1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound, No Sound, Sound, No Sound

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tony382, May 11, 2023.

1. May 11, 2023 at 9:53 PM
    Tony382

Tony382 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey guys, I'd like to bounce this off some heads if any light can be shed on an issue I'm currently having. I recently had the OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 System installed. It sounds amazing, and I'm completely happy with the system itself. I work at a dealership and one of the homies that's a Tech installed it for me. He cut the left switch panel to install the Bass level switch. Not exactly eye candy but it's no show vehicle. I later find out that OEM Audio makes a Toyota specific bass level switch that fits in one of the blanks and it looks all clean. I went ahead and got it, and ordered a new switch plate. My homie installed it and everything was working great. I clock out and go to leave, and when I go to play some music, there is no sound. I call him up and tell him hey I think something disconnected, lets touch bass later. This was Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning i go to take off and the sound is working. It's bumpin! heck yeah. I text my homie tell him everything is cool. Sunday Afternoon, I get in my truck...nothing. Sunday night I go out and it's bumpin again. I'm a fluffy dude I'm thinking me getting in and out of the truck is dislodging something under the seat. Monday Morning, no sound. Homie checks it out and he says everything is fine and sound is working. I get in to go home...no sound. Just out of sheer curiosity, I'm sitting at a red light. I put it in park, turn off the truck, and i even open and close the door. I wait for the interior lights to turn off and wait a few seconds to let things power down. I turn on the truck, and lone and behold the sound comes on. So this sound issue only happens every other ignition cycle. The truck powering down does something. Electrical and Audio is out of my league. Here's what I know so far. 1) the Homie like Four Roses Bourbon. I got him a bottle of single barrel as a thank you. 2) The original bass level switch connected to the DSP. 3)The new Toyota specific switch connects to the AMP, not the DSP, and uses a different cable. My homie is still trouble shooting when he can and I told him it's no rush because eventually I know it'll get fixed and it's his time. Tomorrow he's reinstalling the original switch and cable to see if the issue persists. I've sent OEM Audio Plus an email but haven't heard back. I'm confident this issue will get resolved, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have heard of an issue like this?

OEM Audio Plus Switch.jpg
    OEM Audio Plus Toyota Switch.jpg

2. May 11, 2023 at 9:57 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    Double check all your wiring connections. I know, but do it.

soundman98, Stevie17 and Tony382[OP] like this.
  3. May 11, 2023 at 10:01 PM
    Tony382

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    You mean unplug it, and plug it back in? will do for reals.

4. May 11, 2023 at 10:40 PM
    Superdave1.0

Superdave1.0 Grandma Dave

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Undo the last thing you guys did. The new bass knob.

I personally don't like bass knobs and have learned to adjust the bass using the stereo if needed.

Stevie17 likes this.
  5. May 12, 2023 at 1:00 AM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    I mean double check all the connections and wires for anything loose or frayed.

Stevie17 and Tony382[OP] like this.
  6. May 12, 2023 at 3:54 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    When it isn’t working, check that the amp and DSP are on. Your issue could be related to remote turn on.

Stevie17 and RugglesTarlek like this.
  7. May 12, 2023 at 5:01 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    everything worked up until the new bass knob?

check every connection to/from the bass knob. unplug them, and plug them back in, even if they look connected. i'd also consider swapping in the old-and-working bass knob for a week to check if it's an issue with the new part.

Stevie17 likes this.
  8. May 13, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    Tony382

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    OEM Audio Plus actually got back to me. Their Techs are super busy right now because of Toyotafest down here, but they want me to send them the serial number on the amplifier. They said their gonna check something out. In the mean time, since the seat frame had to be tilted back again to get the serial number, I've disconnected the switch and left it off. I haven't had an issue yet. And if I need to adjust the base i can do it on the head unit. But even at 3/4 bass level, it bumps more than i feel is necessary. I may just leave the switch out.

Stevie17 likes this.
  9. Jun 17, 2023 at 3:26 PM
    jmercmon

jmercmon New Member

Member:
    You ever get this solved, I have a 500 Ref system I just installed in a 4Runner that has this exact same problem and I also have the bass Toyota knob.

10. Jun 17, 2023 at 6:12 PM
    Tony382

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday because it's been a month since I last spoke with them. Short answer, No, I have not had this issue resolved yet, although I am being patient with them. I'm not sure where you are located but OEM Audio Plus is local to me, about a ten min drive. I'll let you know where I have left things. I took my truck personally to their facility for troubleshooting. They don't do a lot of installs onsite, but they have the space. I explained to them what was happening and we were able to duplicate the issue. The first thing they swapped out was the amplifier. Reconnected everything...issue persisted. Then he replaced the Knob and cable. He did a very clean install...issue persisted. It only works every other ignition cycle. They were literally left dumbfounded because this was the first time this issue or symptom had presented itself. He offered to refund me my money and I said not right now. I would rather have you guys find out what's going on so that it can be fixed and any future sales of this system don't have this issue. I know it sucks but I'm kind of glad you have this issue because it means that I'm not the only one now. I would suggest emailing them, (that's how I've been corresponding) they've been pretty good about getting back to me although they mostly operate on the weekdays. Let them know you're having the same issue as me, and if they offer you money back take it. If this goes on for another month maybe I'll take my money back to. The head guy told me they were escalating the problem to their supplier who is in Germany that perhaps its a software coding problem in the amplifier. For now, I still have my knob installed and routed, it's just not plugged into the amplifier, and I'm not having any issues with it unplugged. I adjust the bass thru my head unit. That's currently where I'm at with this.

RedDemolisher likes this.
  11. Jun 26, 2023 at 6:05 PM
    jmercmon

jmercmon New Member

Member:
    Well first after reading your post i unplugged the knob from the amp and immediately the issue went away. Had it unplugged sense I posted and no more issue.

I contacted support and stated the issue and they said and I quote "I have reviewed your ticket with the engineer, and this is an isolated incident that we have not experienced before."

So they have sent me a bypass plug and asked me to pull the amp and Knob and send it to them, I'm a little unhappy about this based on what I paid and the fact that all this stuff is kind of proprietary to OEM audio, I feel like if they want to troubleshoot then send me a new amp & Knob I will swap them out and I can keep having my sound system ... then they can play all they want. Instead I have to be out of my gear for what will likely be 2 weeks. Especially knowing this is not an Isolated incident.

I am going to shoot you a PM.

12. Dec 25, 2023 at 7:24 AM
    TG07

TG07 New Member

Member:
    I have the same problem. No sound came out until I disconnected the remote subwoofer cable from the amp side. This is more than an isolated issue. Took hours to verify wiring just to have be this known problem. I emailed them, let’s see their response.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    Tony382[OP] likes this.
  13. Dec 25, 2023 at 9:15 AM
    Tony382

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    That's a bummer to hear. OEM ended up refunding me for the Toyota Specific knob bass switch and they also said to keep it. I still have it installed and the cable ran but it's disconnected. Haven't had issues since. I had hopes of them contacting me in the future for a fix but seeing how it's been 6 months, I think they've moved on to other things. I adjust the bass on the head unit. It kicks good for my liking and I have it set a little past half way.

14. Jan 13, 2024 at 11:29 AM
    TG07

TG07 New Member

Member:
    I fixed my error. I initially plugged the gain knob into the DSP amp instead of the separate sub amp. They should have made this clear or covered the DSP plug. Gain difference remains small from the extremely low to highest settings.

soundman98 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top