1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smuook's Taco Mojo

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by smuook, Apr 23, 2013.

1. May 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM
    smuook

smuook [OP] Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Thanks!

2. May 23, 2015 at 1:20 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    These are the seat I got:

http://www.cipherauto.com/racing-seat/1019-series/cpa1019fbk-r

Had them 2 years now and holding up great. I drive my truck daily and the stock seats were horrible. I used to get lower back pain with stock seats after 30 minutes of driving. Zero discomfort even after long drives with these. Great upgrade and well worth the money imo. I would recommend these to anybody. They are not plush, spongy seats... but they are comfortable and the support is awesome. They have memory foam, much better than the cheap foam in stock seats. I bought their brackets through them... Took a long time to get them.

3. May 24, 2015 at 5:44 AM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Like you, my wife & I had back pain with the OEM seats. The Corbeau's are nice, just the foam broke down quickly and now the steel frame is exposed on the driver side bolster due to my wife sort of sliding over/ out and tearing the fabric.

Here are 2 links to my build. A 3rd is coming soon to document my solid axle conversion.
    1. http://www.justacarguy.blogspot.com/search/label/Mike's truck
    2. http://www.justacarguy.blogspot.com/search/label/Mike's truck part 2

Should be fun once completed.

Thanks.

4. May 24, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Nice Taco! You've done some really nice performance upgrades, as well as some ingenious ideas. Sorry to hear about the Corbeaus, I actually was looking at their suspension seats but didn't go with them.

5. May 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM
    Ritchie

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    Thanks.

I just purchased a set of Corbeau Baja RS seats online... mainly because I already have their dual locking slider brackets. Much different than the GTII's. Went with the vinyl/cloth combo. Should hold up much better, different foam too.
    $635 shipped to my door for the pair. Hopefully I can install them next weekend.

Later.

6. May 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    LOL, that's the seat I was considering. That was probably the best plan to use your existing brackets. I'd be interested to know how you like those seats. Best of luck.

7. May 31, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Today I install LED blinkers on my All-Pro Baja bumper. Of course, I got the "hyper flash" problem by changing the flashing circuit with a high resistance/lower current light. I tried the fix in customtacos forum and it worked great. Thank you mtucker for this awesome writeup. Finished product here:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/12...-led-turn-signals-without-load-resistors.html

A couple of notes... you don't have to remove any part of the dash to get at the flasher module. I was able to reach my hand behind the cabin fuse box and wiggle it out. Also, I was able to grind down the resistor with it mounted on the circuit board. No soldering required. It does take a steady hand, I trimmed the resistor width to about 25% of its original size.

8. Jun 1, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    Ritchie

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    OK,
    I installed the Baja RS seats this weekend. A tad bit taller than the GTS II but are a much nicer seat IMO.IMG_2175.jpg

smuook[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Jun 1, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Man, those look great in your interior. I'm sure you gotta be happy. I'm very happy with mine, but part of me wishes I would have went with that seat. After you use them for awhile, let me know what you think about the suspension feature. Anyway, hope you enjoy them.

10. Aug 30, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    LCE Big Brake upgrade kit...

11. Aug 30, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    And calipers painted with G2 caliper paint kit...

12. Sep 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Finally got around to installing my new Tundra brakes. I've completed the fronts nut still have to do the rear brake line tomorrow.

Here is how the LCE performance upgrade kit compares to stock:

Rotors are the big difference... Larger diameter and thicker:

Calipers are only slightly bigger thank stock, but made to fit the bigger rotors:

Brake pads noticeably more surface area:

13. Sep 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    BTW, you can go with larger Tundra calipers, but you might want to check fitment with your wheels. This fit with plenty of room.

14. Sep 12, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Overall, install wasn't bad. You are obviously dealing with brakes so you need to be very diligent and careful.

The hardest part was this little guy, just due to location up on the frame deep in the wheel well. This is where new braided steel line meets hard line. Definitely worth buying the special 10mm wrench at auto parts store for this.

Here's more of the hardware installed:

Rotors, caliper, pads installed:

Wheel installed:

15. Sep 12, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    I'll finish rear line and bleeding tomorrow morning. Then I'll post my performance impressions after I get some miles on them.

16. Sep 12, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    Delta00

Delta00 ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
    Check Build
    Nice, they look great! I'm doing the same tomorrow with 13wl calipers.

17. Sep 13, 2015 at 3:22 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Good luck with yours. I'm pretty happy I did this, but the proof is in the pudding and I'll fully test tomorrow. But I can't imagine how these won't make a huge difference.

18. Sep 13, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Rear braided brake line installed. Brake bleed done. First impressions are very good. I've heard some say that they get more brake pedal travel... I'm inclined to agree with that so far. It takes awhile for them to bite hard. But when it hits, it is very strong. Plenty of stopping power. To be honest, when I install new stock rotor and shoes, the brakes tend to feel strong. So I'm going to hold back final judgement until I got more experience under different driving conditions. But good so far! :thumbsup:

19. Oct 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Added new home made roof rack. All parts from Home Depot or online, less than $100.

20. Dec 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    smuook

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Custom 3rd brake light mount and 4runner rear spoiler added. I created a special brake light mounting device out of aluminum "L" bar that I shaped with a hammer. Because the brake light restricts spoiler air flow, I opted for the 4runner spoiler with the slot cutout. This is supposed to be for visibility of the brake light, but I wanted this one to let airflow through the center. Because of the camper shell rear glass position when it is up, it limits how you mount the spoiler. I also installed some new gas props for the shell glass because it wouldn't stay up anymore. Overall, very satisfied with how it turned out.

Products Discussed in

To Top