1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Southern Style Offroad new management

Discussion in 'Southern Style OffRoad' started by tgerno, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Oct 5, 2023 at 9:37 AM
    tgerno

tgerno [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just got this email when asking about my order that was placed in June:
    "Thank you for reaching out about your SSO order.

We have some important updates regarding the SSO brand. Due to supply chain and financial challenges, the SSO brand is now under new management. We realize this news is unexpected.

However, as the new owner of SSO, with over 25 years in the automotive sector, we're fully committed to delivering your order. While transitions like this can result in delays, our priority remains to be able to fulfill the order you placed with the previous management.

Our current projection is to start shipping back orders by the end of this year and to have all backorders shipped by the end of the first quarter of next year. We are committed to ensuring clear, timely updates as we work to fulfill your order, and we genuinely regret the wait you've experienced.

For our records, please forward your original order, full name, email, and phone number to us so we can ensure your order arrives with no delays once it is available to ship.

You should expect another update once we have a more precise estimated ship date. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this email.

Your trust and patience are invaluable as we rebuild the SSO brand."

From Hybrid Racing/William Davidson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *UPDATE* Since I started the thread, Will asked if I would add his update in post #42 here. Here it is...

A New Chapter for Southern Style Offroad.

For years, SSO has stood as a hallmark of quality and trust. Like many businesses that experience rapid growth, SSO encountered challenges they weren't fully equipped to tackle. This led to financial strains, jeopardizing a brand many trusted for their builds.

We've watched SSO's journey as fellow Baton Rouge business community members. We felt compelled to act when we learned of the challenges they faced. Too many great businesses in this industry have faded away, and we believed SSO deserved better.

As of October 1st, Offroad Holdings, LLC took ownership of the SSO brand. We have led successful automotive aftermarket brands in Baton Rouge, LA, since 2001. We know the potential hurdles of rebuilding a brand and are fully equipped to address them using our extensive resources and experience.

To ensure a smooth transition for the brand and products, we have hired the original SSO fabricator and engineer and have already produced prototypes and the first articles of SSO products. We are moving fast, and our entire team is focused on fulfilling your backorders and keeping you in the loop with timely updates and clear communication. We're dedicated to preserving and enhancing the quality and reputation that drew you to SSO in the first place.

So that you can stay updated, we encourage you to rely on the official emails, our newsletter, and our website for updates and information. Our official email newsletter will give you insights into lead times and offer a behind-the-scenes look at our manufacturing process through videos and images. While we have a clear roadmap for SSO's revival, we acknowledge that there may be challenges along the way. We believe in transparent communication, and these updates aim to keep you informed every step of the way.

In addition, over the next 30 days, expect a personal phone call from me. There are well over 400 calls to make, and I will be on the phone every day until every customer who has an order on backorder gets a call from me. We can address any questions on this call and discuss your order details firsthand.

We're excited about this new chapter for SSO. Together, with your continued support and our dedication, we envision a brighter, stronger future for the brand—a future where quality, trust, and community remain at the forefront. Thank you for being an integral part of this journey, and here's to many more successful years ahead for SSO!

-Will

We deeply value the input of the SSO community. As we navigate this transition, we welcome your feedback — both praises and critiques. Feel free to reach out with any insights or suggestions.

If you have an open order, please reference the FAQ below for a summary of the above and the next steps you should take.

Q: What happened to SSO?

Like many businesses that experience rapid growth, SSO encountered challenges they weren't fully equipped to tackle. This led to financial strains and the old owners filing for bankruptcy.

Q: Who bought the brand?

Offroad Holdings, LLC, led by myself along with my two partners. We have spearheaded successful automotive aftermarket brands in Baton Rouge, LA, since 2001. Our portfolio, which includes recognized names like Hybrid Racing and DC Sports, is a testament to our expertise in brand development, engineering, and manufacturing.

Q: I have an open order. What is going to happen to it?

