1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Schwinn, May 24, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    I've been noticing lots of scratches on my month old black Tacoma, the tonight I lightly rubbed the side with a paper towel, and it left a bunch of scratches. WTF?? Then I used my fingernail, and again, scratches. Last week I gave my wife poo for opening the door with the keys in her hand because of all the scratches. Then I realized she'd only driven it once. Both door handles are covered in scratches in the handle well. Soft paint? Crap paint? Not y cured? What gives? I have waxed it, too.

2. May 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Black paint... It's absolutely brutal, and shows EVERYTHING! You look at it, and it's got a scratch. I own a black car, and I know the pain you're feeling. Your best bet is to keep it away from wash brushes, and anything else that can scratch. Wash it in the touchless bays ONLY.

Keep it waxed, as that will help your situation out a bit. Other than that, just be prepared for lots of maintenance to keep it looking new. Black is the toughest colour to keep looking good.

3. May 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    oneBIGroom

oneBIGroom SSS

Member:
    First Name:
    SSS
    SSS
    Vehicle:
    SSS
    SSS
    I've heard bad things about 2nd gen's paint.

4. May 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Taking care of black paint is a royal PITA. On my Black Sand Pearl Taco I only use microfiber cloths to wax and a clean soft sponge to wash/dry to prevent scratches to the paint. Don't use rags (such as t-shirts, etc.). They will scratch.
    Be sure that the paint is absolutely free of any dust particles before you wax the truck, or you will end up with swirl marks.

The 2nd gen Tacoma's paint isn't really unusually soft, but rather the dark color of the paint makes imperfections stand out more clearly.

I wash/wax my truck once a week and clay bar/polish/wax/seal the truck every 6 months. It's a ton of work to keep black paint looking new but the reward is truly worth the effort.

IMG_4313_bd98d3ed74c64d6097452a2f6cb4b02ec7bb3d55.jpg

5. May 25, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    No doubt.

Also, I'm not a bit surprised that a paper towels and fingernails scratched your paint. I've even scratched paint with a microfiber.

Waxing helps, because you have a small barrier and somewhat of a lubricant (carnauba is actually slightly greasy) on your paint.

Also, don't wait until its really dirty to wash it. The more dirt you let accumulate, the more likely it is to scratch when washed.

6. May 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    This is my third black vehicle. I'm guessing I'll have to re-think the whole desire to take it off-road if I don't want a bazillion scratches. I know they would happen, but if it scratches that easy, it'll look flat black after one run. I'm almost tempted to buy fifty cans of clear Plasti-Dip and cover it! It's ridiculous how easy it scratches.

7. May 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I would put on some Klasse sealant. Gives you a layer of acrylic over the paint. Supposed to last longer than a carnuba wax. I might also suggest a porter cable or a flex orbital polisher. Really helps with taking out minor imperfections.

Products Discussed in

To Top