1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slipping Transmission?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Art Soup, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Art Soup

Art Soup [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Stock "OF" Package
    I have just upgraded from a 1st Generation Tacoma to a brand new 2009 2nd gen. Both models were automatic and the factory 4x4 TRD Off Road package. I think my tranny is slipping, but I want to make sure this is not how the truck is supposed to drive.

We have these large wide 'road humps' in our subdivision, and when I accelerate after a hump the revs go way up and it takes a second for the car to go. If it were a standard, I would say the driver was taking his foot off the clutch too slowly and pressing in the gas too quickly.

It does this when slowing (to about 10mph from about 30mph) around corners as well. I have tried flooring it, and easing it, and all the button-modes, and taking over-drive off. Nothing seems to change the way this acts.

Is this slight slippage normal? The 2002 was tight and the acceleration was spot on. And if anyone has some insight, I would appreciate some advice as to what to tell the repair shop.

Thanks very much. I appreciate any advice. I'll post some photos as soon as I can get to a nice location.

Art

2. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    This seems to be a normal feeling, I went from an 02 to my 07 and felt the trans was a little sloppy as well. But I would like to add that no one else that rides with me notices this. I am funny like that. And after owning the truck for 2 yrs i don't notice it anymore, and i love it.

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    JACKEL142

JACKEL142 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport LB 4x4 Speedway
    My new 09 seems to do something similar when turning onto a side street & accelerating.

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.

Products Discussed in

To Top