1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So my son almost got suspended from school.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bueller, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    bueller

bueller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    My son is a freshman in high school and yesterday was cinco de mayo. The school thought it would be a good idea to play the morning announcements in spanish so my son says "aren't we supposed to know what the announcements are? Don't we speak English in America?". Even though all his classmates agreed, he was promptly sent to the office and they called me in. The principal tells me that open bigotry and prejudice will not be tolerated and is grounds for suspension or expulsion. I had a few choice words with him and my son was freed from discipline and told to go back to class.

Am I wrong here from getting upset that my son said something that makes sense? I don't see Mexico celebrating July 4th?

This isn't about prejudice. My best friend is Hispanic (and he agrees with my son), so I don't want this to turn into some race thing. It isn't.

2. May 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    I agree. don’t see why it should be a problem. kids can’t hardy say anything anymore in school without getting sent to the office.

3. May 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I want to give your son a high five.

My roommates girlfriend (who is hispanic) yelled at me for wearing an American Flag shirt all day yesterday.

4. May 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Meh, you aren't wrong, but not right either imo. If anything his comment is just funny/kinda snarky. Either way not worth the hassle of getting in trouble from some over sensitive school folks. I had to learn that kind of lesson the hard way when I was growing up, for what its worth. Know your audience, and know when it is worth the fight and when it isn't. Looking back its a miracle I made it through the school systems, lol.

At least you get a nice learning moment out of the situation, hehe.

5. May 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Agreed. When I was in high school a couple years ago we had a dress code policy where any logo on a shirt was not permitted. As in we had to wear polo style shirts tucked in with khaki pants or black pants. Nothing wrong with wanting the students to look nice. My problem with the logo issue was the administrators and board of education's excuse was logo could make other not so fortunate kids feel put down? I didn't agree. Maybe I'm wrong here.

6. May 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    muddedtaco

muddedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Rattle caned black, Mossy oak door panels, shifter shroud, and radio cluster surround
    That's the same way I feel about it, if I learned one thing in school it is that they blow things like this way outa proportion.

7. May 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    LT1

LT1 Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC/LB/4x4/TRD supa sport!
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    Sometimes its about how the message is sent, not the message itself. I agree with your son's point of view, but if your son sent his message out blatantly rude, it comes off as bigotry sometimes, even if he's not prejudiced or a bigot...

8. May 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Cinco is an American holiday to promote Boozin and the fact that it is the Mexican battle of Pueblo against the French means NADA.
    Just let it go!
    Kind of like st. Patricks day!

9. May 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    ya...thats going a little to far, I'd have raised hell in a situation like that.

then again, my sister nearly got suspended for saying something outside of school...but it was a private school so that may have been part of it

10. May 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    bueller

Member:
    AZ
    My son is not a rude kid at all and he said it with a smile in a joking way. He said everybody was still talking before class started and he was talking to another student. The teacher overheard him and stepped in. If he had directed it to the teacher I would have called him out on it.

11. May 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    i'm sure he said it that politely, at school his rights have been signed away and you must be PC.

12. May 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    we never had anything like that at my HS. hell there was like 1800 to 2k kids and between 1/4 and 1/2 where rednecks. we did not get in trouble for taking a pocket knife as long as we turned it in, now if they where doing a search and found it we did. if we turned it in we got it back at the end of the day without parents even coming down. but we could not wear rebel flag belt buckles...or wear hats at all..... :rolleyes: there is other stuff we could say that most schools would not allow, yet some stuff we could not...

13. May 6, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    School blew it out of proportion I guess its the progressive side of society. I don't think Mexico even supports that holiday very much

14. May 6, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Should have asked the Principal if the announcements would be in Gaelic on St Patric's Day or Italian on Columbus Day......we have to be fair

15. May 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    bueller

Member:
    AZ
    You want to hear something funny and sad? I made that same comment about speaking Gaelic on St. Paddy's day to the principal, and he said he didn't get it, "well that doesn't make sense since they speak English in Scottland." If I had a gun, I would've offered it to him so he could just shoot himself, lol.

16. May 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    que?

17. May 6, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    My teacher would be laughing his ass off I said that

18. May 6, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    This is America and we do speak English if you don't like it well there is the border cross it and don't let the gate hit you on the way out. I mean if I go to Germany they expect me to speak and understand German if I was going to live there same goes for every other country. When you go to any other country you should abide by their language and culture. Your son should get a high five for what he said.

19. May 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    muddedtaco

muddedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Rattle caned black, Mossy oak door panels, shifter shroud, and radio cluster surround
    X2

20. May 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    520Toyota

520Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    C.V.
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    dcsb 6spd 4x4 offroad
    Ome lift
    Sad but true, our country is slowly being taken over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top