1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Coming from Passenger Side

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spaghettiedy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Mar 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    i had the buzz also, and with my wife holding the engine at 1500 rpm and me under the dash i found the same bundle of wires and when i grabbed them the buzz stopped. after reading this thread i went outside and carefully moved the bundle from side to side with the engine off and there is definitly a faint click. my guess is when these wires vibrate they actually resonate at the same frequency as the vibration of the motor at that rpm. so i tied about 4 wire ties around them, and then added a 5th to pul the entire harness tightly against a bracket they run along near the kick panel. now they dont move at all and no click can be heard, i have not driven the truck but i am 99% confident i stopped the buzzing.
    the wires in question run right between the blower motor and some ecu bracket. the bundle is about 1.5 inches thick. appears to be the main engine harness. ill update next time i do any driving, truck stays parked in the garage about 90% of the time so it may be a few days or a week

2. Mar 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    ok i have driven the truck a bit since i posted, the noise is totally GONE! so guys, you dont need to take it to the dealer, you dont need to take the dash apart, just grab yourself about 4 large wire ties and tie up the fat black bundle of wires in 3 places and take the 4th and tie the bundle to the bracket on the right side of the bundle so it wont move.

3. Feb 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    Slip

Slip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD OR Premium, Blue Crush
    KC fogs, Tint, Extreme LED light bar, VTX Rouges in Gun Metal.
    New to this forum and have to say, been getting excellent info. Just bought used 07 Dbl Cab TRD OR and noticed low pitched buzz and have been zipping through the forums ever since. Tried everything listed and found an answer. My buzz was the intake that goes from the passenger fender to the air filter. I went and bought some rubber washers and dismantled the intake and installed them. That worked for me, so no more buzzing. Easy fix, just 2 bolts to take out on passenger side. Thought I'd pass it along to the many solutions you guys have posted. Thanks for all the efforts listed!

4. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:29 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Just figured I would give this a Bump and let everyone know, that I finally found my "buzz"! I'm so happy too, I finally drove into work this morning buzz free! Anyway, on my 2010, it was the actual strut itself on the glove box. The strut was not loose or disconnected the strut would just vibrate at the golden 1500 rpm mark. After searching on here and zip tying and taping everything people have recommended and then some. I finally decided to take that strut out and drive without it, and BINGO! Buzz free! Thank god! That really drove me crazy! So just and Fyi if you have tried everything else, try taking that out. I'm not sure if I will get a replacement, or try to mess with this one to sure it up enough so it doesn't buzz, but I would be fine without it as long as its quiet!

5. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    j0sh

j0sh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4
    AFE Filter, TRD Catback
    so glad I found this thread. I have tried so many things and I will go try zip tie the bundle of wires. I hope it fixes it. I have been to the point where I could have taken a hammer to my door/dash. :D

6. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    bachm

bachm Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    XTang Hard tonneau cover
    I have the same buzzing vibration. I believe it has to do with the black wiper tray as noted previously. It will not happen if snow is on the tray to absorb the vibration. But what can you do to modify the wiper tray? can you remove it and glue foam to the bottom?

7. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    bachm

bachm Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    XTang Hard tonneau cover
    I have the same problem and posted it some time ago. I tried pushing foam up under dash with no success. I will try the rubber strip suggestion. My wiper tray vibration is noticed when I need to downshift. Sometimes a big bump will cause a noise there too. It doesn't happen when snow is on the tray though. It must dampen the vibration.

8. Apr 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    DarrylZ

DarrylZ Active Member

Member:
    Howell NJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Cap
    Add me to the list of people with the passenger side buzz, on my 2010 DC. However...thanks to this great thread, I now have direction to take. It's been driving me CRAZY! I was convinced it was coming from the speaker, but after reading this entire thread, I'm going to tackle those wire suspects as soon as I get a chance! Thanks to everyone here for their contributions...I figured a search here was the place to start, and I was right!

Products Discussed in

To Top