1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SoCal Camping ideas? LA beaches north to san fran? help

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by NYCO, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jul 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    NYCO

NYCO [OP] go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    will be taking a road trip from colorado>lake tahoe>la>big sur>san fran>tahoe>colorado in 2 1/2 weeks and looking for a place to stay by the beaches saturday the 4th...

i have a place to stay in l.a. for friday night, then saturday i was going to take my lady to the beaches and cruise up and down the coast near l.a./venice/santa monica then end up in big sur sunday (i have camping reserved up there for sunday night)

so i'm looking to find a place to setup camp for that saturday night before heading up the PCH on sunday morning..

anyone have a camping location or general direction that they could share?

it'll be one vehicle and a tent so the spots don't have to be big...we'll be road trippin' in my fiance's murano, so accessibility is not as great as i'd have with the tacoma, but can still get to some spots in the mountains if there's any good spots just north of the city...

also looking for suggestions around the san fran area for when we explore that area as well....we'll be heading up from big sur to san fran monday-wednesday...

thanks for any suggestions! can't wait to get out there!!

2. Jul 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
  3. Jul 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Pismo would be sweet in the Taco, but I wouldn't take a Nissan Murano loaded with people and cargo onto the sand.

No where really to camp along the beach in LA...closest beach camping to the south is Bolsa Chica State Beach, and then probably north of Malibu.

If you want to stay somewhere between LA and Big Sur, my suggestions in order of preference would be:

Lake Cachuma (near Santa Barbara)
    El Capitan State Beach (near Goleta)
    Refugio State Beach (near Lompoc)
    San Simeon State Park (near Cambria)
    Montana de Oro State Park (near San Luis Obispo)

All are great sites that are easily accessible and right along your route (assuming you're taking the 101 North, to 154 North (san marcos pass), to the 101 North again and to Hwy 1 (PCH) to Big Sur.

Have fun! That is considered one of the, if not THE most beautiful and scenic drives in the world. :)

Oh and if you have time/never been, I HIGHLY suggest you head south on the 395 from Lake Tahoe through Tioga Pass into Yosemite Natl Park and then to Fresno>LA. I have been there over 20 times, but it still takes my breath away each time I visit. Easily the amazing place I've ever been.

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM
    DIRT YOTA

DIRT YOTA Aka EL ROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' dbl cab with some stuff
    Jalama beach north of Santa Barbara a bit? Place is badass! An estuary river mouth with a tresel train bridge, full store/grill. Also a great spot o surf at south end called tarantulas, just watch out or the locals in gray suits.....mean mother fers!

5. Jul 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    NYCO

NYCO [OP] go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    thanks for the suggestions guys!

a murano on the beach at pismo also has me worried...if my gas mileage wasn't so shitty compared to her truck i'd be taking the tacoma out there, but that would nearly double the gas funds..

added Tioga Pass to the itinerary!

checking out those camping spots you guys recommended...

if i show up to cachuma lake or jalama beach on a saturday do you think there will be campsites open? it says they're on a first come first serve basis but they have 400 sites at cachuma and 98 at jalama

el capitan, refugio are booked for that night..

the other two are getting too far north...we'll be hitting up the beaches for the day saturday and would still need to drive to camp that evening/night..

some amazing state parks you guys have out there though..the more i look at them, the more points of interest i add to my trip haha

so much to do, so little time...

really the only place we have to be along the way from long beach to san fran is at plaskett creek on sunday night...the rest so far is up in the air..

i've already extended this trip by 1.5 days for added points of interest :laugh:

6. Jul 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    DIRT YOTA

DIRT YOTA Aka EL ROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' dbl cab with some stuff
    Take pictures ;)

7. Jul 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    NYCO

NYCO [OP] go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    sure will...just got a new lens for my camera to help with landscapes and will have 32 gb of cards to fill :D

Products Discussed in

To Top