1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire Opinions

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 10.21, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM

10.21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    I haven't done any mod's to the truck yet (beside replacing the tailgate my father-in-law smashed up) because its still new and I've been on leave since I've had the truck. But, one thing has been really bugging me. What to do with a spare tire...and on many different levels.

1.) When going for a lift and/or new wheels (tires & rims) should I purchase a fifth one or is it unnecessary? I plan on doing 33in. tires with 17in rims (unsure of the thickness) and don't think that will fit under the bed of the truck where I carry the stock spare now.

2.) When running the 33 tire and 17 rim, do I even have to worry about purchasing that fifth wheel to act as a spare or will the stock do fine?

3.) I really love TireGate, I think they look awesome and are pretty convenient when it comes to spare storage. The wife outranks me and technically bought my truck and is really concerned on bed space. I am too considering I'm in the military and often move (and hate TMO).
    Is there an alternative to the TireGate? Keep the stock tailgate but install something in the bed to mount the tire that can easily be removed if the bed space is needed.

4.) This is where I'm leaning and I'm sure my mind will change after looking through the "Members Galleries" of photos like I have been for the past hour but just throwing the spare in the back, ratchet it down, and move it when ever I am hauling larger loads.

Four seems easier and more convenient but as much as I like to get the truck dirty and I do care about the looks of it which is why I lean toward the tire gate. I just want to know other peoples opinions. Maybe what you or somebody you know has done that was really convenient. Anything, positive or negative, throw it out there. The devil and angel on each of my shoulders are not helping.

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I wish I had one. Got my first flat the other day. I hve 33's and plan to get a 5th tire and wheel as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top