1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I think I trashed my transmission...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ghoststoglory, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jul 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    ghoststoglory

ghoststoglory [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    A little history first...
    I bought the truck in November of 2009 with 85,000 miles on it (@90,000 now). It's a 2001 4wd V6 3.4L with an automatic transmission. For the first few months I spent tuning it up, and clearly it had not been taken care of very well. All of the fluids hadn't been changed in a very long time, and the fuel/air filters were old and crappy. So fast forward to March of this year. I cranked it up after work one day (it was sitting for 9 hours), and I could not get it to go into drive. I backed it up just fine, but then when I put it into drive, it wouldn't engage. I sat there for a minute, cycled it from Drive to Reverse to Park, etc. and it engaged fine. It did this about 4 times over a two week period. After speaking with some folks on here, they recommended that I change the tranny filter and fluid. I did that, put Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid in, and the problem went away. The other fluid looked old, but not particularly terrible. Four months later, last week, I was unable to get into drive again, and it happened twice in two days. And then, things got crappy. I was backing out of my driveway, and I hear a shearing sound going into reverse. I put it in park, and the shearing/grinding was louder. I turned the truck off, took a look underneath, and tried again. The same thing happened, and this time, I realized it would not go into any gear. So...my questions are as follows...

1) Is my tranny shot, or is there a way to fix "something" without pulling it out.
    2) How difficult is the tranny to pull out? (I am a fairly competent mechanic, but have only ever pulled one other tranny out of a Nissan)
    3) Should I look into having it rebuilt or buy a new one?
    4) Should I try to rebuild it myself? (I've heard it's quite hard...)
    5) Should I download the FSM?

Guys, I really appreciate your help, because I really don't trust anyone opinion except for Taco owners, or a really good mechanic (I'm new to my area and don't know any). Thanks again for your help.

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    What city you in? Maybe someone can point you to a good shop.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    ghoststoglory

Member:
    wichita falls texas

4. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
  5. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    1) Is my tranny shot, or is there a way to fix "something" without pulling it out. dunno, try changing fluid again and clean off the magnet, check for any metal chunks
    2) How difficult is the tranny to pull out? (I am a fairly competent mechanic, but have only ever pulled one other tranny out of a Nissan) not very hard, depending on 2wd or 4wd, idk what has to be removed on stock trucks but transmisssions are fairly simple to R&R
    3) Should I look into having it rebuilt or buy a new one? weigh your options, money talks, if you plan on keeping the truck AAMCO offers a lifetime warrenty on rebuilds
    4) Should I try to rebuild it myself? (I've heard it's quite hard...)if you have to ask, simply no. its not too complex more of replacing what needs to be replaced and putting it back in the same order after cleaning, it sounds like you stripped your planetaries
    5) Should I download the FSM? someone beat me to it

7. Jul 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    ghoststoglory

Member:
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to go drain the pan now and take a look...I will keep the AAMCO idea in mind.

8. Jul 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    how did it look, any metal chunks (not little slivers)

9. Jul 11, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    After speaking to a fellow Tacoma owner... he changed a rear taillight housing (found and aftermarket one) and from that point he had nothing but transmission problems. He could not get it into drive yet he could get reverse and the lower gears he also noticed some unusual electrical issues. He discovered that the aftermarktet tailight housing and plug weren't wired correctly and he had a bad ground. He rewired it and from that day it worked fine

10. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    ghoststoglory

Member:
    No little slivers...everything looked OK. The fluid was a lot darker than I thought after 2,000 miles though. The drive shafts were seized, so I stopped for the day, not going to be able to work on it until next week. I've got to borrow an impact wrench and compressor from a friend...

As for the tail light, I think this is straight mechanical problem. This is a legit grinding noise, like something sheared. I appreciate the advice though, I wish it was that simple. :(

11. Jul 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    if its still apart try completely cleaning the magnetic filter.

it sounds like your pump has gone bad

12. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    ghoststoglory

Member:
    So I'm kind of stuck at this point in taking the transmission out... (this is in the FSM)

(c) Turn the crankshaft to gain access to each bolt, remove
    the 6 bolts with holding the crankshaft pulley bolt with a
    wrench.
    Torque: 41 N·m (420 kgf·cm, 30 ft·lbf)
    HINT:
    At the time of installation, first install green colored bolt and then
    5 other bolts.

How in the heck am I supposed to turn the crankshaft? It turned a little when I took the first bolt out, but it sort of seems seized. I tried switching gears manually (by moving the lever from park to neutral to drive) but it still won't move. I'm also really not entirely sure what the crankshaft pulley bolt is...is it on front of the engine? Thanks for any advice...hopefully it's a simple solution and I'm just oblivious.

13. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    swendling12

swendling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg Cab SR5 4 cyl 5spd 4x4
    Im guessing that your clutch disks are fried, and the internal filter is plugged up from the material, causing the pump to not be able to draw enough fluid, create enough pressure etc... Find a good local shop, Rebuilds from a mom and pop shop arn't that bad...

14. Aug 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Armchair diagnostics of auto transmissions are sketchy at best. You can test 85% of the trans from the case. A pressure check and test of the solenoids will tell you alot. You would need the correct tools and a manual. It's best left to a shop for a daily driver. If you plan on going into fixing transmissions, you have a great learning tool.
    Specialized rebuild tools are expensive, and not usually good for multiple transmission models. The knowledge of how to fix them is comparative. It's do-able, but not very cost effective for a one time fix.

15. Aug 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Could be a sun gear on the main shaft between the secondary shafts with the gear cluster with the sound you describe,,,,,something to consider anyway...:confused:

16. Aug 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    im wandering if hes got this fixed yet?

17. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    ghoststoglory

Member:
    I don't have it out yet, still trying to loosen the crankshaft bolts (see my post halfway down)...

18. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Crankshaft pulley is the large one on the bottom face of the motor. It will be below the water pump and fan. There is a bolt in the center of the pulley that you can turn it by. It will help to remove the spark plugs to relieve the pressure of the compression strokes. Put the tranny in neutral, just make sure the wheels are chocked and the parking brake is set.

19. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    For reference: Crank pulley is the very bottom one in the middle

[​IMG]

20. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If you have trouble getting it off (crankshaft bolt) Heres an easy fix, get a breaker bar with short extension with socket ,when you place it on the bolt make sure you have it(breaker bar) wedged against the ground,frame, or any other strong surface.

Now have someone just "tap" the starter & I guarantee it will come off, that bolt is a bastard almost always, its torqued to about 200 & something pounds if I recall, this way souinds waaay more risky than what it really is. Just get it on the bolt straight, brace the bar against something, & just hold it steady & let the starter do the rest of the work... piece of cake......:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top