1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I just had the Leaf Spring TSB done and... *pics*

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TREY4x4, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    TREY4x4

TREY4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4 DBCB, 2010 TRD OR 4x4 DBCB
    Bilstein 5100's front/back set at 1.75", Pioneer AVIC110-BT head unit, JL 6x9 front and Alpine 6.5 rear, OEM bed mat, Weathertech floor mats, OEM sill protectors, Window tint, N-Fab side steps
    Date: 07/23/2010
    Service Advisor and Assistant Service Manager: Jon Oglesby

Let me start off by saying Jon is probably the best service advisor I've dealt with when it comes to Toyota.

Jon was great about helping me get the leaf spring TSB completed. But, when he called to let me know I could pick up my truck, he said "we completed the recall". I was stunned for a sec and said, "I know you didn't cut my pedal" and he said "that's exactly what we did".

At this point, I told him I would be there in a few min. and we can discuss it then.

When I got there, he and I talked a bit and he gave me the Toyota quality phone number and said a lot of people are complaining and if you simply call this number and tell them about your dissatisfaction, they will mail you a new pedal and we will install it for free.

To make a long story short, I called the number and they gave me a case number and said the customer satisfaction rep from the dealer will call me within 3 days to discuss.

I'm not really that upset about the pedal, and Jon said the tech did it without his knowledge. I guess this is just a warning to everyone who takes their Tacoma's in for service... you need to clarify up front.

Also, the ride is much stiffer with the new springs. Just how it should have been from the factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    for the hassle i had to go through to get the rear TSB
    I would of gladly taken the shorter pedal.
    but i understand being pissed when they do something
    without asking first.

If you drive it awhile, let us know how the shorter pedal feels and works for you.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Good to know. I'm taking mine in for the springs as soon as the parts come in. Thanks.

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    kenstar

kenstar Get a Lil Mud on the Tares

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wrenching in the garage.
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD OR
    Pop 'n' Lock, EGR In-Chan, Bakflip G2, 6112, 5160, Dakar Set. Redline hood struts. WildPeak At3. TRD Pro Wheels. Apex Fab Fog lights; Other shit I can't remember.
    haha! that pedal looks awkward as hell. looks like someone took some pruning shears and tried to make some sort of pentagon with your pedal. i would def get it replaced.

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    so wait, the squeaky leaf springs are a recall!? then if this is true im gettin mine done for sure!

6. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    No, this is the harsh ride TSB. The stock 3 leaf pack does not hold the proper weight rating and will bottom out under a heavy load going over normal bumps causing a harsh ride.

Leaf springs will squeak when debris get in them... no matter what vehicle it is. Nature of the beast.

7. Jul 24, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    joleger

joleger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    I had the recall done last week and I don't notice any difference with the pedal...and I have manual transmission. It's not a big deal really.

8. Jul 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    I had my springs done at Toyota Mall of Georgia also, Jon was my service advisor as well. I love my new springs and Jon was great. What is it like driving with the pedal cut?......Seems really useless since you have weather tech floor mats........Gotta wonder what idiot came up with this idea.

9. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    jlboudreau

jlboudreau Member

Member:
    Clare
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Tauna Cover
    so i have an 06 with no warranty obviously .. and my truck hits bottom with my 70 pound black lab in the back ... I mean i can barely carry gorceries without hitting the bump stops ... its beyond annoying and even embarassing when I have someone aboard .. i'snt this a truck not a car ... anyone know how much a new set of leafs sell for in canada?

10. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    I don't see the huge deal in them cutting your pedal. Toyota did mine this past Saturday and didn't realize it until I read this thread. I ran outside to look at my pedal and sure enough...it was cut. lol

BIG DEAL. I would have never noticed.

11. Aug 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    Marfan1007

Marfan1007 I play with poo.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    MS Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner TRD Off Road SR5
    -Hunter Bull Bar -Black Stallion Taillight Grill Guards -Pioneer AVH-4200DVD Pioneer 3 way door speakers, Pioneer amp and shallow 10" sub -Tonnopro bed cover -Ambient floor lighting

x2 I have a 2010 with 10K on it and would like to know if I can get it done next time I bring it in for an oil change.

12. Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yep it applies to the 2009s and 2010s as well. Just had my 2010 leaf springs replaced at Toyota of Colorado Springs. The first service advisor was kind of a dick and did everything he could to discourage me, but the service manager (Dan Moran) was awesome. Told me I had nothing to prove and that they'd be happy to do it. And they did! Ride is much better with 4 packs.

13. Aug 7, 2010 at 1:21 AM
    Marfan1007

Marfan1007 I play with poo.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    MS Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner TRD Off Road SR5
    -Hunter Bull Bar -Black Stallion Taillight Grill Guards -Pioneer AVH-4200DVD Pioneer 3 way door speakers, Pioneer amp and shallow 10" sub -Tonnopro bed cover -Ambient floor lighting
    Thanks! I was gonna make up some bs story about having to tow a boat so they would do it but if they will have to honor it regardless, I'll just talk to the stealership owner if they give me hell in the shop.

14. Aug 7, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I agree. It almost looks like it is making matters worse if you have Weather Techs (like I do). It is increasing the chance of the bottom of the pedal going over the top edge of the mat and getting stuck there.
    Not that I ever heard of this happening with the Weather Techs, but just sayin', it looks counter productive.

15. Aug 7, 2010 at 4:04 AM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II

I got mine done at Toyota South, just south of Atlanta. They also did the computer update for the accelerator, but didn't trim my pedal. No questions as regarding the TSB. Even overnighted the leafs so they could do it the day after I took it in to complain about the ride. They did a great job.

16. Aug 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    It's too bad they couldn't just replace the pad with a nice factory made looking pad. Cutting it off is a cheap way to get out of it. Last month was when I found out about the recall when I took my truck in for my free oil change. They wanted to do the recall and said it would be about 90 minutes more, I declined since I was waiting for the truck. 20 miniutes later the oil was done and I ran out of there. I wanted to see what this pedal mod looked like and if anyone had a problem. So far I haven't seen anyone with a problem. Maybe next time I'm in I will get it done.

I would like to know how the Toyota hotline thing goes, if they send a replacement pedal and if it's just the new shorter distance or if it's like the original.

-Joe

17. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Did you ever hear back from the Toyota rep about your case number?

18. Aug 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    For those who had the leaf springs replaced. Please somebody explain the ride quality after it was done. I read people saying now it rides perfect, other now the ride is harsh ????? I'm getting very confussed. I have a 2010 double cab, sport package with 1800 miles and I have back problems. With that said, should I have the TSB done or leave it as it is ???

Thanks

19. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    It's not bone jarring at all if that's what you're thinking. It's still a very smooth ride! The truck just feels a little more sure of itself, like there's less body roll going around corners and such. Less car now and a little more solid feel. It just feels tighter to me. But like I said, the ride is still very pleasureable and smooth. I'll tell you what isn't smooth though ... beating frame on the bumpstops because you're carrying a load in the bed, and the 3 leaf packs bottom out. But that being said, if you have back problems and you love your ride now, then don't feel like you need to mess with it. You have up until 3 years or 36,000 miles to get it done if you want.

20. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    I have the same truck as you, and I had the TSB done because my motorcycle was too much for the 3 pack springs (stock). I am glad that I won't bottom out the new (4 pack) ones as easily, but I definitely think the ride is much stiffer. I would suggest that if you don't carry heavy loads, then try driving it as is; with the TSB I think it is definitely stiffer (bounces more over freeway expansion joints).

Products Discussed in

To Top