1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Coming from Passenger Side

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spaghettiedy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    bluecluee

bluecluee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD OR Timberland Mica
    5100's Set at 1.75
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one with this annoying problem. I didn't post about it here because I thought everyone would think I was nuts. Anyway, one day I was so fed up with the "buzz" on the passenger side that I had a buddy of mine drive my truck around so I could try and pinpoint it. Mine turned out to be this black plastic protector rattling on one of the wiring harness directly under the glove box. I found that if I wrapped my hand around this plastic protector the noise went away. I took some zip ties and tightened them all down the plastic protector and the noise has gone away. I hope this helps someone, I was going nuts there for a while in my brand new 2009!

2. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:42 AM
    davatk

davatk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    Tube Steps, Hood Deflector, ScanGauage, GPS
    Thanks for the feedback on this, mine is doing it really bad now, never noticed it before reading this forum thread:rolleyes:, seems worse before the truck gets warmed up on the inside - then kinda goes away. If I can get someone to drive me around, maybe I can isolate it like you did.

3. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Off Road Pkg
    I'm pretty sure I've pinpointed the source (at least in mine) of "the 1500rpm buzz."

It's the 'sheath' that is wrapped around a fairly large bundle of wires directly underneath the glovebox. The sheath is made out of either plastic or something similar and is black. It holds a bundle of wires that is perhaps half a foot long and 1.5 or so (maybe 2 at parts) inches wide.

I know this is the source because if/when the buzz occurs, and I pull over and wrap my hand around the sheath/bundle and pull on it either left or right or whatever, then drive again, I cannot reproduce the buzz at all. This only lasts a day or so, until the 'bundle' has shifted enough such that my temporary stretching does not suffice and the buzz/vibration returns.

So, having isolated it (I'm certain!) I'm going to very carefully cut off the 'factory sheath' (being oh so careful not to cut any wiring!) and use duct and/or electrical tape to wrap up the wires and see if my own handiwork solves this annoyance once and for all. The 'sheath' is quite obviously a design flaw that, while keeping all those wires nice and tight under there, creates the low rpm buzz.

Will follow up after I make my changes, likely Saturday morning.

4. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Actually, after reading the last few posts including bluecluee's, I'm not going to cut away the black plastic sheath just yet ---- will be far easier (not to mention less risky) to first cable tie the heck out of it and really 'put the squeeze' on it! Can see how that makes sense to eliminate vibration within, given that sucker is definitely the source as I confirmed above.

Bluecluee, how many cable ties did you use (i.e., how far apart did you space them as you worked your way along the sheath)?

5. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    bluecluee

bluecluee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD OR Timberland Mica
    5100's Set at 1.75
    I used really thick zip ties no more then 1/4 inch apart to wrap around that black sheath. Be sure to get all the way up the entire sheath, even to the areas that are not visible with your eye. Good luck! Let us know if this works for you :)

6. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, will do!

7. Jan 14, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    jaws revenge

jaws revenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeah, i've got that irrating buzz on my 09 too. as said above, it is the wires behind the glove box which i'm tweaking how they are tied and wrapped.

8. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    ElevenTenths

ElevenTenths Voice of Reason

Member:
    Are all the affected trucks the same body style/trim level/production plant?

9. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    No, I don't think so, based on the locations of many of the folks posting in this forum (and their respective trims).

10. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    ElevenTenths

Member:
    I haven't checked all the posts... but if they are double cabs odds are they all came from Baja Mexico.

11. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Had the same problem here. I went under the hood and there's a flimsy bracket holding the group of wires just before they enter the cabin under the glove box. I bent that bracket by hand to put some tension on the wire grouping. Seemed to work! It's been a month without the sound.

Double cab California made here.

12. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Mine was made in California.

13. Jan 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    ElevenTenths

Member:
    there goes my theory... i figured since the baja ones are largely made by hand it would allow for enough variance to account for the harness buzzing on some trucks.

14. Jan 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    kjb

kjb New Member

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DC 2009
    Sport Pkg
    Just wanted to chime in with this buzzing noise. Just bought my 2009 Tacoma December 30th. Up until this week, I have been dealing with the buzzing noise as described at low rpms. Totally driving me crazy. Especially since it only has a couple of hundred miles on it. Took the truck to the dealer to have the bed extender and matt installed and also told them about the noise. Of course, they could not duplicate it and did nothing. I took my 13 year old son out with me and had him listen for the buzzing. I took the glove box out so he could get his ears down there. Well after about 10 minutes of driving around he appeared to locate it. He had his finger not on the wiring harness but on the wires going into one of the connectors. The wire was buzzing in the connector. I applied some foam to the connector making sure there was plenty of pressure on it. Have not heard the noise since.

15. Jan 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I just put one tie wrap in the middle of them...and a few in other spots. Refer to this post for pictures

still hasnt come back...and ive done some bottoming out offroading too.

16. Jan 15, 2009 at 2:27 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    KJB and RoyB, that's exactly what I did and I haven't heard it since Nov 08. I cable tied the connector wires as well as the bundle beneath the box. It's one of them or both but it doesn't matter to me as it has dissappeared and was a mf'er to find by myself. See post #40

17. Jan 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Well, it's FIXED. I used 8 or 9 cable ties and pulled them nice and snug/tight all along the length of that black sheath underneath the glove box and that killed the buzz. Now that's one 'buzz kill' I can say I'm happy about!

No need to take apart the glove box or any panels or anything... with mine, the buzz source was definitely that sheath-covered bundle of cables. Securing the bundle much more tightly than the sheath itself could has put the GAG ORDER on that buzz for good!

derrickfindley likes this.
  18. Jan 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Glad it worked out for you! I know it bugged the hell out of me... :)

19. Jan 26, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    FastFalcon

FastFalcon Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 Sport
    I noticed this exact noise after 1 week with the truck. It's driving me nuts!!! I have the glovebox out right now so whenever someone is riding with me they can put pressure on some wires. No luck finding it yet. Wish me luck!

Just to add to the pile, mine is at 1500-2000 rpm, only when on the accelerator. It sounds like a beetle trying to fly in a mason jar. A really small beetle.

20. Jan 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    One approach (which I took) was less about finding the exact source and more about zip tieing everything I could find that even "appeared" loose...

Products Discussed in

To Top