1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire TPMS light?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MTLTaco, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nov 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    MTLTaco

MTLTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Put on my winters the other day. 245/75 16 BFG Winter Slalom KSI on my Gunmetal TRD wheels. One wheel was a bitch to ballance so I put on the back right side if my truck. As soon as I approach 65km/h I get a shudder and its not coming from the steering wheel. Anyway I sent it out today to be straitened out and I had no choice but to mount my 17" spare. Anyway as I am heading up the highway after work no shudder but the TPMS light came on. Do you guys think this could have something to do with the bigger spare? I appreciate it

2. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    No it's because you only have TPMS in the 4 main wheels and not the spare.
    Check for rubber valve stem?
    2009 and 2010 do not have tpms in spare. The absence of the fourth sensor is what set the lite off.;)

3. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    wareagle5693

wareagle5693 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    3" Spacer Lift, with Bilstein 5100s front and rear, BHLM, Satoshi grill, Blacked out tail lights, Midland CB radio, 4' Radio Shack antenna mounted in the bed, Volant CAI, Gibson Exhaust, Magellan GPS, debadged, aries bull bar, pro comp 7089 wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6200BT head unit, eagle eyes halo projector, 8000K DDM tuning HID bulb
    Maybe that's just the new ones... I've got my spare tire out of the truck for now, and it has the TPMS, I've been riding around without mine and it hasn't come one yet.

4. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    true. i was going to say the tires heat up when you start driving which causes air to expand and add greater pressure

5. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    You have an '08?;)
    Then you have TPMS spare. Like I said 2009 and 2010 have conventional valve stems in the spare and the owners manual calls them TEMPORARY spares.

6. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    MTLTaco

Member:
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Really? I was under the empression that my 09 had a sensor in the spare?

7. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My money is on not- No one elses has.
    Take a look at it tho- If it has a metal valve stem...TPMS is has. If it's a rubber stem....TPMS it has not.

My guess is where ever rim with new tire #4 went to be balanced it took the 4th TPMS sensor with it and that caused the light.

Does the TPMS light flash then got solid when you turn on the truck...so just come on solid and stay that way??

8. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    MTLTaco

Member:
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Just checked it out. My spare does have a rubber valve stem. You guys were right. Now my question is will it reset itself once I put my wheel back on?

9. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It should...Once the sensor is within range of the head unit...should be good to go. If it's not- Make sure all the pressure are right a press the button under the steering wheel.

10. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    MTLTaco

Member:
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Thanks alot man. I appreciate it.

11. Nov 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    wareagle5693

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    3" Spacer Lift, with Bilstein 5100s front and rear, BHLM, Satoshi grill, Blacked out tail lights, Midland CB radio, 4' Radio Shack antenna mounted in the bed, Volant CAI, Gibson Exhaust, Magellan GPS, debadged, aries bull bar, pro comp 7089 wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6200BT head unit, eagle eyes halo projector, 8000K DDM tuning HID bulb
    What's the flashing mean?

12. Nov 6, 2009 at 2:03 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Flashing means one of the sensors is broken.

13. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Ehhh....Yeah....That ^

Sorry...I went to bed.

14. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    m_taker1

m_taker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bug deflecter, vent shades, Airaid Intake, Pop 'n lock, replaced chrome bumper with black bumper, replaced chrome grille surround with a black grille surround, blacked out logo in the front, debadged, center console lock, grom audio mp3/ipod,weathertech digital liners
    my spare has the tpms sensor, i actually just had a problem with my tpms light staying on. it was our first cold this year and all 4 of my tires were running the same psi and then i checked up under the spare and it had a tpms sensor too...filled that up to match the other 4 and the light went out!!

15. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    What I started doing on my 2007 was to put just enough air in so it would reset and then over inflate it within max pressure rating so it wouldn't go on for a longer time.

16. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    wareagle5693

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Would it flash if say, the spare tire wasn't in range?

17. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    It should come on solid if the spare 1) Has a sensor and 2) is low.

The flashing is if a sensor has gone bad.

18. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I would think so since yours wants to see 5 sensors and not 4 so it figures one is not funtioning hence flashing light. My theory anyways.
    Let us know what happens when you get the spare back in range?

19. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    wareagle5693

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Well mine flashed twice yesterday, once as I was driving down the road, and the second when I cranked up the truck again. I got new tires Wednesday, and they put a 33" spare tire on, and it won't fit and I don't have a way to lock it in the bed, so I'm going without it for now and I'm leaving it at the house... could that be why? and it thinks that the sensor is bad because it's out of range?

20. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    My bad- When you said range I was thinking PSI range nor distance range. YES it would flash in that case IIRC.

Products Discussed in

To Top