1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders part 2

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Beefed Taco, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco [OP] Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Here are the current prices for standard sliders with kickout. I also want to offer sliders with the rear kick up, so all info regarding those will be up this next week. Pics of these mounted on a very nice truck will be up after this weekend.

These have a 7/8" gap between the pinch weld and slider to avoid rubbing, about 5/8" between open door, and are higher than the bottom of the frame. Legs are far toward the ends to avoid any unwanted flex.

[​IMG]

Narrow or Wide available

[​IMG]

2. Mar 5, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    wide version for me:) 05+ DSB

3. Mar 5, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Do you have a set for a dc long bed?

4. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    automoto

automoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    beef PM'd

5. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    These should fit your frame I believe. I have 1 set done and waiting for you. They're the wider ones in the pic.

Not yet, that's next on the list and I do have a donor truck. Now that I'm familiar with everything the next 2 models will go easier.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mar 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    So why is it in every picture you post it is nice and sunny, yet everytime I am down there and we are working on the truck getting these fitted and built it is raining on us! hahahaha DAMN

7. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    hahaha, no sh!t! It's rained 3 times lately and those are the days we meet. I'm starting to feel like I'm being tested...how bad do you really want these Brian? hahaha. Last Sat. was a nightmare compared to my usual fun sunny work days. :cool:

BTW, Hybrid's are also available.

8. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Please let me know when you have these ready.
    Thanks, oh yeah it only rains here on weekends...

9. Mar 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    Well, today was a good day to play with sliders!

IMG_2024_4ef5ac35bc280655589878b6ec984f30da169d7e.jpg

We were able to get the completed slider back onto my truck for a little bit of testing, but before I go into the results of this testing, I want to give you guys some facts about these sliders.

1. The front leg is only about 7” from the front of the slider. This means that the most critical place on the slider (the front, as that is where you come down onto rocks most commonly) is FULLY supported.

2. The rear leg is only about 9” from the rear of the slider. Once again, this means that the rear of the slider is FULLY supported. Also, as Beefed has mentioned before, the rear bracket acts as a sort of slider to where your leaf back mounts and blends what is normally a sharp edge on the stock Tacoma:

IMG_2028_81d75b9192f55d47983d4214c91901b068ac3eff.jpg
    (notice those nice looking welds haha)

IMG_2018_4e9f984e8138b0a64e800a1ed318b247e267e8d5.jpg

Now for the fun….the HI LIFT TEST

So, first off, my truck is by NO means lightweight. I have full winch bumper, with winch, 33+” tires all the way around, larger susp components, etc. I also had a FULL load of wheels/tires in the back of my truck (my spare 33+” and 5 stock OR wheels and tires) and a full tank of gas.

IMG_2019_fd0c7774692033e03722ed62d56ffb0d64d57dff.jpg

So, what is the hi lift test? JACK THE ENTIRE SIDE (not just one wheel) off the ground using the CENTER (allows for most bowing on the long outer tube) of the slider (Notice both wheels are off the ground):

IMG_2012_330a08c8a64d0617ee747812f60c64cad7e6d8eb.jpg

IMG_2011_a44cf4352b358859cf4434a7fa863fc10baac5e8.jpg

There was MINIMAL flex (though Beef was still wants less so is investigating ways of making it less). However, I am not worried about this as the flex was VERY minimal, and working as an aerospace engineer, I know materials, and I know that NO (affordable) material will not flex. Flex is ok as long as you stay in the elastic region of the material, meaning, as long as it come back to how it was before, you are good to go… and as you can see by the following pics….it did!!!

Before Test:

IMG_2022_d48a81ee4f0ffe9fe576135155904a02a43d8665.jpg

After Test:

IMG_2015_df5e46a93c9fc8271f9f469a814d1e2bd33690cc.jpg

Now remember, this is a worst case scenario with these. We are lifting the ENTIRE vehicle from the CENTER of the slider, and she bounced right back to where we started. I’d say it passed

And now for a few teasers of my special kickup that we are working on (please note, supports for the hoop will be added, this is just a teaser pic)

IMG_2031_ae3bf9ce0aaaa3fbbc31f63a741af0a32b02568e.jpg

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    OK man you now have me salivating!!!! I'm next in the receiving line and I cat wait to get my DCSB hooked up with these!!!!

I will, say patience is required but it is worth it for the product Beefed is giving us! I really think there isnt anythng on the market that can stand up to his setup!

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Robert, that's an excellent writeup as usual. 2 thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Guy is your frame the same platform as his AC? It should be right? The other 2 are the standard cab and the 4 door LB, so these should fit yours, which means I have a wide set waiting with your name on them. You're right, you have been very patient, along with a couple others and I can't thank you guys enough.

