1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sounds like I put mud tires on

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10ga, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    10ga

10ga [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    None
    I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I put my 2006 TRD Off Road in low range last week to pull my kayak trailer up the river bank. Now I have a noise coming from the front, sounds just like I have aggressive mud tires on. Any ideas? Also seems like I can feel it in the pedal

Thanks!

BTW, I put it in 4 wheel drive high while at 30 MPH and the sound didn't change or go away. When I turn the steering wheel left to right while driving, the sound changes some

2. Aug 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Grease front driveshaft u-joints, Wheel bearings going out, ECGS needle bearing

10ga[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    Skyway

Skyway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ande'
    St.Pete
    Vehicle:
    White 2009 regular cab
    And use the 4WD allot more often on occasion / once a month even if its just on your driveway

4. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    I use my 4wd but never in low range. Should I exercise my low?

5. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    10ga

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    None
    I didn't get I'm the water and I use my 4 wheel drive at least once a week in the spring summer and fall when I go to the river. I probably out it in low more than my Land Cruiser

Skyway likes this.
  6. Aug 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. After you drive it for a while, feel both of the front hubs and see if one is warmer than the other.

7. Aug 11, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    Years ago, my dad was checking out a job site out in the country. It had rained a lot so he had some downtime. We were in his old F-150 and he drove through some water that was up over the hubs. A little while later, I really had to take a leak. He pulled over and I jumped out to take a whiz. I never liked that truck so while I was draining, I pissed on the passenger side back wheel. It sizzled! I said, "Dad, we've got a problem!" He got out and felt the dry part of the wheel and said we'd better head for home, keep an eye on it in the mirror.
    We got about a mile from home before it started smoking so we pulled over, walked home and got one of his semis with a low boy trailer and brought it home.

The point of the story is, whenever I think I have a problem like a wheel bearing or something like that, I always check the temperature of the hubs from sided to side to see if there's a difference. In that case, it saved us from being stranded out in the middle of no where.

8. Aug 11, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    10ga

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    None
    I drove the the truck about 20 miles the other day and checked the wheels but they both felt cool. It sounds just like a tire, almost thought about rotating them and see if the sound changes. I'm thinking u joint but not sure. I guess I'll start with the easiest and cheapest first and hope for the best.

Key-Rei likes this.
  9. Aug 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Low range is just in your T-Case simply engaging 4WD will exercise everything that needs to be moved in the front. I belive Toyota recomends 10miles of using 4WD a month and 10 switches in between 2Hi and 4WD wichever range. Again your T-Case determines range and as it's always slap full of gear oil everythings rotating and getting lubed in there anyway.

Although you may want to use 4WL simply to make our electronic actuators go through a full throw. Kind of forgot about that. So used to my 1st gen J shift case.

Really need to do the FJ twin stick case swap...

Mmm tripple sticks... Front digs.. :drool:

But you should make sure your gear box fluids are changed on the regular and use 4WD from time to time. I use it almost anytime I'm not on pavement or when in heavy rain mostly just because I want to make sure it keeps working.

Texas T[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    Does it do it in 2WD? If it does, jack up the front end just high enough to get the wheels off the ground. Sit down in front the tire, grab the top of the tire and shack the s##t out of it back and forth ( like try to push it into the engine and pull it back to you) if there is ANY movement.. wheel bearing. Super easy fix! With hand tools 1hr tops. Shop tools... I have done both fronts in an hour.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  11. Aug 11, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    I think the only "specialty" tools you need is a 35mm socket and a BF torqure wrench. If your wheel bearings have been done a time or two before you may want new stake nuts too. Just incase.

This is coming from 1st gen experience so double check me on the size of the socket.

12. Aug 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    FirstTimeFirstGen

FirstTimeFirstGen Less active than most

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Pacifica
    Vehicle:
    2004 4WD 3.4L Tacoma (Manual)
    Not enough to have a build thread.
    Not sure about the front diff and all that spinning. My first gen has electronic actuators on the front diff. I believe the diff and the tcase both disengage and engage with 4wd/2wd selection. Obviously the halfshafts still turn but not sure about the gears...

13. Aug 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I thought all first gen's were vacuum actuated front ADD's?

14. Aug 11, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    2nd Gen are whole bearing and hub assembly units. Can't just swap the bearing anymore. Wish it was that easy and especially that cheap :)

Try doing a 2nd Gen rear wheel bearing without a machine shop and $400+ lol!

(I did both of mine)

15. Aug 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Whaaaat! Lame! :eek:

16. Aug 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    FirstTimeFirstGen

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Pacifica
    Vehicle:
    Not sure what ADD stands for, but I have an electronic actuator on my front diff and tcase. And my front driveshaft does not spin in 2wd

17. Aug 12, 2017 at 10:10 AM
    10ga

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    None
    This is what I'm thinking.

18. Aug 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    ADD stands for "Automatic Disconnecting Differential" it's Toyota's brand of 4WD on demand. I.e. not manual hubs. I haven't eyeballed the front diff on my 2nd too hard yet but I know my 1st was a vacuum actuated fork for the front diff. T-case was a J-Shift lever and the E-Locker was electronic as the name implies.

19. Aug 12, 2017 at 12:44 PM
    FirstTimeFirstGen

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Pacifica
    Vehicle:
    So maybe its different for different years or something? I have the button on the shifter for 4wd engagement, then my 4wd shifter changes from high/neutral/low range. I'm not too familiar with the design but I know my front driveshaft is stationary in 2wd

20. Aug 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM
    10ga

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    1993 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    None
    So tomorrow we're going to hook up wireless chassis diagnostic mics and see where the noise is coming from. I want to add a few mods to my Taco but I need to figure out where my vibration is coming from and fix it. I still think it's going to be a wheel bearing but my buddy swears he can pinpoint the sound with his new toy / chassis mics. Has anyone used one of these? Just curious how accurate they are.

Another question, I want a little lift, just tired of the stock height. Can anyone give me a suggestion of what I should go with? I would love to go with 285/75/16's but I don't want to hurt my fuel economy and factory ride. I've lifted several Land Cruisers but have not done a Tacoma so not really sure what I need to go with. My mechanic friend has a Tacoma that he lifted a little and he says I should do a leveling kit and no more than 265/75/16's. My Tacoma is a 2006 TRD Off Road so would I need to change the shocks or can I leave them? This is my daily driver so don't want a lot of change, just beefier tires and look. I use my 100 series Land Cruiser for my trail rig so very doubtful I'll be taking my Taco on the trails. I use if for work and I tow my kayak trailer to the river 5 or 6 times a month. I found a used Leer camper top I'm picking up this Friday so I'm excited about changing the look a little. Thanks for the help and lift advice

Products Discussed in

To Top