We genuinely understand the financial concerns surrounding previous orders. While we've taken ownership of the SSO brand and designs, we didn't assume its past debts. The funds from earlier orders are with the original company, which is dealing with bankruptcy proceedings.

However, we're committed to providing viable options for our customers: you can wait for your original order or receive a gift card of equivalent value.

Q: Can you explain the options I have in more detail?

1. Option 1 - Wait for Your Original Order: We're transitioning designs and production to our Ocala, Florida facility. We expect back orders to start shipping by the end of this year and aim to complete all open orders by March 2024. We may also present an option to upgrade your order at no charge if a different product comes into stock that will accomplish or exceed your original goals.

2. Option 2 – Convert your order into a Gift Card: You can receive a gift card equal to your original order amount. This card can be used on our soon-to-be-launched website, where products will be restocked regularly. We'll send you the gift card as soon as the site is live.

Q: When do you anticipate orders will start shipping?

A: We're relocating manufacturing from Baton Rouge to our manufacturer. We aim to begin shipping orders by the end of this year and anticipate all orders to be out by March 2024. Stay tuned; we'll share more specific updates as we move forward.

Q: How do I get a refund? Why can't I get a refund?

A: We genuinely understand the concerns and frustrations many have regarding refunds. To clarify, while we've taken ownership of the SSO brand and designs, we did not inherit its financial obligations or access to its previous revenues. Therefore, we cannot issue refunds directly from our resources. Our commitment to you is to fulfill backorders and provide quality products at our own cost. With this intervention, SSO customers will now receive compensation and products.

We genuinely hope you understand our position and appreciate your continued patience and trust. We want to emphasize that the issues faced by SSO were beyond our control and before our involvement. Yet, we've taken on the challenge to set things right for you.

Q: How do I finalize my choice?

A: Review the options above and choose the one that best suits your preference. Once you have decided, please visit this link and complete the form: https://forms.office.com/r/D8fBKxRUCW

You will also receive an email from the new website in the coming weeks, prompting you to create an SSO password to access your order or view your Gift Card.

Q: How will the product quality be ensured under new management?

A: Our commitment is to equal or surpass the original SSO quality. Despite changes in management and operations, we promise to ensure the products delivered under the SSO brand match, if not exceed, the quality and reputation that drew you to SSO in the first place.

To ensure this promise:

1. All our products will continue to be proudly made in the USA, aligning with the original vision of SSO.

2. We have retained the original jigs and designers, ensuring the core craftsmanship and design principles remain intact.

3. Every product undergoes rigorous quality checks before shipping, ensuring you receive precisely what you expect.

Q: What if something goes wrong?

While we have a clear roadmap for SSO's revival, we acknowledge that there may be challenges along the way. Some potential hurdles include the logistics of relocating manufacturing or unforeseen supply chain issues. Rest assured, with our extensive experience and resources, we're well-prepared to address these challenges head-on, ensuring minimal impact on our customers.

Q: How will I get future updates?

A: We understand that rumors and speculations can arise during times of change. However, we encourage our valued community to rely solely on the official email newsletter, website, and social media channels for accurate date information.

Our official email newsletter will give you insights into lead times and offer a behind-the-scenes look at our manufacturing process through videos and images. We believe in transparent communication, and these updates aim to keep you informed every step of the way.

Last edited: 29 minutes ago
    Info@southernstyleoffroad.com | (225) 726-7979
    IG @SS_Offroad

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  2. Oct 5, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    cowfootball

cowfootball Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    !?

that's insane, rip to a fantastic brand

Shveet, 02Duck and Thunder Fist like this.
  3. Oct 5, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    tgerno

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    When I emailed Will Davidson back about my order, shortly after, he called me on my cell phone. If found him to be very sincere in wanting to ensure SSO remains a high quality product and I had a great conversation with him. I know he wants to get on this forum, and asked if I could post this message from him until he could do so:

SSO Brand Update:
    Due to supply chain and financial challenges, the SSO brand is transitioning to new management. While this news might be unexpected, we took this step to preserve the quality and legacy that SSO has built over the years. With our 25 years of expertise in the automotive industry, we're fully equipped and dedicated to delivering your order. We've onboarded the original SSO engineers and designers to ensure consistent product quality.