My main goal with any item is to R&D every little detail and offer a product that will work as claimed. I don't like offering anything until I feel 100% comfortable with it. What's taken so long is Steven is very busy, and so am I, but I just felt this was LONG overdue and have put some stuff aside to get this moving for real. Now I'm ready to get a different model here and get those available.

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Brian, I shot you a couple pm's a few months back and never heard back from you after our first few communications. I guess it was a good think in a sense that the sliders are stronger than originally designed. If you can pull of a pair for a 2nd gen AC, I'll more than likely be hitting you up for a pair in the near future.

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    Im glad to see an update Brian. Everything is lookig great. Cant wait to see the DoubleCab short bed setup. Im still willing to donate my truck for testing. Awesome work. GO BEEFED!!!

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Hey Brian, i would think they wouldnt be much different. i know i measured and came up with 82" and it looks like that is what you came up with for his AC so I would think the slider (minus the mounting-not sure if it would different) should be a replica.

I cant really say for sure though. I know if the length is 82 then it will fit. just have to have a "warm and fuzzy" on the mounting. If the wide set you have is 82 then i can drop by when needed to get a definite answer on the mounting.

Edit: Does anyone know if the DC frame is the same as the AC.i think i remember Chris4x4 talking about what frames were used for certain models...cant remeber. if they are the same frame then we are in business:)

15. Mar 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Thanks for your positive comments guys, very much appreciated. I'm excited to finally have 1 of the 3 models available. Here's how I remember the frames being on the models at the Toyota dealer when Steven and I went a while back...

#1. standard cab normal bed
    #2. AC normal bed, and DCshort bed have the same platform/frame (available now)
    #3. DC long bed (being the longest, and probably requiring 5 legs per slider, but not sure yet until I look into it)

I will take another trip to the dealer tomorrow morning to reconfirm this. If this is in fact the case, I have 1 model of 3 covered. The good news...I'm sure the frame brackets will pretty much be identical for all 3 models, and the fact I'm now very familiar with the 2nd gen frames, the next model I make a jig for will be much easier since I can already have everything ready to go when the next donor truck shows up...saving a ton of R&D and time. I need the 2 existing models to build the first pair from, then I need the finished sliders for about 4 days so I can make the jig and build that model sliders on the workbench ready to ship and bolt on. It's a process that's involved, which is part of the reason this has all taken so long. I'm excited and ready to move onto a new model asap. Thanks to everyone who's shown a interest and sent PM's, and big thanks to Robert who's now done 3 trips down and has shown a lot of patience and help with input during our R&D.

Here's a great tip for anyone installing bolt on sliders of any brand that require frame drilling....get a nice set of drill bits, and once the frame is marked, (4 holes per side on the bottom rail of each side in my case) should start with a small pilot hole, and work up using every other bit to make drilling a breeze. Robert said he heard horror stories of people having a hell of a time trying to drill through the 2 separate layers of frame, and I reassured him it's probably due to the fact they started out using way too big of a bit.

16. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Awesome! yeah thats what i thought i had been told concerning the frames. Great, that means there shouldnt be much work concerning my set:) let me know when you need my truck.

17. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    The only work concerning your set is me building them and you grabbing them and bolting them on!

I have Steven's older style set that I want to do something cool to at the open area of step, like maybe putting a bolt in aluminum step plate with dimple die holes, which I can do on my jig now that it's made, since I now have the correct angle it would need to be. Without the jig, it's a guessing game. So basically, I can build any style of slider someone wants from my jig.

#1. original style shown in first post
    (I'll do something to the step area to reinforce it and add some bling)

#2. This new style

#3. this new style with kickup at end, (like Robert's will have)

#4 older original style slider that we've all seen for years

#5. any one of these styles in a Hybrid.

18. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Great! I'm looking for this in "Wide" :) This is like Burker King, i love it! Let me know when I can pick em up. You do have a wide version there with my name on it right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016
  19. Mar 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Yes sir, the pair on the right. How they came about is kind of funny..I was on schedule and Robert was coming in 2 days for our first install session, and I had just finished them, when I realized I made them in the wide version and he had originally made a special trip down so we could take measurements and build exactly what he wanted,which was narrow. When I looked at my notes and realized I made them wide I started to come up with excuses I'd tell him on why I did them like that (after I about crapped my pants) ..:p I couldn't do it to him and bit the bullet and built him a new narrower set with a QUICKNESS! :D Both pair shown are 82" long.

S1.jpg

20. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Yaaaaayyyyyyyy for me then huh! :) just let me know when the mounting is done and im ready to hand over some well earned cash:)

Products Discussed in

To Top