1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softopper shrinkage?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by The Wolves, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Nov 14, 2021 at 4:21 PM
    The Wolves

The Wolves [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I put my softopper down for a couple weeks just for the hell of it. Came back today to put it back up and I cannot get it to cbuttom back up. And the only thing I can think of is that the fabric shrunk? Am I crazy? Anyone else experience this before? Mine has always been a little tight when buttoning up but this is impossible. Attached a pic as well that shows where it sits, after I got the opposite side buttoned down.

AF83BC78-5ECC-4B58-BA2A-5C3AF0E4CF7D.jpg

2. Nov 14, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Nothing in your pic looks alarming to me. The frame is clearly in a relaxed position so it should be expected that the cover would not snap into place if you're trying with it just like you have it pictured. Or at least it'd be tough to do so.

If you let it warm up in the sun it'll be easier, if it's cold it can be too stiff to go easily back into place. Use the straps at each corner to snug the frame down more and more until the frame sits low enough to get the cover to snap into place. You may need to snug them down more than feels safe, but, in my experience you can snug these down A LOT without any issues. When you start snapping the cover on, you shouldn't be doing one side at a time like you mentioned. Unsnap that side you have snapped in. Then start with the forwardmost snaps on each side. Go back and forth from side to side snapping them in place as you work your way to the back. Snugging the straps as needed to give yourself a little more slack.

That said, I believe that the covers can shrink a little over time. I just wouldn't suspect that it'd happen overnight like that. The Softopper is designed with some adjustability that can help with fitment. Look at the little brackets that bolt to the side rails. The ones with the pin that each side of the frame slips over. You'll notice that bracket has three holes in it. You can move the pin up or down in three different settings. The lower settings could be used if you're having issues getting the fabric to snap into place.

Lastly, check the frame for damage. There are rivets that hold the pieces of the frame together and if they break the frame can get a bit out of wack and that could also be causing issues. Luckily, Softopper is a great company and sell almost every little part and piece of hardware in case you lose or break something.

toysrgood and RugglesTarlek like this.
  3. Nov 14, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    The frame is definitely not relaxed. It’s cranked down but how would cranking the frame down more help with a fabric that’s clearly too short to snap into the frame?
    Regardless of how I tried to snap the fabric down, it never worked. Front to back. Back and forth, nothing. It just started bending the frame upwards and bending the interior frame rails more too.

and I’m going to rule out cold. It was damn near 90 out today. And has been for about a week.

4. Nov 14, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Cooler weather. I've owned several Wranglers over the years, some with hard tops, some soft tops. You don't want to take the top off in cool weather. If you do, they can be a PITA to get back on. It may be 90 now for the high, but I'm betting it was hotter earlier, and for more hours a day. Set it out in direct sunlight for a few hours or use a hair dryer to warm it up.

Wahayes likes this.
  5. Nov 14, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Can you take another pic, showing the front, passenger side strap? In your photo, that strap appears loose. The angle is wrong compared to what it'd look like if it were snugged down. The angle between the strap and the side rail should be >45 deg but yours is clearly <45 deg. The rear strap is harder to see in your pic but it also doesn't appear to be the correct angle for it to be snugged properly. See in my pics below how my front strap is much more vertical than it is horizontal?
    D9051831-4DE5-4005-961E-C1CFC41BB369_1_105_c.jpg
    43D45324-939A-4074-827C-790C9F5CC6DB_1_105_c.jpg

It makes a MASSIVE difference. By cranking down those 4 straps the top of the frame will get lower and lower. Thus, reducing the distance from the top of the frame to the top of the bedside. If put in place, before being snugged down the top of the frame will actually be a couple inches ABOVE the top of the cab. Once you snug those straps down it should be relatively even with the cab. That height difference makes all the difference in the world regarding how easily the fabric fits on top.

Sounds like this isn't the cause of the problem but it could be helpful in making your life easier once you sort out the main issue.

Sounds like temp is also not your main issue. But again, trying to install when it's nice and warm will be a help compared to trying to install when it's cold. Sort out the main source of the problem and then use this as a tool to make your life easier.

I've had two Softoppers, both I bought used and both fit a little differently. One was VERY old and I had to move that pin down to help it fit better with less stress on the frame from the straps. Both took a little finagling to get into place but once you figure out the tricks you should be able to do it without frustration.

