1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SnowBums slower than slow build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by SnowBum, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Oct 27, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    SnowBum

SnowBum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    Well gents and ladies this is my story, this is mostly so that I can keep track of all my stuff though.(I have the short-term memory of a goldfish) So when I was just a wee lad living out in the sticks of Ohio my father bought me my first truck, mostly so we could haul wood around but hey it was free what was i going to complain about? She was a beautiful red '91 T100, it was love at first sight.

Unfortunately for her that winter we had a horrible ice storm one night. I was coming home from an indoor soccer game and lost control on some black ice and ran her up a tree. The truck flipped over once and landed upside down. My friend and I crawled out of the back window unscathed.

Poor baby girl

473_1055561435381_3007_n.jpg

That was her in the junk yard a week later when we went to go and clean my stuff out of her. That's my buddy who was in the accident with me. I hit a tree on the driver side doing 40MPH. After seeing my truck like that and how fortunate we were I knew this was what I wanted when I grew up.

Fast forward nine years, six of that in the military, i'm finally able to afford the truck that I wanted.

This is how she sat the day i drove her home on April 21st 2016. 2008 DCSB Sport, v6, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Mongoose wheels. The best thing about it, only 44,000 miles on her.

Sitting Stock.jpg

So the first thing almost every good truck owner does is put a lift on her. Toytec ultimate 2.0 coil-overs, boss shocks, and toytec AAL
    20160514_091213.jpg
    20160514_131955.jpg

Putting these things on was a b****. Took me and a buddy eight hours to do the whole thing. The stock rear shocks did not want to come of no matter what we did, so we ended up cutting the damn things off. The front coil-overs were not near as bad, the first one took a while because I have never actually done any kind of work on trucks before. The second one went on like a glove.

For some reason I didn't take a picture of the rears but here is how the front looked.

She got some heels.jpg

After having a couple conversations with some people in the suspension forums I decided I needed new UCA's. Someone pointed me in the direction of JBA's new toyota UCA's and their lifetime warranty. And they color matched the shocks so I figured why the hell not.

Her stance was a little funky.jpg

Boom, beautiful. Now this project was another beast all in itself. The drivers' side UCA was seized to the spindle(i think that's what it's called). So again, we had to break out the angle grinder and cut the damn thing off. However that didn't seem to be enough, the heat from the grinder or some magical unicorn dust fused the bolt that attached the spindle to the UCA into the spindle bolt hole? Sorry i'm new at this mechanic stuff so I don't know all the proper names. Luckily for me my buddy had just bought a manual/hydraulic press thingy. So we took the spindle off the axle and throw it in between the press. Because of the spindle/axle giant metal block thingy we had to improvise with a ratchet extension and a punch to get it properly in there. BUT the little shit finally popped out and we were able to get the new UCA attached to the spindle.

All better now.jpg

Voila!! She lives
    Tacoma.jpg

She's sitting nice and pretty now! So somewhere in between the shocks and the UCA's I ordered myself a Relentless Summit front bumper. Some time goes by before I get to modding because of work and finances and such so i'm going to fast forward 6 months.

I got her a present.jpg

BOOM!! Bumper! Just picked her up from the warehouse. After some phone calls and pricing i decided on line-x.

Got it line-x'd.jpg

Not too shabby.

She got a face lift #2.jpg
    She got a face lift.jpg

I love the way she looks! Oh and i got tired of the chrome wheels so i plasti-dipped them black. As well as upgrading from 235/85/16's to 285/75/16's. I love the new stance! I ordered some cheap square LED's to fit into the square light slots and they should be here in about a week! Can't wait till they get in.

And now i have a legitimate question for those of you with a similar style bumper do you guys just leave that square metal piece sticking out? I'm contemplating taking an angle grinder to it but idk how important it is.

What do i do with this thing.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top