1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I got new shoes today (Micheline M/S 2 265/70/17) and need advice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Steelers Fan, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    Steelers Fan

Steelers Fan [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Console vault, TRD cold air
    So after reading several reviews of these tires I decided they fit the bill for me. I had them installed today and noticed a huge difference than the stock Dunlop tires I replaced. The main difference is obvious the Micheline is a much nicer tire! But I also noticed they ride "rougher" or not as smooth as the stockers. As I drive 60 mph I notice the passenger seat vibrates slightly and getting up to speed seems more labored. I know this is probably a function of the increased size and the fact that
    I have gone to a more aggressive tread. I did get them balanced and aligned. Any thoughts on smoothing it out a bit? Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    You're describing two different symptoms by saying rough, and vibrations. If the ride is rough, the tire pressure is probably set too high. If you're getting vibrations, they need to be re-balanced. So if you're experiencing both, then both need to be checked obviously.

You bought just about the best mannered tire on the market, and the size you chose will not create a rough or shaky ride. I would take it back to the shop and have the pressure checked and balance re-done.

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Toyanvil

Toyanvil Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't laugh, but check your air pressure. Sometimes the tire shops leave them high.

4. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Steelers Fan

Steelers Fan [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Good call, was thinking too much I guess will check pressure in the AM. The Vibrations are minor and will also have them rebalanced by local shop. Bought em at Sears and don't want to go back, but that's another story! Thanks.

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    Steelers Fan

Steelers Fan [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Another quick question about alignment, does this sound reasonable after alignment?
    Left:
    Camber: 0.4
    Caster: 1.9
    Toe: .03

Right:
    Camber: 0.2
    Caster: 1.9
    Toe: .04

Just want these babies to last a long time. Acceptable or take it back and have it redone?

6. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    i had MS2s installed and its butter smooth. cant say enough good about how awesome these tires are. esp on the highway. the dealer put them on and had the air cranked up to 42PSI! i dropped them to 35 and its been much better. it was a really hard ride at 42, worse than the OE rubber.

there should be no vibrations, esp w these shoes... i would continue to align and balance. use a reputable shop.

7. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

This is GREAT advice. Many shops will over-inflate your tires. I like mine at 38 psi. I feel that is the perfect balance between a comfortable, smooth ride, but not too mushy, slightly firm. If you have any kind of shake, vibration, or shimmy it's almost certainly a balancing issue. Remember those that hammer those weights on are under pressure to get cars out of the bays real quick. I should know I used to work in a tire shop when I was a teenager. I can't tell you how many times we grabbed the wrong weights and hammered them on the wheel. Happened all too often. All it takes in one weight either not hammered on or the wrong weight. It's a simple mistake.

8. Oct 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my work truck..the shop sent me bouncing down the road at 75-80psi. my TPMS lit up!!

i checked all my tires and i thought my gauge was broken. lowered it, and all was right. i dont know what the tech was thinking.

i would check the PSI for sure.

9. Oct 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    Steelers Fan

Steelers Fan [OP] Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Yep, great advice. I took it to local shop today and tires were not balanced correctly. I also deflated tires from 44, 44, 42, and 38 psi to 38 psi all the way around and it now drives exactly as I hoped it would. Great tires and great ride! Thanks guys.

10. Oct 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

See we never steer you wrong here on Tacoma World! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top