1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow Chain Size restrictions on rear wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cdrew23, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    cdrew23

cdrew23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello tw -

So, I have a 2007 4x4 Tacoma w/sr5 (no trd package) and will need chains to have access to where i am looking at living.

The manual says to use chains w/ a side chain diameter of 5mm and a cross chain diameter of 6.3mm.

However, the diagram shows older ladder style traditional chains, and I recently purchased a set of newer chains.

I have 245/70r-16 tires installed currently, and just got some Thule XB-16 chains in, which as advertised feature 16mm links.

These chains are "SAE Class U" and are made for SUV's/Light trucks, so i dont think there is a problem, but i cant get an answer for sure from anywhere!

Will these chains be ok to run on the rear wheels ?

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Kiiity'sMommy

Kiiity'sMommy New Member

Member:
    As you have probably noticed, the Toyota manual is SO yesterday. Try the chains out. You already bought them and you need a way to bring the appraiser to the house. I say GO FOR IT!

3. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    cdrew23

cdrew23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    good call - great success!

4. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    I tough that having a 4X4 you do not need chains. Personally I have them
    just in case, but the road enforcers do not require for a 4x4.
    It is a good idea to carry them.
    Take care
    vbibi:(

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    i think technically you need chains even if you have 4x4 and you dont have snow/ice tires. But i have never seen anybody stopped with 4x4 and make them put on chains

6. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    as long as they fit over the tire and preferably don't mar up the rim.. it should be fine. Just check your clearances and make sure they're not loose.

7. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    No, I live in S. F. bay area My truck has only 7500 miles, but I made a habit to use bf Goodrich in the raining season. My first mod, after I bought the truck was to buy a extra set of rims from Greg' list and installed my "winter" tires on it. I am an old ski bum and travel to my Tahoe cabin often. Very rarely use chains, but always I have them
    Take care
    vbibi:(

8. Jan 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Looks like a good quality chain... with the diamond pattern you'll get great traction, and the allow components will prevent rust giving you more lifespan.

I chain up all 4 of my tires with a similar setup.

One concern, the SAE 'U' clearance rating. Second Gen Tacoma has a real clearance issue.. look around the back behind the front tires and you'll see how damn close those components are to the tire. An SAE 'S' clearance rating (the tightest sold in the USA) would be safer. Of course that's only an issue on the front. Since you put yours on the rear you'll be fine.

Of course if you have a 4x4 then I highly recommend you put them on the front. If conditions are severe enough to require chains then you'll appreciate having them on the front where you'll get better braking and steering/handling/control. They are far less effective in the rear.

90% of the time I never need chains up in snow country.. and when I do I usually just chain up the front.. and in extreme situations I chain up all 4.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I do use chains regularly here in the Northwest as we get some awesome white stuff :)

Products Discussed in

To Top