks; and it looks fairly good.

7. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    zabstaCOma

zabstaCOma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 toyota tacoma TRD off road
    -debagged -shorty black antenna 14'
    jhodge83 can you tell me how to look at our vendor section for armor tech?

8. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    We refer to him as " The Moderator " around here

9. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:

Go to forum list; a drop down screen will come. Look to the Right, tons and tons and vendors.

P.S. Armor for your truck (plating and such) is expensive and should be welded by a professional. My buddy put stuff like this on (diff plate) and completely fukd it up because he cant weld for the life of himself.

10. Jan 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    FlyingWil

FlyingWil Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, LightForce 240's, PIAA 510's,T-Max 9000 competition winch with Outback (longer drum) and modified brake wireless controller and Masterpull line with Viking safety thimble, Rugged Ridge Hawse, Daystar Winch isolator, SAW Racerunner 2.5 coilovers, Safari Snorkel, IBS dual battery system with RBM, Scangauge II, Total Vision self spotting kit and monitor with aux output and remote, Low Tek Gauge pod with Cyberdyne gauges for fridge and battery, Yeasu FT-7800 head unit mounted in ceiling linner and speaker Larson Hood mount, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location,'lil Wil Mag mount antenna, Odessey 1200 MJT & Die Hard Plat. dual batteries, Can-Back with extra mounts, Blue Sea 12 st Fuse Box, 100 Amp 100 Amp Relay, Extremeaire & 5 Gal air tank w/ 145 psi switch, Custom bed drawer system, Engel Mt-45 with TwoZone, protective covers, and Engel Slide Eezi-Awn 1600 RTT w/ Ikea LED light mod, and sheet set, CBI offroad Expedition rear bumper, jerry can tir
    If you want to keep the looks of the skid, we offer ASFIR 4x4 skid plates for the Tacoma's. It is raw aluminum, but thick enough to take a hit and keep you on the trail.

Products Discussed in

To Top