1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sos armor issues

Discussion in 'Armor' started by m603holden, Oct 13, 2020.

?

Issues with SOS parts

1. Yes

2. Also yes.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    m603holden

m603holden [OP] @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    That's a very politically correct answer for a company who has had multiple pictures of defective plates sent to them, which was again followed by radio silence.

It's not a chance to grow. It was just a complete fail.

But like I said, this thread isn't a thread for debate or for testimonies, just looking to see who else here had issue. Just the same as I have on the other forums and groups. The emails and pms have been pretty consistent. Basically if you want SOS products, be ready to have to modify them because they're not going to fit from the shop.

2. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    JustJon

JustJon Well-Known Member

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB OR
  3. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    KILLINTIME

KILLINTIME Like a Villain

Member:
    When installing my bolt on sliders ..... Had to take both sides BACK off to modify them with a grinder to fit correctly. Had to cut out some pretty big holes actually. Not a big deal for me, but to some people it would have made the difference of installing. Their response was “ oh some Frames are different, yours must have been one of those different frames”. Uh, ooook:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:52 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Pretty standard response that I'm hearing from other people as well.

That there's variation from truck to truck and the tolerances are all over the place. I might have been more likely to believe them if I wasn't coming from an rci plate that bolts right up fine. :notsure:

5. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    KILLINTIME

Member:
    That was this year, too.

m603holden[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    KILLINTIME

Member:
    Well, if the variables were so different, other companies would be getting this many complaints. I kept it to myself Untill
    Now, bc I got a killer deal for bolt ons, such a good deal that i didn’t want to fab my own. But since I came across this thread.... I’ll share my experience.

crashngiggles likes this.
  7. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    KILLINTIME

Member:
    Otherwise they were decent. The guys at the shop were very nice. They wouldn’t let me
    Load them up. They insisted on loading them
    For me.

SR-71A and m603holden[OP] like this.
  8. Oct 22, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Same. I got a promotion price for plates I can't use. Haha.

KILLINTIME[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 22, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    I'll publicly come out and be that guy that most of you conversed with your issues on here. You see there is no more affiliation with myself or SOS. I know that some of the bashing is pointed at me and kinda my reputation a little. I know all of the issues and passed along your complaints and pictures you sent after that well............. I wish things would of been done right by ya'll and completely understand your frustrations and by no means was I ever trying to dismiss the issues or treat it as though they weren't important as they were to you all. I'm going to stay neutral here for the simple fact my parting ways I didn't make too big of a deal about it and kinda just wanted to let it pass. Whatever I say still won't right the wrongs or the issues but I hope that ya'll will get some resolve from the situations. Like was said also in here it says something that there are people who use to support that no longer do and others that are switching companies from them....................

10. Oct 23, 2020 at 3:54 AM
    BamaTaco56

BamaTaco56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Your a real guy Skip. +1 for you

I have found it’s much easier to just build the crap myself.

Acerwin, Thatbassguy, SR-71A and 2 others like this.
  11. Oct 23, 2020 at 4:04 AM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    Well of course I am real last I checked I don't think I've been turned into some cyborg or anything.

If I had the space and a couple of tools I would be. But I found someone that I think will be able to accomplish what I would like and seems like the quality and focus is there.

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  12. Oct 23, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Good perspective. That is essentially why I went SOS for my skids, word of mouth from a lot of guys in this area. Ran into the same issue with my front skid. Unfortunately I needed a skid plate when I needed a skid plate (and I was kinda pissed off) so I opted for the cutting torch route. Which means Im no longer eligible for a replacement according to the below. But nbd, I think when I get some time over the next couple of months Im going to take it back off, cut the seams, reform the bend, and weld it all back up to fit properly.

I am curious as to why they suddenly got the boot from here. But that doesnt really matter at the end of the day..

13. Oct 23, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    BamaTaco56

BamaTaco56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Hm. I have never thought about you actually being a cyborg, that could explain some things.....

14. Oct 23, 2020 at 5:47 AM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    :rofl:well I am still alive and am missing part of my heart, have metal, screws, and pins holding parts together sooooooo............there is always that possibility

15. Oct 23, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    I bought skids and a streamline front bumper for a 5th gen 4runner early this year.

The bumper fit like a glove. The only issue I'm having is that the brackets for the light bar are just a tad too close together for my Rigid SR series light bar. I was able to make it fit with a little coaxing.

The skids fit well, but the bolt slots for attaching to the cross member were too narrow, and the bolts provided were thicker than OEM, making it difficult to slide them through.

Overall, I have been satisfied with them. But, I think they could have done a little better in some areas.

uploadadventure likes this.
  16. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:05 AM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    I look at it like this Skip.....you have 32000 posts on TW. Even if you were to say that 5000 of them were working with or dealing with any SOS related activity, that would put you at 27000 valued posts into the TW community. People change jobs and affiliations all the time. It is not the basis of who you are as a person. Internet forums can be a wealth of valuable information and also a place for trolls to voice their inner anger. People generally know the difference and know how to weed out the facts from the fear mongering B.S.

When it comes down any business, internet or storefront, success comes when 3 things are followed through with: communication/customer service, value for money, and quality of product. That should be managed from the top down and if there is a fundamental problem at the top or anywhere in between, problems will arise. Like I said before, I am proud to have SOS armor on my vehicle due to having pieces on my truck that were made, bought, and installed when all of those three things took place. It is very sad in a way because if these things were followed through with, from the top down, I believe that this thread would not exist and people would be singing the praises of SOS like in the past. I guess it is more sad than anything else what this situation has turned into. I consider Marteen ( @m603holden ) and Zack (@SR-71A ) friends who I wish could have received the same build quality and customer experience that I had. I am more or less just disappointed that this entire situation has even happened.

wi_taco, MikefromCT, SR-71A and 4 others like this.
  17. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    That's a 100% accurate assessment. Except that probably only 500 of my posts are actually valued the rest is just jibberish :rofl:

18. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Same haha

crashngiggles likes this.
  19. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Right. If I knew I'd just have waited till winter and bought the steel, used someone else's skid to make a buck, and just taken care of it myself.

Just after welding all day at work the last thing I want to do is come home and weld. But I guess it's time to reassemble the shop at the new house.

ovrlndkull[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    Sasquatch3153

Sasquatch3153 Sassy Squatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACLB OR
    What it sounds like to me is that SOS is taking shortcuts in order to get orders out like not checking their parts. For example, check the angles on their bends, the quality of steel is always different for example I'll form a part and the bend is perfect and the next time i run that same part it might be off by 2-5 degrees because the steel could either be a little thinner or a little thicker,or making adjustments to their press break programs because sometimes they'll just be off for no reason. I work in manufacturing and we have a first, middle, last quality check on parts to make sure that the angles are good if it's being formed or to make sure that holes are still getting punched/cut out. I'm just guessing that that's what's going on, or one of their machines might be down who knows. When I was waiting for my mobown gas tank skid plate it took a couple of months because the laser table took a crap at the company Joe used to outsource his skid plates to

Products Discussed in

To Top