1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some Strange Noises

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacoSan2.0, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jul 11, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    TacoSan2.0

TacoSan2.0 [OP] I like handbrakes

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport
    Lights and Stickers
    I recently made a thread regarding an issue with my truck and got some terrific feedback so now, I'm going to open the flood gates!

There is two distinct noise that my truck makes that makes me unhappy. The truck is a 2016 TRD sport that is 98% stock with 30K miles so conveniently out of factory warranty. Only mods are slightly larger tires (265/70/17) and an exhaust.

Noise One:
    Whenever I switch between gears (reverse and drive) I get a clunk/clank coming from the front of the truck. I originally thought it was the drivetrain but it only happens when I apply the brakes. An example would be I reverse out of something and go into drive, then I press the brakes at a light or stop sign and hear the noise. Another example is when I parallel park I hear the noise every time I press the brake after changing between gears. I've checked the rotors, pads, the entire brake assembly and everything seems to look fine and not worn. The noise has been around for a while, only happening sometimes in the beginning but now it's constant and louder than ever. Anyone have this issue before?

Noise Two:
    So after initially driving my truck and I hit a bump in the road, speed bump, or a driveway I hear a quite loud clunk coming from the front left of the truck. It happens most times the suspension is compressed but does not happen all the time. An example would be me driving down a road with speed bumps, the noise will happen on the first 2 or 3 bumps and then it's gone. Like my brake noise issue, it has gotten progressively worse as the miles climb. I've gone under the truck and looked at all the suspension points checking for anything being loose or not torqued down. Is there something I should check that I haven't yet or has this been an issue for anyone else.

I do have an extended warranty but I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer as my local one is shit and the service department has no understanding of proper customer service. They try to charge me a $100 "look at it fee" the few times I've tried to get stuff checked out.

Any and all help is appreciated. Super stoked on the community on this forum and the knowledge y'all bring.

2. Jul 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    TRD S/C, UCON, 61# inj, 2.5 pulley, 7th inj, Roostfactor Y Pipe, URD exhaust, WAT Nomad Valve body, Dana 60, DK LT, JD FAB LCA mounts, custom roof rack...and way too many others.
    Lower control arm bushings?

Mine went out pretty early on too, although I wheeled pretty hard. If you are outside the vehicle and you repeat the tests you listed above, I could physically see my LCA moving all around.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. Jul 11, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    Ronzio

Ronzio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRDOR
    Cab mount bushing most likely the front noise and cycle the parking brake up and down couple times while holding in the button in park of course the noise maybe the rear shoes out of adjustment.

4. Jul 11, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    TacoSan2.0

TacoSan2.0 [OP] I like handbrakes

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport
    Lights and Stickers
    Is there a visible sign that the cab mount has failed that I can try to look for?

I'm 90% sure the brake noise is coming from the front and not the rear

5. Jul 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Ronzio

Ronzio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRDOR
    The cab mount bolt is located here at the base of the foot rest...you can see the rest of it by peeling back the plastic wheel well behind the front tire. Stick a flat bar next to the bushing see if there is any play or compare it to passenger side should look the same.
    52220923-F476-4C97-922B-54EE6B9AC591.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top