1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SOLVED: another clunk diagnosis thread.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rambrose1, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Aug 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    UBYBC

UBYBC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    I watched the video and mine sounds similar but it's only when I hit or roll over big dips. Good luck figuring it out.

AmateurTaco1313 likes this.
  2. Aug 27, 2016 at 3:14 AM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    What bothers me is that if you notice in the video, no mechanical parts in the frame are jolted when the 'clunk' happens, but the camera is? Usually when a moving part makes the sudden clunk you see it bind up then release. It's almost like whatever the camera is mounted to gets the jolt? Anyone else notice that?

verynearlypure likes this.
  3. Aug 27, 2016 at 3:27 AM
    electra_boogaloo

electra_boogaloo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Long Bed
    same clunk here. passenger front. usually only does it once. mostly when people are watching. i know my cv's have a small tear from dry rot, waiting to replace them. the lot i got it from had a leveling kit put on just before i bought it, so i feel like suspension may be in play. also had this on a subaru with coil overs after a brake job. never figured that one out either. traded it for a taco with the same problem.

4. Aug 31, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    rambrose1

rambrose1 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Base 4x4
    A little update:
    Sorry that i sort of fell off the face of the earth for a bit, the start of school has taken a lot of my time.
    I still haven't found any solution to this. My dad did some of his own research and he thought that maybe it was the U-joints, but I never had any other symptoms of bad U-joints. We did replace them though, and it did nothing to help, which is fine because they've never been replaced with 169k miles on them.

We are next looking for other things that will not require an alignment. I just don't have the money for one right now. However, we think it has something to do with something we replaced -LCAs and Bilsteins- whether it is one of the parts we bought that was bad or if we installed something wrong. I think it is either the Bilsteins, the LCA's, or maybe the coils aren't seated right. As soon as I have the money I'm going to pull off the bilsteins and set them back to stock height and re-seat the coils to see if that makes a difference:fingerscrossed:

And if that doesn't work, then I'll just lose my mind.

I am still worried about one of the alignment tabs being installed upside-down, though I read as long as the alignment is in spec it shouldn't matter. It just doesn't look right.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it before when someone asked, but it still occurs in 2 Wheel Drive, 4x4 high and low.

This clunk, along with a ticking/clicking noise from the aluminum bumper (under the plastic bumper cover) is driving me crazy, especially since i have to park in a parking garage and every noise from my truck is amplified.

If anyone else has a tick/click coming from their front end it is likely the aluminum bumper. I read on ttora, i think, that the tack welds holding the bolts on the bumper break and when the frame flexes it causes the welds to move. I went and got it welded around the edges and it still does it. Old truck, tons of problems :mad:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. Aug 31, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    rambrose1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Base 4x4
    I noticed this as well. We have considered the engine mounts, they look awful and rusted. That's just something we don't have the ability to do, unless someone can point me in the direction to an easy DIY write-up for that.

6. Aug 31, 2016 at 6:06 PM
    rambrose1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Base 4x4
    My clunk is the same way, for the most part. It will do it once (of course when people are around), but after driving for a while or letting it sit, it comes back. I can't make it clunk and then do it again immediately after, which makes diagnosing with a camera a bit difficult.

ChadsPride likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2016 at 1:15 AM
    electra_boogaloo

electra_boogaloo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Long Bed
    i find that back out of the driveway will do it. i have to go down a short sharp hill and turn sharp. and then when i leave work, turning sharp going forward. one pop and done. has to have been sitting for a while or at a sharp twist angle.

8. Sep 7, 2016 at 5:24 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue. i was just about to post a thread when i saw this one. mine just started doing this last week, seems to be similar to everyone elses. the sound is exactly the same as in the video and it happens when there is a significant shift in the vehicle's weight it seems like. doesnt do it every time, but like other people said when i'm turning sharply, backing out of my driveway, braking hard, all things that create a quick shift in the vehicle's weight. Also sounds like its coming from the front passenger side.

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Sep 7, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    rambrose1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Base 4x4
    Interesting that there are so many people with this problem. I should have the money for alignment in a week or 2 so I will hopefully be able to share a solution to this.

Danteisme is yours stock or do you have bilsteins as well?

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Sep 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    stock trd sport.

11. Sep 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM
    vrod671

vrod671 The Okayest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    Stock
    I had random clanks/clunks exactly as you described for almost a year before I found out what it was. It only started after lift install (OME 885's/shocks, TC UCA's, Deaver AAL). I thought it was my sway bar, so I removed that, and still had the noise. I also bought new strut mounts, LCA bushings, and went over all suspension components 100 times, wasn't cam bolts, transmission mounts were good, body mounts were fine, and it turned out to be the fucking DIFF DROP!! :annoyed: Pulled that bitch out, and WHAM!! NO MORE CLUNKS!

I sleep in peace now.

Hope this helps and good luck!

12. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    dawgn86

dawgn86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Are you braking when this noise occurs? Mine makes very similar noise. Low speed braking. It's right behind front right tire

13. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i fixed mine tonight. i checked the lower cam bolts, one was at least 100 ft lbs, the other i had to crank about 4 or 5 cranks before the torq wrench clicked. not sure how one got loose. however, the frame was replaced on this truck and then it was traded in at a dealer a week later and it basically sat there. maybe it was missed during the frame replacement? either way, no more nosie.

PStan and ChadsPride like this.
  14. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:15 PM
    rambrose1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Base 4x4
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do you do this without changing the alignment?

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i'm sure the alignment was already out of wack if it was that loose. i'll get it re-aligned when i get new tires.

ChadsPride likes this.
  16. Sep 13, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    rambrose1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Base 4x4
    So I finally listened to those of you on here that said to tighten the lower control arm bolts and the clunk is gone! The problem side had one bolt that was barely at 20 ft lbs and the other on the passenger and drivers side were about 40 ft lbs. I got them nice and tight. I think when I went in for my alignment at Mr. Tire *face palm*, months and months ago, they didn't tighten them properly. Then when I went in for new leaf springs the tech that did my alignment didn't bother to check the lca's because at the time all I did was change the tie rods. Very frustrating that it took so long to figure out and took me so long to get under there and tighten them. I almost like my truck again...My Flowmaster just rusted off.:mad: One thing after another.

Thanks for the help!

17. Sep 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    dawgn86

dawgn86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Could someone post a picture of the lca bolts? What size are they and what torque lbs should they be at

18. Sep 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    PStan likes this.
  19. Sep 19, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    well, mine is clunking again. i'll have to crawl back under there this week sometime...

20. Sep 19, 2016 at 7:06 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    when I go over negative speedbumps (dips) at ~10mph my pass side front clunks and sounds like a loose
    bolt somewhere. zero problems anywhere else...drives fine, tires wear fine, highway and dirt roads fine...

I do also hear the steering stops grind when doing a maximum turn in parking lots,
    the clunk in speed dips ain't that...

Products Discussed in

To Top