Order Delivery Timeline:
    We have shifted all of SSO production to our US manufacturing facilities. You can anticipate back orders to start shipping by this year's end and all pending orders to ship by the end of March 2024. Rest assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.

Your Order Details:
    Having recently accessed SSO's internal systems, we've temporarily paused new orders to focus on existing ones. Please send us your original order number, name, email, and phone number so we can ensure smooth delivery.

Next Steps:
    Please be on the lookout for our next update, which will provide a more exact shipping date. If you have questions or prefer a phone chat, please reply with your contact number, and I'll contact you personally.

Your trust means everything as we navigate this new chapter for SSO. We're committed to transparency and value your patience.

Warm regards,
    William Davidson
    Southern Style Offroad
    info@southernstyleoffroad.com
    225-407-0583

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    SR-71A and 02Duck like this.
  4. Oct 6, 2023 at 10:16 AM
    Sleepyt23

Sleepyt23 New Member

Member:
    4Runner owner here and currently in the same boat as OP. Ordered bumper in May 2023 expecting delivery within the next 2-3 weeks at most.

I’ve had a terrible time trying to get a response through emails or phone calls since I ordered. Then I get the same email from Will this morning that importantly says…

Refunds:

Regrettably, we don't have access to the funds from past transactions, making it impossible to issue refunds. If we had not stepped in and taken over SSO, you would have received no refund or bumper from the previous owner. However, we have taken the initiative to invest in fulfilling every backorder.

Now I MIGHT have my order in March 2024 but who knows.

Thoroughly disappointed with SSO and their lack of communication.

5. Oct 6, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    cowfootball

Member:
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    Unless the business filed Chapter 11, I don't think that's actually an option for them. Chapter 11 would allow debtors to collect and by not doing so they've taken on the liability. If I were you, I would be doing a credit card chargeback and looking for a new bumper because if you have any QA issues or require any long-term support, I'm not sure I see that happening.

This isn't a good situation for anyone. I can't imagine that SSO continues to operate after this and I question whether or not having them remain here as a vendor under the same name is warranted...

And hey, if you do a credit card chargeback it sounds like it won't impact the new owners because they aren't seeing the $$ from orders anyway, so you're only taking money from the people who apparently abandoned the business.

6. Oct 6, 2023 at 10:37 AM
    Sleepyt23

Sleepyt23 New Member

Member:
    Answering service has changed and no one is picking up the phone.

Emails are getting auto-returned as well.

7. Oct 6, 2023 at 10:40 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    This is interesting indeed... The contact that I had made over there did suddenly stop working there a few weeks back, but I spoke with (I believe) the founder's mother here just a few weeks back as she was handling the phones and she was pleasant. I'm wondering if the original family just got bought out? :notsure:

I was planning to reach out to them anyway as I received a product this week that had disappointingly bad powdercoating done on it. It would appear that there's no resources to make it right though so I might just get to suck it up and redo locally.

Also, looks like someone has access to the forum account --
    upload_2023-10-6_11-37-37.png

8. Oct 6, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    GaTacoma15

GaTacoma15 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road, billstein lift, 285s, the usual
    Bilstein 5100s, JBA uppers, AAL, 285s
    My order was placed June 3rd and it just hit 120 days so I emailed them and I received the same email about the change. Quite disappointing.

Out2gtcha likes this.
  9. Oct 6, 2023 at 1:17 PM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    Ah man, this is disappointing. I got a bumper from them years ago and it's been awesome. I hate it for you guys who are dealing with this.

JKU3000 and Shveet like this.
  10. Oct 6, 2023 at 2:02 PM
    tgerno

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    The phone number in my post #3 was posted with the new owners permission. His phone number is at the end of it and he has been responsive to me.

