1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snowblower not running, help!

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by hogeyphenogey, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Jan 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey [OP] Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I have a 1.5 yr old snowblower, a Troy-bilt 2620. I am terrible with small engine care and I left the gas in it after last winter.

I tried to start it on Monday night to make sure all was ok because we were initially supposed to get some accumulating snow tomorrow.

It only ran when primed and it would die after that gas is burnt.
    I drained the tank, drained the bowl.
    I put in some sea foam and fresh gas. Primed it and let it sit for two days... Same issue.

I replaced the spark plug and still... Same thing. I can keep it running if I continuously push the prime button but once I stop it quits.

Is it time for professional help? I am less than a novice at tearing into things like this and my work area- the garage- is nice and cold so long term work out there is probably not going to happen. Fortunately, no snow in the immediate future.

Looking for ideas. Thank you for any assistance.

2. Jan 8, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  3. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    I just did drain it and went out, bought fresh gas and put that, along with some sea foam, into the tank. It did nothing. I changed the plug to it- same condition.

4. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    So the engine runs and starts if you prime it but doesn't stay running?

Makes me wonder if the fuel line has some gunk in it, but the fact that's it's starting would suggest the jets in the carburetor are ok

I would prime it, give the button several good hard pushes and get fuel and seafoam moving through

If that doesn't work might be a good idea to pull the lines and the carb apart some then give it a good shot of carb cleaner

5. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    The choke is in CHOKE position and the throttle is maxed out, the key is in the on position, the cord is plugged in, machine is primed.
    Fresh gas, no debris in the gas cap vent, brand new spark plug. Old gas was siphoned out and the drain on the bowl opened but nothing came out.

6. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Do you have idle jets high and low speed? A basic start point used to be screw them all the way in, then back them out 1 1/4 turns. Then you can fine tune from there. Sounds like you might cheat and open the low speed jet some to give a bit more fuel.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  7. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, and disassembly on this frightens the hell out of me. I was hoping to avoid that. You cannot even see the fuel line.

I did all of the steps, primed it with seafood in it, then left it overnight. Still a no go.

8. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Idle jets? Speaking foreign language.

9. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    Stupid question but is the gas cap on too tight creating a vacuum so no gas can get to it?

10. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:24 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Haha, seafood.....
    I don't think it has jets, (old stuff) You might have to clean the carb.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  11. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    It's the ethenol in the gas. Always run the carb dry. Add a fuel shut off before the carb if you don't have one. I buy ethenol free gas for my blower and my 2 stroke yard tools. It's well worth it.
    You need to pull the carb, take it apart, buy a rebuild kit, and a new fuel filter if it has one. Soak it in gas overnight and use carb cleaner and compressed air to blow the Jets out. Rebuild it with new gaskets and you should be OK.
    Buy ethenol free gas, or buy 93 octane and add star tron ethenol treatment. After the gas is 30 days old, dump it in your truck and buy fresh gas, and always always run the carb dry after every use. And drain the tank and carb after the season is over.

12. Jan 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    Marker4

Marker4 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 taco
    Take the carb apart, pull the main and pilot jet out. Clean the gelled gas out of the jets to insure they lwill let fuel pass. Next clean all passage ways in carb. Set air fuel mixture screw to 1 and 1/2 turns out. Reassemble and put fresh gas in the tank. Put stabil in the tank and never have this problem again.

Cheers

13. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:25 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    I love autocorrect....

14. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:27 AM
    hogeyphenogey

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Not a bad question, but I tried to run with the cap off and with the cap on. I had an old snow blower that ended up with ice inside the cap stopping the release of the pressure and it would only run with the cap cracked open.

15. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:32 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    http://www.pure-gas.org/

Once it's running again (may require a pro to do a carb kit, fuel line, etc.) ONLY use non ethanol fuel.

Wa-wa around here has it now. At the very worst you can usually find it at a marina. Stupid prices (at a marina), but you don't use much, so it's worth it.

16. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:37 AM
    zonian

zonian Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4X4 - Pyrite Mica
    Raptor 4" Black Oval Nerf Bars, Hard-Wired Uniden RD9XL Radar Detector, Anytime Fog Light Mod, 12V Power outlet in Bed, Tailgate Anti-theft Mod, Distinct Offroad lightbar, 2 Hella Micro FF Driving Lights, 2 Hella Micro FF Fog Lights, Rear Slider Window Opener
    Will it continue to run if you continue to push the primer bulb while it is running?

edit: Nevermind...just saw the answer in your OP.

17. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:39 AM
    Gunmaker

Gunmaker Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    Any chance that this engine has the vacuum operated fuel pump? If so, remove, blow out fuel line gently (mouth pressure), clean out port from intake of oily debris, then re-install.
    Has the needle and seat been cleaned? Gently spray some carb cleaner up inside the jet, (holes on the side of the tube where the carb bowl attaches. Try to spray down inside the jet from the venturi. Don't blow anything out with high pressure air. Hopefully helpful hints. Good luck.
    If you can locate Pri-G fuel stabilizer and put in fuel, I've had it correct these situations because it chemically reformulates the fuel.

18. Jan 9, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    If you get sta-bil get the marine version.
    It's gummed up with old fuel.
    Clean the carb and get new gaskets

19. Jan 9, 2016 at 10:40 AM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    My solution for snow blowers was to just move South...

20. Jan 9, 2016 at 10:48 AM
    L J

L J Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport DCLB
    Try opening the float bowl drain again. If no gas comes out I'd guess plugged needle/ seat or stuck float.

Products Discussed in

To Top