1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soundproofing a 2nd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seligman, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Aug 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you Enola.
    I know we are not talking about competition stereos. I was being challenged and even then I didn't go into the fact that I had a competition car or stereo. I was being challenged on the weight and cabin pressure.
    Man you guys are thick.

2. Aug 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    I 10/4 of Jokerjp's reply...I want to do a run across the roof next to the windshield........

I used the very cheap rubbers sticky house roofing material...just the same as my expensive dynamat!

3. Aug 22, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You said you had a competition setup in a Suburban. Please explain how that in any way applies to this thread.

idahodesert likes this.
  4. Aug 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    BBQ BOY

Member:
    The Suburban doesn't apply and it did not come into the conversation until later. I guess reading and comprehension wasn't your strong suit. Anyway the OP asked if it works good and where it would be best. I also stated I have done this in several truck and in my experience in the trucks that I did the sound deadening the rear wall and floor worked best for me. The Suburban came about because someone wanted to know where I came up with this stuff weighing close to 500#s.I never compared the Suburban to the Tacoma. Go back and start over.

5. Aug 22, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    :popcorn:I think he's right :anonymous:

6. Aug 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    too late

7. Aug 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    As usual, some moron gets caught blabbering about something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, such as 3 layers of soundproofing in a Suburban, and then blabbers insults when he/she is called on it. Post your address so I can send you some Pampers, crybaby.

[​IMG]

Comprehend that.

8. Aug 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    BBQ BOY

Member:
    Okaaaaay. You really are making yourself look like a tool. OK. you win. I'm a cry baby.

9. Aug 24, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    gcwaterski

Member:
    :anonymous:^^^ But what if he wanted three layers in his taco? He didn't say he didn't ya know. The topic was about soundproofing. I think it is relevant to know that when adding soundproofing you DO add weight. It may not be 300 pounds but it IS weight nonetheless...:quickdraw:

10. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    BBQ BOY

Member:
    Oh no. Wilson is right. ignorant but right.

11. Oct 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Gossamer

Gossamer Howard Roark

Member:
    West of Illinois and East of Nebraska
    ummmm, I just put an entire layer of BXTII in my truck...floors, back wall, doors...and that package that Rick sent weighed 32 lbs...of course that includes the ensolite...

I can say that the doors do swing a heavier...I'll post my review when I have the car entirely back together...but I can say that driving around with only my seat and no panels on the door, the truck is quite a bit quieter.

Let's face it, it's not a luxury vehicle and I'm about 450lbs short of the aforementioned Suburban so I don't expect complete silence.

Out of curiousity, where is this vent that you speak of on a double cab? I did a pretty thorough check of the back wall and only saw a drain plug.

idahodesert likes this.
  12. Oct 3, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    Raamat and Ensolite...its the best bang for the buck...+Rick hooks you up with a killer deal that can't be beat...

13. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I've used dynamat in my corvette and it made a significant difference. I'm going to do my Tacoma when I install the Nav system. I'm planning to cover the floors and lower third of the doors and rear cabin wall.

14. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    when i installed the raamat/ensolite I covered the whole interior...doors, roof, floor, rear firewall...definitely made a huge difference in getting rid of road noise and making the sounds system sounds much cleaner...

15. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    i dont think there is anyone else on this forum whom i enjoy reading their posts more than wilson's. and usually he's right and honest about things :thumbsup:

16. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just 2c but what do you think the difference in pressure between inside and the surrounding pocket of 65mph air?

17. Oct 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    Best way to soundproof a Tacoma is buy a Tundra.

I had a tundra before my taco and it was waaay quieter on the road

18. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    gcwaterski

Member:
    I don't think so in this case. I think he needed a change himself- but not a diaper....
    [​IMG]

19. Oct 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Really I think that this is a forum to spread knowledge and experience and no one apprecitates if someone starts typing outta their ass. Its apparent when that happens. I had some slob go irate cause told him he was full of baloney for calling his system (with an aftermarket h.u. and aftermarket speakers in the rear doors) stock.
    Somehow I find that "I used to be in competition", and loads of bullshit go hand in hand.
    I laid out Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro on the floor boards, around the base of the back seat, and underneath the center console.
    I put Second Skin Damplifier Pro on all the doors: inside and outside skins, and then put a layer of ensolite over the inside skin.
    Damplifier, Raammat, Dynamat etc.. is not a sound proofing material. It is an antivibration material that has some sound dampening qualities to it. It serves to keep vibration from resonating around your cabin. Engine vibrations, wheel/road vibrations etc. You do not need to cover every square inch and you would have purchased the wrong product entirely if you had to put on three layers.
    Luxury Liner is a sound proofing material and is not really suitable for vertical surfaces as it is heavy. You would need some industrial grade adhesive to keep large pieces in in place.
    Having done all this I find it makes a big difference in how my stereo sounds.
    It takes a significant amount of time to do it correctly, especially if its your first time.
    Really, it pisses people off when you post only to puff up your ego instead of really trying to help others. Its understandable if you get tarred and feathered.

20. Oct 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    x2 on what Jimirich said about Luxury Liner on vertical surfaces.

I did a layer of Damplifier Pro on the rear wall, floor and all four doors, on the inside and outside skins. Then I did a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and the inside of all four doors.

Here's a link to everything but the doors (did them later).
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/19457-longhorntacos-sound-dampening-mod.html

The luxury liner I put in the doors (using some pretty strong 3M spray adhesive) has some parts falling down inside, because some of the adhesive got on the windows.

It took a long time. The whole project, rear wall, floors and doors, took about 40 hours total, but it was my first time. And the difference in sound was noticeable, but I'm still on the fence about whether it was a $700 difference (price of all the material).

Products Discussed in

To Top