1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Small electric fan on OEM trans cooler?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Lord Humongous, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Feb 26, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous [OP] The Ayatolah Of RockNRolla

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Inferno 3rd gen trd offroad 4x4
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lord-humongous-gigahorse-build.436524/
    20160717_145338.jpg
    So I've done quite a bit of towing in 2016 with my 3rd gen and the truck has performed very well. I haven't had any dummy lights come on telling me the trans is too hot but I still plan on picking up a scan gauge before spring so I can monitor my exact trans temps.

Im also thinking of slapping this fan on the OEM trans cooler.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XONUG0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    Does anyone have any thoughts, concerns, opinions expierence with running a small fan on the OEM cooler?
    It may just be a waste of 80 bucks but also might have the placebo effect and reduce concern when I'm headed uphill when it's 115f out.

**I thought about just upgrading to a larger trans cooler with a fan that runs on a thermostat but the pain in the ass level of topping off the sealed tranny has deterred me**

2. Feb 26, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    If the fan is small enough to fit on the cooler, the only issue I see is that it is a non-reversible puller. If you have enough space to mount it behind the cooler, this is fine. However, if you get the pusher version and mount it infront of the cooler, when the fan is not on it will obstruct some of the airflow and lower the cooling capability of the factory cooler.

Lord Humongous[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 26, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous [OP] The Ayatolah Of RockNRolla

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Inferno 3rd gen trd offroad 4x4
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lord-humongous-gigahorse-build.436524/
    A pusher fan is definatley concern and considering it would run off a switch-pro and not a thermostat I'd probably forget to turn it on and doo more harm than good. Luckily there is a ton of room behind the grill on a Turd gen20170226_105652.jpg
    It's hard to see in that pic but there is a good 5+ inches behind the trans cooler to get a fan behind it.

4. Feb 26, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Cool. In that case, it would help to have for long hills or summer days stuck in freeway traffic.

Speedytech7 likes this.
  5. Mar 8, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    get the gauge first then figure out if you need the fan. (i have a fan on mine and mine never came on during some long pulls towing 6k lbs) and its set to come on at 200deg.

Products Discussed in

To Top