1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

smoking on startup

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TacoTuesday, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Feb 18, 2007 at 1:30 PM
    TacoTuesday

TacoTuesday [OP] Member

Member:
    My Tacoma has about 4k and it is puffing smoke when I start it like a 15 yr. old Chevy that needs valve seals. Does anyone else have this? What should I do? I guess I'll be going back to the dealer .......again.

2. Feb 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    Whoa!!! that's not good did you check the oil? you need to have your taco checked out. ASAP let us know what was the trouble and post it on TW. it will help us other taco owners :)

3. Feb 18, 2007 at 3:53 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    First what color is the smoke? Is it blueish colored or white smoke or just steam from warming up?

4. Feb 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM
    TacoTuesday

TacoTuesday [OP] Member

Member:
    Smoke is blueish white and lasts about 3 seconds.

I am sick about my purchase. I thought I was getting one of the best trucks on the road. All I have gotten is one big headache and a lot of sleepless nights.

Not loving my Taco.

5. Feb 18, 2007 at 7:23 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Not to worry. You are still under warranty. What you are experiencing is a component failure and not a engine problem to be concerned about. I cannot come up with the name of the component that has failed at this moment. It is a simple fix, so dont panic. Take it in and let Toyota deal with it. Not to worry.

6. Feb 18, 2007 at 8:25 PM
    TacoTuesday

TacoTuesday [OP] Member

Member:
    Did you have a similar issue? If you remember the name of the component please let me know. I am just affraid of head trouble.

Thanks for weighing in on this.

7. Feb 18, 2007 at 8:31 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I have a similar problem on my wife's Dodge and the dealer sold me a $60 parts they wanted me to change (warranty expired) and the problem would go away. The part is in her vehicle but I'm to lazy to step out in the cold right now to check it out. Take your Taco in.

8. Feb 19, 2007 at 6:05 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    TT,

It’s a PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve). The metal ball within may be stuck. I had the same problem of blue/white smoke on start up only and after replacing the valve, the problem went away as suggested by the dealer. There are other causes that generate white/blue smoke but your truck is way too new for that. Take it in.

9. Feb 19, 2007 at 5:56 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    youshould be ableto pull the pcv valveand shake it should rattle if not it is bad

10. Feb 19, 2007 at 7:31 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    I agree, but why? His truck is only a few months old and the dealer should check it out, don't you think?

Congrats on becoming a senior member.

11. Feb 19, 2007 at 7:43 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I'm really curious as to what the problem is, let us know what it turns out to be.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your truck. I know you probably feel disappointed with Toyota right now but you do have to remember it is a machine and not every vehicle coming off the line can be 100%. There is a real possibility you got a lemon as rare as it is with Toyota.

12. Feb 19, 2007 at 9:14 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    look at the bright side if you take it in 3 times they'll consider your vehicle a lemon and they'll replace it with a new one. so not to worry be patient with your taco.

13. Nov 21, 2007 at 12:11 PM
    1ToughTaco

1ToughTaco Member

Member:
    The Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4.0L/V6
    Toyota Bed Extender, Roof Rack, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Window Tint, Husky Front and Rear Floor Liner, Cabela's TrailGear Seat Covers
    I just checked my Taco again because I noticed smoke the other day and sure enough, there is smoke on start-up. It is white in color and smells of burnt oil. It lasts about 3 seconds give or take. I'm going to call the dealer and ask him about it.

14. Dec 6, 2007 at 2:03 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    We had this same problem when we first got our Highlander. We had a free first oil change so we took it to the dealer to change the oil. Well a few days later at startup smoke would come out the exhaust, not everytime but every now and then. We took the thing back to the stealer and the dumbfucks overfilled the oil. Ever since then I change my own oil, those dipshit can't even do that right what a pathetic bunch LOL. I hope you've got the problem resolved.

15. Dec 6, 2007 at 2:19 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    don't do this. They might try and blame it breaking on you. Just bring it in.

16. Jun 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Did you ever figure out what was causing this?

Products Discussed in

To Top