1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sleeper Platform Camper Build.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by HeliToast, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Aug 17, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    HeliToast

HeliToast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    BP-51 and OME Springs, SnugTop HiRise Sport with Baja Rack, ARB awning, rock ware sliders, 285 wildpeak bed sleeper system. SSO slimline, Baja designs lights and KC rock lights. Lots of the usual recovery gear.
    When I initially bought my truck my intention was to do a mild overland build but focus on the ability to use the bed as sleeping platform. I wanted to still be able to use the truck as a truck however. I came up with a pretty simple modular build after scouring the TW webs and several other forums. Thus far it has been amazing, and getting better every time I use it. Other than the mattress I am into the project for only about $50 ($120 counting the saw blade I had to get but thats my fault). The biggest expense was the bedding by far. I initially was going to go with a hinge style that co4runnin inspired my idea. But I'll be honest his carpentry skills are better than I, and I was looking for something less permanent. The other idea was to be able to have something I could use for one person and still use half the bed for storage on solo missions but also easily convert it for 2 people comfortably.

The biggest contribution to comfort is for sure the Sport Hi-Rise snug top, those extra several inches make a world of difference for overall comfort all around. I ran out of time prior to a trip so I ended up just buying a mattress topper that I thought would be sufficient enough, (especially for the price) however after about the third night in a row I realized more padding would be needed for my boney hips. I ended up getting a couple of work out pads for cheap and they did the job, plus they add a layer of protection between the sheets of the platform durning transport.

I can have the whole camp set up usually before my friends have there rain fly up, pending I find a flat spot or ramp of course. Hope this helps others like others helped me, cheers!

IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    DSC01613.jpg
    IMG_3810.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Harry T and readyme like this.
  2. Aug 17, 2017 at 9:44 PM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    BP-51 and OME Springs, SnugTop HiRise Sport with Baja Rack, ARB awning, rock ware sliders, 285 wildpeak bed sleeper system. SSO slimline, Baja designs lights and KC rock lights. Lots of the usual recovery gear.
    I didn't realize I had to individually load each photo, so these are kind of out of order still learning the nuances of posting threads.

IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg

3. Aug 18, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Thanks man! I'm 6 foot nothing and fit really comfortably.

4. Aug 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    Voodoochile9

Voodoochile9 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC TRD Sport quicksand
    What awning do you have, I have Yakima aero bars and was wondering if the awning came with different mounting clamps

5. Aug 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    Slavik

Slavik Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yaroslav
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport
    Looks good !!!!

6. Aug 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    airborndad

airborndad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Montclair, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black DCLB TRD Off Road 4X4 JBL
    Front Runner Slimline Roof Rack
  7. Aug 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    Tinsu

Tinsu Member

Member:
    Really looks nice. Do you have the long bed?

8. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
    What awning do you have, I have Yakima aero bars and was wondering if the awning came with different mounting clamps

9. Aug 19, 2017 at 8:27 AM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    I have the ARB 2000, it is silly easy to set up and take down, we got stuck in a nasty storm couple weeks ago and with the guy lines out it didn't waiver. I purchased it as a package from bomber products with their mounts which are absolutely unparalleled, I'm usually pretty chill about products but these things are insanely nice and the customer service was amazing! I believe they mount on aero bars as well. Email Josh over at bomber he'll be able to get you squared away with all your needs!
    http://www.bomberproducts.com/

IMG_3815.jpg

10. Aug 19, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    I do have the long bed. Love it!

11. Aug 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    Tinsu

Tinsu Member

Member:
    For some crazy reason I did not realize you can get the long bed with the four-door. Do you have to special order that?

12. Aug 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    I did special order mine from the dealer because I was deployed and this is my first new car ever so I wanted it to be built just for me, I have been saving and waiting for exactly what I wanted. But you can find them they are a little harder to get a hold of but by no means as difficult as a Pro.

13. May 3, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    DanielWEWO

DanielWEWO AntsInMyEyesJohnson

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    Black 2017 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB
    Sorry to rez this thread but what is keeping the vertical piece in the middle from scooting around? Are you still running the same setup?

14. May 6, 2018 at 9:01 PM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    I am right now but am in the process of either building or purchasing a more permanent drawer system. The middle stays in place but the to removable support boards. If I am only running the one side I usually have something in there next to it like a cooler or rubbermade of gear. I was going to add a turnbuckle from a hardware store.

15. May 6, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    upTOPOverland_Drew

upTOPOverland_Drew upTOP Overland Technical Design and Application

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB SUPER WHITE
    All the things...click the link in sig
    Very well done on this! I am working on mine now, slightly different design for me but I really dig your setup!

16. May 7, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    DanielWEWO

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    What are you using the turnbuckle for?

17. May 7, 2018 at 11:49 PM
    HeliToast

Member:
    First Name:
    Wheaton
    Colorfull Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    To affix the platform support to the tie downs in the bed to keep the platform from moving if I don’t have a cooler or something like that keeping it in place.

18. May 8, 2018 at 9:11 AM
    DanielWEWO

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange
    Vehicle:
    That's what I figured. Interesting Idea. I think I might try this out.

19. Aug 8, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    franckieworld

franckieworld New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Sport
    @HeliToast sick build! how did you get that middle post to stay? is it attached to anything? where do you put the right plywood platform when youre nott using it?

20. Aug 8, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    HiBillyMaysHere

HiBillyMaysHere Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    Nice clean build, well done!

HeliToast[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top