1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slow to heat, quick to cool

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vtdog, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    vtdog

vtdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    This is my second winter with my '11 v6 offroad. I have noticed that the truck seems slow to come up to full temp on cold days. Once it gets to full temp I get good heat so there does not appear to be a problem.
    The odd thing is that the engine really seems to cool down fast when off. At cold temps, say 35 F or below, it only takes an hour or two for the engine to be cool enough not to register on the temp gauge. Other vehicles I have had will hold enough residual heat so that the engine is not at ambient temp after a short period of time.
    Is it just me, or do others have same experience?

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    It takes a while for the warm air to start...I had an old volvo that would blow hot air within a quarter mile, the Tacoma needs about 6 miles.

Howard

3. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    The all aluminum block doesn't help.

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    One of the many reasons Toyota engines last forever is the ability to dissipate heat quickly. Even though it sucks for your comfort, it's good for your engine's longevity.

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Some of what you are seeing is the gauge itself. I don't think the temp gauge even moves till it hits 100 degrees. It's not really a "gauge". It's more like an idiot light with a needle on it. It also doesn't register higher temps unless it goes way over. You really need a Scangauge if you want to know what temp you are running.

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    It doesn't move until the coolant is north of 120F on mine. I never watch the needle anymore though, the digital readout on the UG is much more convenient.

Most mornings when the block is cold and it's under 30F outside - after the 1 minute warmup for the timing advance cycle - it takes about a mile to get to 100F, another 2 after that to get to about 170, and a mile or so after that stop it'll get up to 185 and open the t-stat (I can see when that happens when my IATs go up, I have the elbow off for the winter).

Still better than the old Honda Fit as far as heat. That car would open the t-stat at 173F after almost 10 miles and it NEVER felt really warm, it just took the edge off.

Products Discussed in

To Top