1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smoked fogs or Yellow tint fogs???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tim09taco, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Jun 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    Tim09taco

Tim09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 6-Speed SR5
    I have a white 09 taco with black bumper and black flares. Just ordered some black carbon fiber headlights and black grille. Not sure if I want to mix up the "theme" I have going or if I want to stick with the black and white idea that I like...thoughts....?:mudding:

2. Jun 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Yellow for sure!

3. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    Tacokevin

Tacokevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Hartford, CT
    Kenwood Excelon DNX9960, Hertz speakers, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, 3" Toytec Bilstien 5100 coilovers, LR UCA, Diff Drop, Rear AAL Bilstien 5100's, XD Series Bully Wheels, 285/74R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Yellow fog lights w/ anytime mod to FJ oem switch, DTRL custom mod w/Switchback LED and stealth switch, Smoked Headlights, Wired Streamlight Rechargable LED flashlight, Color matched grill, Color matched power mirrors w/oem switch, Heated Murth Bicolor signal mirrors w/Highlander oem heater switch, URD short shifter
    Yellow definitely!!!!!! included pic of mine when i was changing the headlights to smoked lens.... plan on painting bumper white.....keeping fender flares black.....ordered grill from Exclusive Elements Group buy

Attached Files:

4. Jun 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Tim09taco

Tim09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 6-Speed SR5
    Thats funny, exactly the same truck (or at least close). I'm keeping the bumper black and just ordered some smoked headlights. Light bar to come soon. Im not sure if I want to paint the grille black or white now (from the gray it is stock) I was thinking black, but....not sure now. I just got it in October and it came with brand new tires so Im going to wait to do a lift and tires until I need tires. The yellow fogs look awesome, I ordered mine at work today!

5. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Yellow!!

6. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    Tacokevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Hartford, CT
    Kenwood Excelon DNX9960, Hertz speakers, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, 3" Toytec Bilstien 5100 coilovers, LR UCA, Diff Drop, Rear AAL Bilstien 5100's, XD Series Bully Wheels, 285/74R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Yellow fog lights w/ anytime mod to FJ oem switch, DTRL custom mod w/Switchback LED and stealth switch, Smoked Headlights, Wired Streamlight Rechargable LED flashlight, Color matched grill, Color matched power mirrors w/oem switch, Heated Murth Bicolor signal mirrors w/Highlander oem heater switch, URD short shifter
    Awesome. Do you have a color matched grill or is it all grey? I picked up the color matched one. Unfortunately don't have pics with the smoked lights and fogs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308224875.466726.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308224937.771599.jpg

7. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    Smoke...Getting away from thread, but what is the deal with the yellow fogs? I've seen them around a lot and don't get it. Just in my opinion, they look nasty and don't match with any of Tacoma's colors. Help me out here.

MGMTacoFF...

8. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    BransTaco

BransTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Taco TRD Sport
    K&N, Tinted Winders, black'd emblems, amp'd sound system, custom sub, washed
    I dig the yellow. They're just different. I ordered the laminx yellows a couple a days ago. If I get tired of them I'll just pull them off and slap on some smoke ones.

9. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Yellow or plain. I like smoked headlights, they look mean in a good way, but smoked fogs look kinda counter-productive for some reason. Doesn't make sense, I know, but it's just how I see it. You should do what you like best.

10. Jun 16, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Personally I would not do either, the smoked has no function what so ever and is just for show. The yellow has a purpose at heart but the tint is cheap, it won't stand the test of time.

With show completly put aside, I would put my money in a pair of HID 3000K headlights and get something that works.

11. Jun 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Tim09taco

Tim09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 6-Speed SR5
    I dont have a color matched grille, I have the gray one. I was thinking about painting it myself, I'm already painting my wheels next weekend and want to do the grille, black or white. I like the black bumper and fender flares with black wheels, really love the white on top and black on the bottom thing. As for the fogs, I like the yellow for the look right now, and they are more functional that the smoked. I plan on getting a light bar on the front, but dont want that until I have my lift and tires setup. I'm just gonna get all the little cosmetic things out of the way now and a lift and tires will be the icing on the cake next spring. Definetily excited about working on my first taco!:mudding:

12. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    Tacokevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Hartford, CT
    i think that the yellow fogs on a white bumper look awesome...i went with yellow fog light not a cover on the lens

13. Jun 17, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    I used the krylon stained glass spray and they look just as good today as they did 6 or 8 months ago when I sprayed them. I dont see them deteriorating any time soon :shrug:

14. Jun 17, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    did you spray the inside or, how is it applied?

Never heard of it before, interesting.

15. Jun 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Tim09taco

Tim09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 6-Speed SR5

I got the yellow fogs, not a film or painted so hopefully that last a while. What kind of paint should I use for rims and grille? Or what have any of you used in the past???

16. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Outside is sprayed. Just remove the fog lights, tape off any area you dont want to get the paint on and, if you want, give them a very light wetsanding using no more than a 2 or 3k grit. I did just enough to remove the gloss on the original lense then sprayed 4 coats each. Turned out awesome and the can is only about 7 or 8 bux i think.

I'm sure it will!
    Rims, I'm not sure. For the grille, you can check my build page...theres a link to the writeup I did on painting the grille surround. I color matched using duplicolor. Some people like the flat black plasti-dip look (which can be used on grille and wheels, etc)

17. Jun 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver

right on

18. Jun 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
  19. Jun 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Tim09taco

Tim09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 6-Speed SR5
    I'm sure it will!
    Rims, I'm not sure. For the grille, you can check my build page...theres a link to the writeup I did on painting the grille surround. I color matched using duplicolor. Some people like the flat black plasti-dip look (which can be used on grille and wheels, etc)[/QUOTE]

I checked out your grille and it looks good man! I think I'm going to go with a flat black on the shell and do a mesh grille as well. Doing it next weekend (if the weather holds up), pretty excited to do my first mods on my first Taco! Anything thoughts from anyone on doing the grille white? My truck is white so I think it could look cool, then I am going to color match my emblems as well, white.

20. Jun 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    GatorComa

GatorComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4x4
    If you're just going for looks, I say smoked fogs....would look real clean

Products Discussed in

To Top