1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some specific lift/wheel and tire questions from a new 3rd gen Taco owner

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TucoTaco, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    TucoTaco

TucoTaco [OP] When you have to shoot, shoot... Don't talk...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Scipio, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '16 Silver Sky Tacoma DCSB Sport (SOLD)
    Bilstein 5100s front/rear, OME 885, Deaver AAL, 265/70 Wildpeak AT3W, T4R Trail wheels powdercoated.
    Hey guys, I apologize in advance if the questions I am about to ask have already been answered a million times but I've searched and searched and can't seem to get a clear enough answer...

My first question is, I'm looking at possibly getting Bilstein 5100's front and rear, with the front set to the 3rd (1.1") or 4th (1.55") notch, using the factory springs in the front, and the Headstrong 3 leaf progressive AAL in the rear and keep my Overload springs (2" of lift in the rear)... (I carry a fair amount of weight here and there and don't really want my LED headlights pointing to the sky anymore) but I was wondering how odd the truck would look with LT265/65/17 E-load BFG KO2 All Terrains on the stock 17" sport wheels? (This wheel and tire combo is my current setup and once I get another wheel/Tire setup, these will be turned into my Winter/backup set) I won't be able to get my other set of wheels/tires for a while and would have to run on the 265/65/17's till then and just would like to know if it'll look majorly like it skips leg day or if it would be ok looking till then...

My next question is if I get this lift, I wouldn't need a diff drop or anything like that, since I probably won't be taking this truck off-road, other than getting pictures on dirt roads and such (Poser shots)? Will mostly be a pavement princess until I pay it off and don't have a warranty anymore... And I know that I could save money and just get a spacer lift but I want to do things the "right" way.

Another question I have is about my actual wheel/tire setup... From what I gather from all of the thread mining that I have done, a 17x8.5 wheel with a 0 offset and a backspacing of 4.71 should clear the upper control arms right?... and if I mount it on a LT265/70/17 E-Load Falken Wildpeak AT3W (31.9"x10.7"), I still should be fine, with the lift? (I know every truck is different but the general consensus is no rubbing and no cutting required for a setup like this, right?)

If I chose not to get the lift first and got the wheels/tires first, do you guys feel with that size/offset/backspacing, that I'd be able to run on the stock sport suspension without having to cut the truck up? I've read that a lot of 3rd gen Tacoma owners do run this size on their stock suspension but that is usually with TRD wheels... just wondering because if most answers point to yes then I might not do the lift right away and just run with slightly larger tires, saving myself some money.

And finally... would there be a huge and noticeable difference in ride quality and handling between Bilstein 5100's with the stock springs, set to the 3rd/4th notch, and Fox 2.0's that come complete with their own coil springs, set to 1" of lift? (would it be worth saving and getting the Fox's later while just running on the new wheel/tire setup stock till I can get the Fox's, if the setup I'm looking at would work on stock suspension?) The only reason I ask is because on Headstrong's website, they have a complete lift, FOX stage 1 kit that I can get the 3 leaf progressive AAL included for about double what the Bilstein 5100's using stock springs and the 3 AAL is... Just curious, because I am on a fairly tight budget, thanks to monthly payments, being a college student, etc... but want to make the truck the best it can be on a fairly restricted budget... And not kill the value of it like I seem to do with every other vehicle that I modify... lol

I'm really sorry for the long post but these are just some specific to me things that I've not been able to find and would like to learn about...

Thanks.

2. Feb 13, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    Friedtacolover

Friedtacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Off Road 4x4
    my build tread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/socal-no-shame-poser-build.513084/
    You dont need a diff drop. Why not go bilsteins and ome springs for just a tad more. If your thinking budget but decent.you can get them with springs already mounted through headstrong offroad with taco lean spacer mounted too. Fox would be better but nessesary-no. Either way Since you are adding 2” to rear you should upgrade springs to so you get the truck level rather than cranking the billies up.

On tires- 265-ko’2’s still look ok on a 2” lift you will be fine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top