1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spacers and Ball Joints(Gimme you're input)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOH, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aug 26, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    SLOH

SLOH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    Okay, currently i am running a 3" OME lift with 285/70R17 BFG A/T's. I have stock control arms and no spacers. I have mild rubbing only when the wheel is cranked all the way. I'm going to be getting new wheels and tires so i want to switch to 285/75R16 KM2's, most people are saying i'm going to need spacers or don't run that fat of a tire...i'm already running that fat of a tire though so would the mild tire rub increase that much? Also people say i would probably need to trim, i haven't had to trim anything so far and i'm already running that size tire, the only thing changing is the size of the tire wall because of the smaller rim. I'm assuming i would need to trim less if i had spacers on.

LASTLY and more importantly, spacers...some people are strongly against them while others aren't, i know they wear out your ball joints faster but how fast? Is it really going to affect them noticeably...give me your input and stories.

I know guys its alot of questions but i need answers

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    if you are getting new rims and stuff...I'd get that...Give them a try and then see if you are okay with the rubbing that it does. If it's fine by you...Who cares what everyone else says...if it bugs you...Trim/throw the spacers on there.

The spacers are more of a concern for wheel bearings than ball joints. And lots of folks (myself included) run them with no issues. I'm not a wild fan of them...but I don't have 1200 to get the rims and tires I want right now...so spacers it is...

Products Discussed in

To Top