1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow and Lockers!!!!!! READ NOW

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DdayIsNear, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    when you are turning...and you have lockers, there is no "slip" from the inside tire to the outside tire...using a locker actually deffeats the purpose of traction in the snow while turning, the tires will actually slip more if you are turning with lockers on....think of the mechanics behind what lockers do and it will "click"

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    This is m daily driver down in Antarctica

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Does anyone remembering just having to pump your brakes as you slid out of control? haha

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I do..... and I remember when ABS first came out, it was sooo hard trying to tell yourself (in a panic type situation) not to pump the brakes. It was a habit for years!!

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    ROFL.
    roll call for all us who got licenses on carburated, no ABS, stick shift trans AND 4wd, AM/FM (cassette ok ,cd not),glass headlighted, fly windowed,vinyl bench seated trucks.

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Southeast Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab Stock
    ON STOCK UNIT: Rear Leaf TSB, Leer Cap w/ Windoors, Michelin LTX M/S on ION 133s, K&N Filter, Cruise, Python Command Start/Alarm, Toyota Class 5 Hitch, Metra IPod Adapter
    5.5 car lengths at 55mph is WAY TOO LITTLE FOLLOWING DISTANCE.
    I was taught to count 2 seconds from the vehicle in front in normal dry traction driving conditions. 5.5 car lengths at 55 mph would go by in about 1/2 second or less. If the auto in front jambs on the brakes full force for any reason at all (or for no good reason - thought they saw a deer...) you would be up their ass before your foot hit your brake pedal. Reaction time while FULLY aware of the auto in front can take almost a second - never mind if you are reaching for your coffee, tuning the stereo, etc. etc.

THEN you have assess the situation and decide whether to steer around, brake hard or some combination of manouvers to avoid a collision.

And 2 seconds is for dry pavement. I try to double that when its icy/snowy or hard rain.

I hate tailgaters. 5.5 car lengths at 55mph is tailgating IMHO.

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Down shifting to slow down on snow and Ice come here and do that on a mtn pass and Ill pick you up at the bottom when you go off the edge ;) Neutral takes the drive away from the tires so less likely to slide and just use your brakes in moderation.

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    If I recall Commercial truck training, its 1 second for every 10 mph +1 second for reaction so the length varies, that method requires you to watch the vehicle in front of you pass a shadow,sign ,bump etc to guage spacing
    problem with all the methods in winter is who has bare tires and who has good snowtires

9. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Almost Ditto - Except it was a Dodge Duster (slant six with 3-on-the-tree.) AM radio - no FM!

10. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Southeast Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab Stock
    ON STOCK UNIT: Rear Leaf TSB, Leer Cap w/ Windoors, Michelin LTX M/S on ION 133s, K&N Filter, Cruise, Python Command Start/Alarm, Toyota Class 5 Hitch, Metra IPod Adapter
    I think a semi takes alot longer to stop than a Taco at the same speed - adding distance beyond the 2 seconds makes alot of sense for a commercial driver.

11. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    jilly07

jilly07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Westin Bull Bar, K C Lights, Weathertech Liners, Toyo All Terrain Tires, Dale Earnhardt, Jr Cannon (series 1091) wheels.
    ok, I just went through this whole thread and now????? what should I do? I have an automatic 4x4. I have to drive 50 miles on a very curvy mountain rd and the last 5 miles is nothing but about 26 stop lights on steep hills. I have never driven in the snow/ice. Can we get the "girl" a simple answer so I'm not at the bottom of the mtn? I should just call in sick....lol
    For real, I'm worried about it though.

12. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    Assuming there is snow/ice,drop the psi to 28ish psi,use 4wd, brake slowly, dont follow closely,bring chains and know how to put em on. Its not hard just take time and dont rush. The toyo a.t. tires arent bad, not a snow tire , but act predictably.

On a flat and straight area , w/o cars behind you , tap the brakes lightly to get the feel of the snow, do it again firmer. You'll not want to go the posted speed either.Mostly relax and just stay focused.

13. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    chains are illegal on trucks in nj..i can only assume the benefit is nice...

14. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    Wow. Oregon has chain laws requiring them based on vehicle type, even a 4wd is supposed to have em on the truck in some cases, but not all. Point is say a 7000lb crew cab chevy didnt have em on and had a wreck thats a ticket. If it had mtn/snowflake rated snow/AT/ASR tires he probably would not. lot of sifting to do on the laws.

15. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    jilly07

jilly07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Westin Bull Bar, K C Lights, Weathertech Liners, Toyo All Terrain Tires, Dale Earnhardt, Jr Cannon (series 1091) wheels.
    Ok, thanks. Last winter was pretty bad (for here), mostly ice, but I only worked about 10 miles from home then. It was impossible to get out for about 4 days, so I didn't really have to worry about it. Everyone at work keeps asking me how are u gong to get to work this winter, cause they know I don't know how to drive in snow/ice and I work at a prison so there is no closing for bad weather.

16. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    It can be a lot of fun. The thing is you get going ok , but its the stopping that uually gets people. If you can go on a trip on a weekend, play in the snow to get used to it.My sister drives 20 mi a day to work, I do snow/ice plowing when is snows and we ski, I still put a 2wd freightliner chained up on both axles in a ditch going 15mph, I think the slope of the corner pulled me in, such is the ice.

17. Oct 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    what about the heated tire mod...so we can all melt the snow away :)

18. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    First off....relax.
    The worst thing you can do, is be tensed up and freaked out.

First off...what routes are you taking? Because, if you're taking pretty busy roadways, they'll probably be plowed and salted and melted. The chances of you actually driving in the snow, will be minimal. So relax....

If you have to drive in it.... GO SLOW. Leave plenty of room before making stops or turns. You'll get the feel for things soon enough. It's all about experience - feelin the road, feeling how the truck handles.

If you lose traction - you can step on the gas a bit more, but just be aware of how the truck handles. If the rear-end kicks out....get off the gas. Go in reverse for a bit ...and try again.

Put about 200lbs of weight in the back of your truck, that'll help with traction.

Have cell phone with you in case you do get stuck. It's not the end of the world. Lots of people get stuck in the winter. Join the crowd and relax. It's just inconvenient.

The biggest mistake anyone can make...is going TOO FAST.
    If you're going too fast, then you're chances of getting out of control are much greater. You're far better off going slow...and getting stuck than you are going too fast and smashin into something.

19. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

For the cruise control you just need to pay attention when entering turns and hills, but you can still use it just fine. Just don't be a dumbass with it.

I drive over 400kms each week for work (Not including actual driving during those 4 days which may add another 400kms on top of that) and I use cruise all the time.

PS - Wicked with the Joe quote. :cool:

20. Oct 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    +1 on the parking lot / deserted road practice. There's nothing like feeling your car / truck break loose at low speeds and learning to properly control it. A buddy of mine had an old Volvo at one point, and it snowed a whole lot one weekend in December. (Memphis, TN. Really rare.) We went and drove around for about 6 hours from about 9PM - 3AM just exploring and seeing what all was going on. After feeling the car break loose and figuring out that if you're going slowly enough you have all the time in the world to think and recover from it, it's really not bad. The trick is to go slow and learn what everything feels like. It is vastly different from sliding on wet pavement, grass, or anything else.

I will say. We never got the ol' Volvo stuck, but we DID see lots of big 4wd SUV's and trucks stuck. Be smart and don't assume that just because it's a truck that you'll be fine. If 4 wheels slip, you're out of luck anyway. However, you're here asking about it, so you'll probably be smarter about it than those folks were. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top