1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sleeper Platform...I know...But seeking advice!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ndub86, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Apr 22, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    ndub86

ndub86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 Double Cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    Hi all,

So I started building out a sleeper platform for my truck in anticipation of a month-long road trip up the PCH...there's TONS of ideas and I'd like to think I've taken bits and pieces of everyone's contributions to this forum and others throughout the Interwebz (and thank everyone for their ideas). Anyways...here's where I'm at in about 10 pics or so:

I ordered the mid-size DAC Truck Tent since I have a shortbed...

IMG_1189.jpg

Setup the right support, with cutout for the bolt towards the cab of the truck and then also resting on one of the heightened parts of the truck bed (don't know what to call them)IMG_1225.jpg

Started building the platform to go across the back and secured the two supports with glue and long right-angle brackets. Also included two pieces that would "lock" it in place into the divets above the wheel wells.

IMG_1249.jpg IMG_1247.jpg

Unfortunately...had to take the camper shell off to fit it in due to constraints from the mounting points of the camper shell...which basically means it will stay in there unless I have a reason to take it out...

IMG_1261.jpg
    Pretty snug fit...

IMG_1263.jpg
    I made a stencil out of cardboard to fit the varying dimensions towards the back of the truck, applied it to the plywood, and it turned out pretty solid.

IMG_1289.jpg

Carpeted left side panel...right side panel fitting...IMG_1295.jpg
    Both panels set and "locked" into place by the fact that they can't move

IMG_1298.jpg
    Working on the removable tailgate portion...

IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1307.jpg

Removable tailgate portion setting confirmed...

IMG_1312.jpg
    Now...where I'm at...I do have to finish the removable tailgate portion (I will have two clasps on the top to secure it to the main portion to prevent it from moving forward/backward). Also, I will have threaded inserts in the top of each "support" that hinges in the removable portion that I can secure from the top...so basically, whenever I set it up, I put the removable portion over the tailgate, unfold the legs, secure the clasps, and use an allen wrench to secure the legs. Should take just about 2 minutes to get it ready.

What I'm planning on doing on the right side (why the opening is slightly wider), is making a 2 foot x 5 foot table "drawer", similar to what this guy did in his FJ60:

24.jpg

Now, the problem I'm running into...I'm advised to make the entire structure out of 1/2" baltic birch plywood, including the drawers. With the legs and all that dense wood, I'm estimating the table/drawer structure to be approximately 160 pounds unloaded. That seems like way too much to me...to lift, but also just a lot for the truck as I'm still on stock suspension for probably another 30k miles.

I have the removable panels because I plan on storing my cooler (and maybe later a fridge/freezer) on the left side of the structure with the panel removed during transit, and a storage bin behind it/under the main platform. I'm getting a 4" foam folding mattress for the bed that will fit perfectly. I'll plan on having probably one other bin that just sits on top of the platform for extra storage of other items that don't fit in the other bin or in the drawer/table system.

I'm seeking advice/ideas to assist in the drawer/table system similar to above...it will be 3 drawers, but they will be all next to each other (left drawer, center drawer, middle drawer), all slightly different dimensions in width to accommodate various cooking/camping materials.

I'm trying to decrease the weight by either using different materials, going thinner in the materials in certain parts, or other methods. I'm open to any ideas...would really like to get the table/drawer structure closer to 100 pounds empty (legs I am using are probably around 25 pounds).

**Lots of other pics attached, if you wish to view more detailed info...and if you notice, I originally setup the main structure on the wrong side and had to redo it after cursing a couple of times**

Attached Files:

pruchai, tomwil and jackn7 like this.
  2. Apr 22, 2016 at 10:56 PM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    Are you dead set on drawers? I'm considering long plastic containers, similar to the type used to hold wrapping paper.

Or maybe instead of a fully boxed drawer you have just a single flat plywood tray with anchor points and rollers underneath. You pull it out and strap whatever you need to it then slide it in like a cookie sheet into the oven.

What are you thoughts on the DAC truck tent? How long does it take to set up? Did you get the right size?

