1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound insulation a must.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ShockDoc, May 7, 2008.

1. May 7, 2008 at 10:39 PM
    ShockDoc

ShockDoc [OP] Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Red
    Westin bull bar, KC lights, bed lights mod, tube steps, ipod interface, Infinity Reference peakers, Edead sound insulation from Elemental Designs, Bestop soft top
    I just finished installing new speakers and sound insulation. I went with the edead from Elemental Designs and Infinity Reference speakers in front and back. I am very impressed with the sound deadening. If you are considering doing this cheap mod, let me tell you...DO IT!

I bought 60ft2 of edead v1 and that was plenty for 4 doors in a double cab. In fact I have about 1/3 of it left. I put a single layer on the inside of the outer shell and another layer on the inner shell. I'm so impressed with the results I'm considering doing the floors. The speakers are great too, but the real difference was with the sound insulation. I wasn't looking for a high power sound system, but rather a modest improvement. I figured while I had the door panels off I might as well add some sound insulation. I was extremely pleased with the results. So again...do it.

As far as edead vs fatmat vs dynamat? Who cares? edead is on the cheaper side if things and I have no regrets. Just put something up there. I'm glad to answer any questions.

2. May 8, 2008 at 3:13 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Did you just use the Edead or did you also add foam sheet?

3. May 8, 2008 at 4:24 AM
    ShockDoc

ShockDoc [OP] Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Red
    Westin bull bar, KC lights, bed lights mod, tube steps, ipod interface, Infinity Reference peakers, Edead sound insulation from Elemental Designs, Bestop soft top
    All I used was the edead. After doing the whole thing I think foam sheet might not be a bad idea. The edead material can be very sticky. A layer of foam would make for a cleaner install. However, with the door panels on I don't think it makes much of a difference. In my opinion, I would probably spend the extra money on more material for the floors and ceiling before I added another layer of foam.

4. May 8, 2008 at 5:11 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    are you using the new speakers with the factory head unit? If so, is it a considerable improvement over the factory speakers?

5. May 8, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Wait about 2 months and check out your doors and see how the eDead is holding up. I have the crap in my doors as well and it aint pretty. I have had to removes the panels twice now to reattach/remove it after it coming loose and going into the window mechanism. I personally LOVE Second Skin over all other products, very similiar to Dynamat Extreme but with slightly heavier aluminum backing. also much easier to work with then the eDead. my .02 cents.

6. May 8, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    ShockDoc

ShockDoc [OP] Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Red
    I still have the factory head unit. The improvement is definitely noticable with new speakers. All I wanted was a little better sound clarity. I'd say I got it.

Well I don't like hearing that. This stuff can be messy. I'll have to follow up on it. Did you use a roller or how did you apply it? What was the temperature when you applied it? I have read that using a heat gun or blow dryer will help adhere the material.

7. May 8, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    atsaubrey

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    It was between 70-80 degrees in the garage when I did it and yes used a roller. I have my competition car that I first used it in and low and behold it is coming loose in there. Since then the comp. car has recieved 300ft3 of Second Skin and it hasn't peeled or moved a bit. As for using a heat gun....I feel that is just insane, there are way better products that dont require it, why save the money on the eDead only to double up on work???? Sounds crazy to me.

8. May 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    atsaubrey

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Before I really bash eDead, it does work no doubt about it. My concern is the longevity of it. I did want to set that part of the record str8.

9. Mar 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    I'm looking into the second skin. How much would ya think I need to cover the 4 doors and the rear wall?

10. Mar 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    I hate to dump, and I am in 100% agreement about doing a proper install with proper deadening.

With that said - E dead sucks. Aubrey is right, it will fail. I last used it about 3 years ago in a floor install, and stopped there and used second skin for the rest of the car.

Don, at Sound Deadener Showdown then introduced his own line, and I think it is at least as good as the Second skin, if not better. Also, his principals on install method, and proper use, are the best. You will find that a few other MFG's now use his recommendations, where they used to be on the "100% coverage is a must" bandwagon in order to sell more material.

I think he also does a "Tacoma Package".

11. Mar 26, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy!
    I would supposed you get what you pay for. How much does Second Skin cost?

12. Mar 26, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Read up on the web site I linked above. GREAT information on how to deaden.

13. Mar 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toyota already covered the floor with a crap ton of vibration dampner. I used about 2 square feet on the floor, most of it on the metal frame of the under seat storage. SOme vibration dampner on the roof is nice. What the floor does need is mass loaded vinyl. Foam is used as a vibration isolator and thermal insulator... it does not block or deaden sound at all really.

Products Discussed in

To Top