MadDaddy likes this.
  6. Nov 14, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Frame strap makes a lot more sense. You just said frame in your first post so I was confused on how making the frame had anything to do with my issue. Yeah that back one was loose so i could strap down the front one.

Something is definitely up that is beyond cranking it down with the frame straps more. I had to undo all the fabric buttons on the inside of the bed to even get the front to come down enough to attempt anything. It seemed no matter what I did, would create another problem. Its beyond just getting it buttoned up tight. I've done this plenty of times and this is the only time its given me any sort of issue like this. I gave up though. I leave for a vacation tomorrow so will try when I get back again and see what I can figure out. Because to me it really seems like it shrank just enough to not work anymore. Not sure how old my topper is because it came with the truck.

7. Nov 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Not sure how far you are from me but you're more than welcome to swing by and I can take a look at it with you. I've had both of mine off/on multiple times. My original one I used to only install it for trips so it would regularly be removed and then sit for months at a time. I really don't see how removing one time would make a huge difference in how it fits. I'm sure if we tackled it together we could get it on there for ya.

Travlr likes this.
  8. Nov 14, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    Wahayes

Wahayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra (sold) 2015 tacoma trd 1984 c10
    If its cold and you took it down unless you have a heat gun or a hair dryer it's not going back until spring lol cold weather they shrink

MadDaddy likes this.
  9. Nov 14, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I may take you up on this, when I get back from our week trip. Maybe my brain is also in vacation mode already and not figure it out mode.

Not cold. Live in LA and its been in the high 80s.

clenkeit[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Nov 14, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    clenkeit

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'd ignore the cold comments, clearly they aren't looking at your location :rofl: It can definitely make a difference, even here, where it's warm. But, like you said, it's be HOT this past week, I think it was 90deg here on Fri and high 80's all this weekend. So as long as you were trying during the day and allowed the fabric to warm up then this shouldn't be the issue. If you're trying to do it at 7am when it's still 50-60deg then it could definitely be making your life harder but I'd suspect it wouldn't be enough to prevent installation altogether.

Feel free to PM me when you get back if you want to swing by. Have a great trip!

The Wolves[OP] and Wahayes like this.
  11. Dec 27, 2021 at 4:14 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Are you snapping the entire driver's side down and then trying to snap the passenger side down? Your post kind of reads that way. This isn't the way to do it... snap each corner down and then snap the next snap inboard from each corner, then you can snap the entire side down. You gotta sort of balance the tension as you install.

MadDaddy likes this.
  12. Dec 27, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    This has probably been long resolved, but for the others:

On the frame rail, there’s three positions of adjustment. Factory settings is in the center. You may need to raise or lower.

79A3D9FF-3A7A-452E-97E1-0DAE0F19F382.jpg 2EF114E0-8275-4421-B822-F4F0BFE2875F.jpg

13. Dec 27, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I was doing it that way at the time of the post. I did it the way you said just the other day. And it was still not easy by any means to get attached. The last corner was a huge pain in the ass. Had to have my wife pull down on the crossbar to get it in place.

I did notice that. I THINK I’m on the lowest setting but I will double check that because lowering it even a smidge would help it out for sure. Thanks!

14. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    I’ve had to do this on a couple of my Tacoma trucks. Never on my bigger trucks. Weird. I’ve owned 7 Softoppers now.

15. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    I just looked and I can go down one more setting. It’s so weird, I never had any issues with it until I took it down one day in the summer and didn’t try to put it back up for a few months. It had to have shrank a little bit.

MadDaddy and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    It very well could have. Mine generally sits in the garage hanging on the wall until our German Shepard has to go with us.

Mine stays pretty tight, but functional.

3D99F5DC-DAE1-4AE9-962C-CD2828C061D6.jpg

17. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:57 AM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    That’s how mine always was as well. Thanks for pointing out the position adjustment. Appreciate it!

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 27, 2021 at 10:06 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Used to install convertible tops years ago. Big Truck Winter fronts & such too. Convertible top material is the only stuff I’ve ever seen that worked opposite to everything. Tightens up in the Sun but relaxes in the Cold. Stuff was right pricey tho.

davidstacoma likes this.
  19. Dec 31, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    The Wolves

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    just had the chance to lower to the lowest setting. Helped out tremendously. Still a tight fit but much like it was prior to feeling like it shrank. Thanks again!

20. Dec 31, 2021 at 1:43 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Glad it helped. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top