Merling and pastoreater like this.
  11. Oct 6, 2023 at 2:22 PM
    damonhimself

damonhimself Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    I just had a 20 or so minute long conversation with William Davidson, the new owner of SSO. It was a good conversation, and I think that he has good intent of how to help SSO's customers. The company was in turmoil, and he was able to acquire it at a good price. The previous owners had let the company get to a point of a downward spiral that they were not going to recover from. While the money that we (myself included) invested in a purchase of a product that we have not received is gone, he is investing his own money into taking care of each and every one of the orders on backorder. All SSO products were previously made mostly by hand (he mentioned some cad drawings and notes, and jigs to build the sliders) which takes a lot of time, and a lot of man labor. He already owns at least one other aftermarket car parts company, and already has a team of manufacturing facilities that are getting ramped up to take on building the parts at a large scale that SSO was making before. This should exponentially speedup the time to manufacturer the parts that we all have on backorder. He mentioned that he wants to personally reach out to every customer with an open order and let them know what his intentions are, and what he can offer to them. He seems like a very knowledgeable businessman, and very genuine. He said that he knows the brand had a great reputation in the past, and wants to get SSO back to that level. I know some of us here have hot heads (I damn sure do), and I feel like he does want to do that right thing, he has the capital to do it, and will take care of us, so I am willing to wait this out to see if he is good to his word to get us all taken care of.

SR-71A, Out2gtcha, drizzoh and 9 others like this.
  12. Oct 7, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    Dcs

Dcs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Whitey
    This is all a disappointing mess for sure.....

I ordered a bumper on June 20th.

August 29th I received an email from them saying they haven't forgotten.....

September 16th I received an email from Kevin Berthelot placing the blame on supply chain and labor issues, and he set a goal of having all orders shipped in 8-10 weeks.

I will be seeking a refund - or recovery of my money by other avenues.

13. Oct 10, 2023 at 10:42 AM
    gobblestop

gobblestop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    I have filed a CC claim on my sliders. I got a call from William Davidson this morning apologizing for what has transpired. He was actually relieved I filled the claim, because I'm sure he is spending more than he anticipated. Kevin B really made a mess of things. I need to trust my gut more, I have been uneasy about my orders since I placed them in April. William seems like a transparent individual, I'm rooting for him. Ill revisit in the spring, if he has it whipped into shape, I'll give him a shot at my next build. He has also offered to correctly build my bumper that SSO messed up and would not make good on.

14. Oct 10, 2023 at 10:44 AM
    cowfootball

Member:
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    I'm struggling to understand how he can see the chargebacks but doesn't have the cash. This whole thing just seems really suspect.

airmax233 and gobblestop[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Oct 10, 2023 at 10:56 AM
    gobblestop

gobblestop Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New owner is being contacted by "stripe". He is offering to fulfill the orders as soon as he can get them built. He will not offer refunds. He starts bumpers next week, and sliders in November is the goal. All fabrication and powder coat moves to his Florida location. Every chargeback lets him off the hook for fulfillment, and puts the burden on the guy who has our money. On paper, I guess every CC charge back lowers his purchase price of the SSO Brand and Designs.

16. Oct 10, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Sounds like the acquisition was well thought-out

gobblestop[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM
    damonhimself

damonhimself Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    that is the way that I took it. He seems to want to do what is right for the customers, but if he doesn't have to eat the cost of fulfilling the order because of a charge back, it saves him money on his investment. Here is his other company, that I actually have heard of, and they have a good name in the Honda/Acura K-series world. https://www.hybrid-racing.com/pages/about-us

vivid02 likes this.
  18. Oct 10, 2023 at 2:38 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    This is how I see it as well. I struggle to believe that SSO has enough "social equity" to justify purchasing the brand as well as all of its outstanding orders, but I may not be seeing the bigger picture. Being 6mos behind on production is quite the hill to climb financially, especially if you're not being furnished with the raw materials (which that part I don't know). You can also still go onto the SSO site and buy something right now. I'm just not seeing how purchases made today aren't directly going to fund the orders not yet fulfilled kicking the can down the road. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I'm saying that pile of money building up would be really hard to ignore.

