1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snowmobile on back of tacoma? Anyone using the cantilever type deck?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by KGN, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Dec 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM
    KGN

KGN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    So for those of you hauling a sled in the back(not trailer) of your first gen tacomas, what is your rig? I know this has been covered, but I am wondering if anyone is using this style in the two vids below?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGFd5ONC2g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj430iSuu2A

Obviously a larger sled isnt going to fit between the wheel wells on a first gen tacoma, and it seems all the cantilever sled deck pictures I see are on larger trucks where the sled can slide between the wheels. That said, I think it can be done and this style looks the easiest to load and unload. Just looking for anyone who has done it with their smaller truck..

I was thinking of having something fabricated and welded for the hitch, then making the actual deck that slides into the truck out of wood.

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Dec 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    Don't know the first thing about snow mobiles but loving that acoustic Royals cover in the second vid :thumbsup:.

ChadsPride and PROseur like this.
  3. Dec 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    couple years ago i made a sled deck to get up above the humps outa 4x4 2x4 and a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

i cant be bothered with it anymore so i just let one ski ride up on the hump.

sorry this is the only pic i could find.

DSC_0053.jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    kgw

kgw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kgw
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    140 amp alternator, Big 3 upgrade, Ultimate Headlight Mod, Trans Cooler
    Wow, digging the paint job!

ChadsPride likes this.
  5. Dec 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    Yeah its a cool acoustic cover for sure in the second video.

Anyhow, seems like I am in uncharted territory as far as this setup goes, I will post pics after I try it out if I choose this method. The video below has probably my favourite setup, seems simple enough. That said I am probably going to do the ghetto version in the first post to save cash, with a few mods. Otherwise I would have to get someone to fabricate it all up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-kHfyfiHCU

ChadsPride likes this.
  6. Feb 19, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    Well thought I would follow up a bit on this. I didn't build a cantelever style deck. I just built a box for it with a few mods to make it a little better for me.

Main difference is I can't fit my sled between the wheels, so I changed the design slightly. Sled is a skidoo expedition. Basically, I built a simple plywood deck, but it sits level with my wheel wells or just slightly below. I built the box in a "T" shape with the back half being wider to fit the ski width, and the front fitting between wheels. I wanted it this way as opposed to building it higher overtop to keep the sled lower in the truck. I didn't want it sitting super high.

I also made the ramps quite long, about the same length as the truck box plus the tailgate. This way I can crawl up the ramp slowly. Ramp is held to the box with a 1/2" length of barstock which was heated and bent on one end for easier use. The wide gap between the ramps hasn't been an issue. It's just what I had to do to accomadate the lower deck height and wide ski stance. I am going to add two wood cross pieces that drop into slats on the ramp to prevent any issues with ramps kicking out or sled sliding between the ramps.

I have loaded and unloaded about 12 times so far and it has been super easy. I can basically crawl up and down the ramp with very little throttle. When the sled is loaded and ramps are stowed underneath I secure them with straps hooked from the sled.

I used an old truck bed liner for the skis, being careful to fully cover any wood that could catch the ski carbides.

One disadvantage that's fixable but I overlooked is when you line the bar up with the holes in the ramp and deck, it won't line up unless the ramps are sitting on fairly level ground. So if you wanted to lay the ramp ends on say a snow bank, it won't work. So I need to address that, but it's a minor issue where I go.

Attached a few pics. I use this sled as an access sled, so I still end up ski touring up the steep areas. But it's been a helpful tool for my ski trips.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

7. Feb 19, 2017 at 9:23 PM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    A pic to show the overhang with the sled. This was before I had a ramp and box. I used a snow bank and drove it up over one of the wheel wells. This was okay, but I didn't like pounding my tailgate and it limited me in spots without an easily accessible snow bank.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

8. Feb 19, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    And in case anyone was wondering, yes, a 4cylinder tacoma is a little slow on mountain roads going uphill with a giant sled in the back :)

9. Feb 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Pickeledpigsfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Foothills, CA

Thats a great spot. Where is that?

10. Feb 19, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    Pics are backcountry areas off the Duffey Lake road between Pemberton and Lillooet BC.

ckblum likes this.
  11. Feb 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    To be fair a 4cyl toyota is slow in pretty much all terrain/conditions.

12. Feb 20, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    True but now when I take the sled out it feels like I have a fast truck for a while.

13. Mar 10, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    KGN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    image.jpg image.jpg

I added a little kicker to the ramp it makes loading easy on iced parking lots ect, and keeps the ramps from kicking out. So far so good with the ramp. Easy build. See how long it lasts.

TheSwede likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top