I'm considering it for my setup. I'm 6'2 and have to bend my knees ever so slightly or go diagonally if I want to stretch out in my 6' bed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. Apr 22, 2016 at 11:24 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    You could cut weight by abandoning the drawers and using plastic tubs instead. Instead of a big heavy chuck box just get a light weight folding table. And maybe cut even more weight by replacing your wood supports with steel structural studs. Per the Dietrich website standard web sizes go all the way up to 14". http://www.clarkdietrich.com/products/curtain-wall-framing/structural-studs

4. Apr 23, 2016 at 12:00 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

MTNHABITOVERLAND Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Camper Build Instagram: @mountainhabit
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    I used pine, also called common board. Super lightweight but sturdy. In my older SUV I used plywood-way too heavy. Using varnish to help waterproof (resist) the covering in marine grade carpet.

The drawers I built will have "lids" that rest on them. I routed the inside edges of the drawers to allow the "table top" to "sit" on the drawer edges. Inexpensive/removable ikea table legs and fittings will be on the bottoms of the drawers. Voila! Sturdy table!! I'm finishing up tomorrow but you get the idea, I hope.

image.jpg

5. Apr 24, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    ndub86

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    I haven't tested it out yet as far as sleeping in it...It fits on the truck...if I have something on the roof rack I have to insert it in between the rack mount points which makes it scrunch a little but it still functions. The only thing I think they could have done better is make it taller because it actually pulls down my back glass a little bit (I can imagine this is much worse with a shell that's taller than cab-height). I feel like I won't have a lot of room to get in/out of it since I have the elevated sleeping platform. I'm going camping this upcoming weekend so I will test it out. I got the mid-size...takes about 3 minutes to setup.

I was only planning on doing a drawer on the one side...and I was pretty deadset on it because I thought having a folding table with all of my cooking stuff stored inside was pretty dope. I'm still probably going to do it...I just need to find the right materials and still doing some research.

Cool! I used common board for the leg supports...used 5/8" baltic birch plywood for the tops. I didn't do any sealant on those ones...partly because I was impatient...hopefully I won't run into any trouble, but I hear baltic birch is pretty water resistant.

6. Apr 24, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    Mattynokes

Mattynokes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    18' BLACK Off Road DCSB
    Prinsu Toprac TRD Beadlocks Century Shell
    You think those steel studs will hold a good amount of weight when installed horizontally in the grooves of the taco bed?

7. Apr 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    I think so and I personally wouldnt hesitate to try them in the bed of my truck. But if you don't feel good about it have a look at the datasheets on the web page. Every manufacturer should be making them to the same specs.

8. Apr 25, 2016 at 3:52 AM
    Mattynokes

Mattynokes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    18' BLACK Off Road DCSB
    Prinsu Toprac TRD Beadlocks Century Shell
    I always have been looking for an Alternative to boards. My mind had been set on those aluminum bleacher planks until you mentioned these studs. I'll have to go take a look at these.

9. Apr 26, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    ndub86

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    I think I came up with a solution! I'm going to make essentially a "box" - it'll have the folding legs underneath and I'll use 1/2" baltic birch plywood (adds about 8 pounds for a 4x8 sheet but considerable strength and water resistance) for the top, bottom, back, and sides. I'll use scrap 5/8" baltic birch left over from the platform in my truck for either 1 or 2 supports on the inside (or maybe I'll use that for the sides and 1/2" on the inside). So I'll essentially have a 9" high x 24" deep x 48-60" wide box that is open in the front with either 2 or 3 "cubbies" - I haven't decided if I'm going to make it 4 foot wide or 5 foot wide yet. I'll use 1/4" plywood on hinges sort of like a tailgate with magnetic cabinet clasps to close the front. That way, I'm doing away with the extra weight incurred by the drawers inside of the box and also allowing extra height/depth/width by not having drawers. When the unit is in the truck, it'll fit so snug that there's no concern with the 1/4" plywood "door" opening, and I'll be sure to get magnetic latches that are decently strong to hold it closed.

10. Jan 2, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    ndub86,

How are you enjoying the DAC tent? I am thinking of getting one since I also have a short bed. Thanks for the feedback.

Rob

11. Jan 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    ndub86

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Hey sorry I hadn't logged in for a while...I'm digging it! Close to Thanksgiving I was on a camping trip and it poured all night long and not a drop of water came in. That was the first "true" rain test of it. Only thing is the water does pool on the tent by the rear glass, just gotta be careful taking it off after a hard rain.

[Edit]: If you have a shell that's above cab-height, it won't work though! Just a heads-up

12. Oct 10, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    bprout

bprout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4
    Runs off Hopes and Dreams
    For the tailgate extension platform, does that go under the main part of the storage? Or do you just have to throw it on top when you are traveling?

Products Discussed in

To Top