Maybe there's a lot fewer outstanding orders than I am visualizing. That would change things as well.

Merling likes this.
  19. Oct 10, 2023 at 4:35 PM
    CaliRaisedLed

CaliRaisedLed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Texas (DFW)
    Hello everyone. We have been watching this whole SSO ( Southern Style Offroad ) situation play out and we feel the need to step in, give our opinion, and offer help. To begin this is a terrible situation, not only for you the customer but the employees, families, and vendors who will also be burned. We as manufacturers are personally sick and tired of seeing our competitors go out of business and STEAL your hard-earned money. This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. You may side with SSO but at the end of the day, they took your money, led you on, lied to you, and had no problem not delivering you a product while taking the easy way out.
    While we understand that someone is trying to revive this company, we have seen this exact scenario play out several times before. For those who are familiar with PELFREYBILT, MOBTOWN OFFROAD, SOS CONCEPTS, SHROCKWORKS, AND NOW SOUTHERN STYLE OFFROAD just to name a few. All of these companies are reading from the same playbook in going bankrupt while stealing people's money.

Could an "Investor" come in and fix this situation? Possibly? Although there is SOO much to take into consideration. This is exactly the same scenario, where someone is trying to come in and save the brand, but in reality, it will take months to source material, quote manufacturing, create custom fixtures, shipping the orders, and not to mention tons of capital to "potentially" pull this off. Also not to mention paying off the debt they are already in.. No vendor is going to extend credit to them... Everything will need to be paid up front. Unfortunately, history does repeat itself as proven with multiple companies I have mentioned above.

Solution: FILE A CHARGEBACK IMMEDIATELY... That will be your only opportunity to get your money back. We want to do our part to assist those affected by our competitor's closure. If you have purchased a product from them that has not been recieved and can provide a valid receipt, we are here to help. We will offer you a 25% discount on a similar product from our product lineup, and we will ensure it is promptly shipped to you. You work hard to outfit your vehicle for adventure. We will get you your product within a week as all bumpers, skids, racks, etc are in stock and ready to ship from our DC in Fort Worth, Texas (PLEASE EMAIL INFO@CALIRAISEDLED.COM WITH A RECEIPT/INVOICE) LETS GET YOU YOUR PRODUCTS ASAP SO YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT FOR SOME "INVESTOR" TO KEEP PLAYING WITH YOUR MONEY.

Thank you to the Toyota community for everything you have done for us. If anyone has any questions, please let us know how we can help, we apologize for the rant, but this is truly unacceptable to what our industry continues to do by taking advantage of our amazing community.

Contact us anytime 888-385-5036 or email us info@caliraisedled.com or send us a DM.

CaliRaisedLED
    www.caliraisedled.com

Tatts521, theolee, Al Hoff and 7 others like this.
  20. Oct 10, 2023 at 7:15 PM
    damonhimself

damonhimself Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    While nice of you to step in and try to offer assistance to everyone by offering to sell your product, it comes across as a bit like a guy telling a girl to leave her boyfriend that she thinks (with no proof) is cheating on her and to get with him. It's a little cringy, and you honestly put a bad taste in my mouth. You sound like a used car salesman.

I get what you are trying to prove by comparing other companies that went under, but SSO has not done that yet. Only time will tell what the future holds for them after this buy out. William was able to purchase the brand, designs, and such from Kevin for a price that he thought was fair. When he considered how far behind SSO was in fulfillment (600 orders) he determined that even filling those orders still made sense as an investment into keeping the company going under new ownership and management. He didn't invest, he bought the portions of the company that he needed, and is assuming the we-owes of the previous owner.

gsubioguy, SR-71A, giddie and 5 others like this.
To Top