1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Solved: Smart Key/Remote Keyless Entry intermittent issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by LA_Stu, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Nov 24, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    LA_Stu

LA_Stu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Wondering if anyone has come across this before or has any advice... I have a brand new 2019 with the smart key/remote keyless entry. Up until a couple of days ago the remote and keyless entry worked flawlessly, but the last couple of days it works intermittently. For example, when I want to start the engine it sometimes says the key isn't detected. When I touch the door handle to lock, it often doesn't detect it. And sometimes when I push the lock or unlock button on the remote, the truck doesn't respond.

My first thought was to replace the battery in the remote, but that didn't help. Next I tried the second remote, but I have exactly the same issue. I'm wondering if something I did could have possibly caused this. I've installed a pop and lock, but that was over a week ago and it worked after that.

Most recently I put on a Diamond Back bed cover, changed the interior lights to LEDs, and changed the fog lights to LEDs. From what I remember it was working before those changes, but not after. I don't see how any of these could have caused this issue, though. Any ideas?

2. Dec 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    LA_Stu

LA_Stu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Problem solved! Posting in case anyone else comes up against it. It turned out to be the new LED interior dome light. After removing that everything works again. I bought the LED kit from Headlight Revolution and spoke to them about it. They suspect the dome light was emitting a frequency that interferes with the truck's locking/unlocking system, and are sending me a couple of replacement LEDs to try instead. They say they've come across this a couple of times in the past on other vehicles.

tcjacado likes this.
  3. Dec 3, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    The computers on this truck are voltage sensitive. Using diodes has helped a lot of issues with the turn as tail light mod. There have been many electrical gremlins in these trucks with people that have changed bulbs and or tapped into truck wiring.

Products Discussed in

To Top