1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snowmobile Help Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by tacomajim5, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    tacomajim5

tacomajim5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    2.5" lift. Bilstein shocks all the way around, Falken Rocky mountain ats2 265/70/17, BHLM, thrush welded muffler, bed liner undercarriage, fender flares and rocker panels, nfab light bar, led off-road lights, grillcraft grill with old Toyota emblem, secondary air filter removed, cb radio, extra hooks in bed, removed front mud flaps, painted pinch weld black.
    I know this is probably a shot in the dark posting to this site but I am hoping someone has some knowledge of snowmobiles. I have been trying to help my buddy work on his 1987 yamaha exciter 570. The problem seems to be electrical. The compression was 125psi on the one cylinder and 130psi on the other. I am not sure of the exact specs but it seems to be pretty good. When we were working on it the other day we noticed it had no spark. He recently put a new cdi box on it so I suggested we try a new coil. With the new coil on we have spark. I am not sure if it is enough though cause it still won't start. It doesn't even attempt to start even with starting fluid in it. We tried disconnecting all of the ignition switches and kill-switches to see if they were the problem but they don't seem to be. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what else to look at. I am leaning more towards the stator. It may not be putting out enough juice to give proper spark. We are going to check it with a meter and see. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to take it to a shop as they want $60 an hour just to look at it.

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    tacomajim5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2.5" lift. Bilstein shocks all the way around, Falken Rocky mountain ats2 265/70/17, BHLM, thrush welded muffler, bed liner undercarriage, fender flares and rocker panels, nfab light bar, led off-road lights, grillcraft grill with old Toyota emblem, secondary air filter removed, cb radio, extra hooks in bed, removed front mud flaps, painted pinch weld black.
    The carbs were recently just clean and all the jets cleaned out as well. THe problem started when he blew a running belt and it revved kinda high. I am not to familiar with snowmobiles but have done lots of work on dirt bikes and quads. I am thinking it could be the tors system after reading online. I had a blaster that ran like crap cause of the tors then I bypassed it and it ran great.

3. Jan 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    tacomajim5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    It also has all brand new fuel lines as well.

4. Jan 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    tacomajim5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    I doubt anyone is following this thread but we have ironed out quite a few of the problems and now it seems that its going to need crankcase seals. We got it running great till it heats up then it dies.

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    stator

Products Discussed in

To Top