1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[SOLVED?] - Perished Gas Mileage

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Scoobarooo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Aug 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    Scoobarooo

Scoobarooo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 DCSB TRD OR
    3" OME/Bilstein, Retrofits, Custom Bed rack/Toolbox, Amsoil Everything, tons of others.
    The past few months my gas mileage has been perishing into the unknown. Keep in mind I own a 2002 DCSB with a 2.7 under the hood and I was getting 18MPG. Lately it's been making its way to 14 MPG. I've been asking for months on here and no working solution yet.

That is until I gave up and finally decided to take my taco to my trustee mechanic of whom does all the work for my dads dealership. So he took a look through it and found that the solenoid for the EGR as well as the modulator itself is bad. Those parts will be in tomorrow morning and I'll have her back soon enough.

On a side note I did also have a knocking come from under my truck. Ended up being a drive shaft carrier bearing that had gone bad. It was creating a loud knock that went with the speed of the truck. I was thinking s ball joint. That'll be replaced as well and she should be good as new. Only other thing I think I need to look into is getting the rear diff fluid flushed and filled.

I'll update the thread after I drive a full tank to see whether or not my gas mileage goes back to normal or possibly even better?

-Casey

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. Aug 27, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    hope that solves it for you but its way too early to call it "solved" until the parts are in and you mpg is where it should be again.

just because he found and fixed "A" problem, doesn't mean that was the cause of the bad mpg.

often its a combination of things like bad alignment or tires and a bad carrier bearing can have an effect too

3. Aug 27, 2015 at 7:09 PM
    Scoobarooo

Scoobarooo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 DCSB TRD OR
    3" OME/Bilstein, Retrofits, Custom Bed rack/Toolbox, Amsoil Everything, tons of others.
    That's why I put the question mark

Products Discussed in

To Top