1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Coming from Passenger Side

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spaghettiedy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    Update on mine! Had it in the dealer yesterday and the noise is gone along with the dash rattle. The said that one of the wiring harness' behind the glove box was not where it should be and thats what the noise was....so simple but so annoying! Even the techs all said that was a new one on them too!

2. Dec 2, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    thanks for the updates guys. I will take a look and see what i can fix before looking crazy in front of the dealer. It is cold/snowy here and mine buzzes, so the cold weather should have no bearing on it. Im tempted to take a can of great stuff to the damn truck.

3. Dec 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    I didnt get to see which actual piece it was but said that the bundle of wires and harness was vibrating enough to make that noise and then on a big bump, cattle guards and wash boarded roads it would make a horrible rattling noise.....so good luck. I would assume that if you drop the glove box down you should be able to locate it. They didnt have to pull anything else loose on mine to make the repair.

4. Dec 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    I did cable tie everything behind the glove box so this does make sense to me.

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    well i went ahead and cable tied as much as i could see that might rub against each other. pics below with the phone

wire-tied together

glovebox shock

shock installed

new roof rack installed

I also noticed the gray harness clip had one of the clips not in the hole- you can see it on the first picture near the upper left of the picture. I spread the plastic out since it wouldn't hold. I also noticed this thing on the side of my glove box. After some thought realized it was the shock. It was never installed properly. I re-installed it as well and now my glovebox opens slowly.

It's a blizzard outside so I can't test it out yet. I'll be listening on my way to work tomorrow though. Also installed my roof-rack that came in yesterday. Was pretty simple to install, little time consuming though.

6. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold

Yet another update....the fix lasted 3 days and its back as soon as I hit a rough road. So I am going to probably end up fixing it myself so it only has to be done one more time.

7. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    check the gray plastic that the wiring harness is plugged into. See if the top prong is in the hole because mine was out.

8. Dec 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    update: just went for a drive, didn't hear anything! lot of snow on the ground though. will tell better tomorrow probably. <crossing fingers>

9. Dec 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I had the same problem in my '09 from day 1. Took it to the dealer three times with no fix (or even any clue) so I decided to find it myself.

I cable tied everything I could find just like ph16 did in #1. I also used a sh!t load of foam tape (the dealership tech gave me some he had left) on a piece of the upper glove box. If you take the glove box completely out (the rattle still happened when it was out), there is a black piece of plastic around where the glove box latches. It has a single bolt behind the latch. I took this piece out and put foam tape everywhere this thing came in contact with the plastic behind it and the rattle went away. That was before it started getting cold and it's never come back.

But, mine was the same situation. 1K-1700K RPMs, light acceleration, although speed didn't matter. It happened all the time on the freeway too.

Hope this helps someone out... :)

10. Dec 10, 2008 at 2:56 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    I'm fairly convinced that the rattle/buzz is tied to the glovebox and/or behind it because that area was the last place I cable tied/foamed and I haven't heard it for more than a month now (knock on wood).

One last thing I remember about the glovebox shock. On the top mount, mine seemed to easily come off of the plastic post that has the split in it so once I had the shock attached at the top, I trimmed a small piece of wood (like as thick as a popsicle stick) to maintain the gap in the split pivot and retain the shock better. I don't know if this has anything to do with the rattle/buzz but it sure keeps the shock attached better at the top.

TDM . . . sorry to hear that the noise is back.

Has anyone else cable tied everything and not heard the noise since?

11. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    no noise all day today. i had a passenger though.

12. Dec 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

Really..? I usually have more noise when I have a passenger. :p

13. Dec 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Well, now I got it too. Maybe I've had it... last night I read this post and thought "wow, I'm glad mine doesn't have any noises yet" and sure enough while driving today I noticed "the noise" eminating from somewhere on the passenger side. #$%&! now it's all I hear. I'm just going to leave it for now. I plan on doing the gray wire mod soon and I'll just start insulating everything in there while I'm in there.

Next time I see a thread that starts "does your truck do this..." I'm going to skip it!

14. Dec 10, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    Bean&Cheese

Bean&Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    FIF = Forum Induced Failure. Don't be ashamed it happens to everyone....:smash:

15. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    Farmer Dave

Farmer Dave New Member

Member:
    Milton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I've had noise from the rear tires of my 09 access cab. I was able to hear every pebble along with bad highway tire noise. I sprayed 6 cans of rubberised insulating undercoating under the cab and around the fenderwells. This has helped, the volume has been turned down a notch.

16. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    still no noise for me. whatever i did appears to have worked!

17. Jan 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    My buddy had this same type of problem and found that the strut on the glove box came off. (Its the little round tubular piece of plastic tucked up on the right side)

18. Jan 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Alaskaflyer

Alaskaflyer My other ride Hovers

Member:
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner DC TRD Off Road
    OME 885 AAL, 2.5* shim, Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT KO 285/75/16, Spidertrax spacers, OME Shocks up front, Bilstein 5100 Shocks in back.
    I have the same issue, I thought I was crazy, couldn't figure out where this noise was coming from. At least I have a few places to start looking. Thanks for all the posts!

Gary

19. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Off Road Pkg
    Likewise! Same issue. Jeez, with this many posts, and from many areas in the country, one would have to say that it's a manufacturing/assembly flaw that Toyota will no doubt address eventually. Meanwhile, the rest of us are just 'beta testers' (I'm in the computer/tech support biz) and have to apply fixes as we see fit I guess. Thanks to all the detailed posters out there!

For the record, my 'buzz' comes and goes, but it's the exact same conditions/symptoms/speed/rpm's etc as those who have oh so accurately described this annoyance. I have taken apart the little panel by a passengers right foot, taped/insulated that to some extent, but in the end that didn't 'fix' it. I still have a 'little bit' of the buzzing (it's less than it was, but still there for sure). I honestly think it's coming from right underneath the glove box (have ruled out the aforementioned panel). So many wires/harnesses, huh?! Ah, today's cars... good luck everyone. I guess worse things could be inflicted upon us by our beloved tacos.

20. Jan 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    davatk

davatk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    Tube Steps, Hood Deflector, ScanGauage, GPS
    Ok, so I read the Forum and now I have the noise too. Noticed it when I turned my radio all the way down, and heater off. Just a very slight buzz from the glovebox area. Amazing. Forum induced failure # 2. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top