1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sluggo: The 4 banger build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Sweet mark!

Not bad.

Feel sorry for ya, wish you had a better welder haha

Where is the cross bar to hold in the coolers :boink:

2. Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Yeah, don't wanna lose your bee..I mean drinks!

3. Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I honestly don't think the cross bar will do shit, but I'll see what I can come up with
    That would be a travesty! The cooler is not going up there though haha.

4. Jul 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Looks good!

5. Jul 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Good job Mark. Looks like it will work well. I'm with Monte, I'd add one outer bar to the cooler rack just to keep stuff from sliding out. I know you'll have it tied down but having a tie down that has to keep things down and not sliding sideways is harder than one that only has to worry about keeping it down.

oh, and your welds are um...sweet! ;)

6. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Mark, couple suggestions on your welds....

Flux core is a pain and it's hard to not have a lot of splatter so you'll just have to deal with that. However....

1: spend time cleaning up your joints before you weld, no matter what. Having a good bevel is critical to get good penetration and a strong weld. It will probably still hold if you don't do that, but will be a MUCH weaker joint.

2: Turn up the heat on your welder. I find that if I ever need to use flux core wire, I need the heat up higher than when I use solid wire and Argon/CO2. Your weld you showed where you added 1/2" of material looks pretty cold with the bead sitting on top of the surface. A good bevel on both sides of that joint would have helped, and turning up the heat will burn it in better and give you a flatter bead.

3: do your cleanup with a flap disc. It looks like your material isn't super thick (which is probably fine) but a regular grinding disc will tear through the material in a far less controlled manner and you risk having weak joints where you've cleaned up with the grinder if you take out too much material. A flap disc will leave it much cleaner and you can control the amount a material you're taking off much better.

7. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    thanks:D ya, i have some extra tube. ill cut it and notch it to fit around the bars and make the cooler rack bar bolt in.

and the welds are pretty great lookin huh:rolleyes:

i played with the settings alot. as far as power goes...there is a min and a max switch. all or nothing baby. when welding 2 pieces together like the joint, when each piece is the full thickness i could turn the heat up and weld normally. but at alot of the joints where the edge of the metal was ground thin from all the fine tuning to get the right shape at max power the wire would just blow right through. so i had to turn everything down, tack it just so it would hold, then i could make more welds and fill in the blow outs.

at the joint the heat was on max, with the wire speed at 5 i think ( i was just going a bit slow). when i was doing it i made sure i could see penetration on the inside of the metal most of the time. I was even jumping up and down on the shelf when I had the frame in place. at least that one is gonna hold. the tire rack needs more attention before I want to jump on it (along with the cross bars). i was losing day light. The bars are more than tacked in, but thats basically what this is. when i do full welds and clean up i will be getting a flap disk along with the grinding wheel to fill in the holes, clean up the joints and smooth it all out.

8. Jul 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Geez that's lame..

Need a better welder is what haha

9. Jul 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Correct. I do

10. Jul 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    . Bolt in safety bar for the shelf. Cutting off the ends of the bar right past the bolt

[​IMG]

Grabbed a flap disc, bird shit welds are looking better and less holes are being blown in the metal also
    [​IMG]

11. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Got my bed rack all painted yesterday!
    [​IMG]

Finally done with it
    [​IMG]

and approval from OZ

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  12. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    Tonto27

Tonto27 We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 double cab
    A bumper here, some tires there..... you know, stuff.
    looks good man.

kudos :cheers:

13. Jul 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks great man! Nice work!:thumbsup:

14. Jul 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Looks great!

15. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Sweet dude!!! How heavy is it? Did you use 1/8" wall sq tub or .100 wall?

16. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    hmm. good question! not quite sure. i mean its not light, would be cool to make it all from aluminum if i had a tig welder :anonymous:

Its 16 gauge. I can pick it up and load it in the bed by myself alright. So not TOO bad i guess.

17. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    :rolleyes: this one is more fun (and also costs me a ton more). stop trolling haha

just got done with my cb at 2 am. joy. hope this ones works

18. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    Gingermobile

19. Jul 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    k sounds good! ill go get in the truck...
    :burnrubber: WORD!

20. Jul 11, 2013 at 2:06 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    got a crackle, couldn't make it out though. talk louder. lets try chanel 33. my cb likes the upper channels

Products Discussed in

To Top