1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spark Plug Debate

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SharkMan, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Feb 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM
    SharkMan

SharkMan [OP] Carolina Alliance: Citadel Div

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser Play N Trade Ed
    I'm curious to know what kind of spark plugs everyone is running in their truck. I replaced mine over the summer with Bosch copper ones with the dual grounds and haven't had any trouble although it seems Bosch has a bad rap on these boards. I never could find any solid information on whether or not it was ok to go with a different kind of metal such as platinum or iridium. Fianlly does anyone know anything about the Pulstar plugs and what effect they would have on the 3.4L? They claim to increase gas mileage but it would be hard to recoup the $25 a plug price. Finally what are the good plug wire sets to go with? I also put in a Bosch premium wire set two days ago and noticed a improvement in how the engine sounded. Of course the wires I replaced were original and stamped 1998.

2. Feb 6, 2008 at 12:02 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I've heard horror stories with the Bosch plugs about them breaking off inside... not good. Stick with Denso or NGK plugs and wires, you'll be happier for it in the long run. The Pulstar plugs are still too new to have any unbiased opinions, but for $25/plug, I'd spend that money on gas or other mods instead. You don't need iridium plugs unless you're boosted or too lazy to change your plugs every 30K miles.

3. Feb 6, 2008 at 12:13 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I usually run standard NGK R plugs in my 4cyl's but got denso's in my 96..not bad but dont see where the extra $$ they cost is really going anywhere

4. Feb 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM
    LHAHN07

LHAHN07 Active Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside TRD 4x4 SR5
    AEM intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Summit Racing leveling kit, Westin stanless steel Bull Bar, Line-X bedliner, B&M shifter, Performance Products stainless sidesteps, grey wire mod, more parts on the way!
    I run the stock style NGK's with the daul ground electrode. I tried NGK Laser Iridiums and lost 3 mpg on my gas mileage...:frusty:

I would like to replace my wires though. They have about 43,000 miles on them.

5. Feb 6, 2008 at 10:41 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    This may be a really dumb questions but y does toyota require that you run the dual ground electrode in the tacomas engine does it just give it a hotter spark or is there more to it then that?

6. Feb 7, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    SharkMan

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    The manual says its for performance but I've heard from a lot of people it doesn't matter.

7. Feb 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    Huntgrrl

Huntgrrl Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Regular cab 2.7L 4x4
    Sambar stag antler shifter, goat roper seat covers, janky campershell I got for free, line-x'd bed, bilstiens, tow package, cracked windshield....c'mon I bounce around in the desert all day, no room for beauty contests...even though I like my truck any way she comes.
    I just bought a set of NGK platinum spark plugs and am wondering if they are the right plug...I was spooked a bit hy the comment on someone using NGK and losing MPG's. Anyhow, havn't put them in yet but am wondering if these will work...the auto zone guy said they would?
    Part number:
    BKR5EGP stock no. 7090

8. Feb 12, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    SharkMan

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    NGKs are factory standard so I imagine as long as you have the right gap, which should be around .44 you should be good.

9. Feb 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    yeah i use standard NGK I dont really buy into all that iridium or platnum crap...

10. Feb 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    Huntgrrl

Huntgrrl Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Regular cab 2.7L 4x4
    Sambar stag antler shifter, goat roper seat covers, janky campershell I got for free, line-x'd bed, bilstiens, tow package, cracked windshield....c'mon I bounce around in the desert all day, no room for beauty contests...even though I like my truck any way she comes.
    The guy didn't really give me much of a choice, they where cheap enough...only three buck a peice or something...they have a really small spark plate so not sure about them and he suggested not adjusting them and said they where gapped right....hmmmmmm! We shall see, I was shocked to see that there was no rotor cap and cables and the funky configuration of the plugs, still pretty confident I can do it myself but dang, it as simple on the old 22r when you could see the plugs and pull a rotor cap. I looked in to the replacement cost for the plug wires on this 2.7L and they are 73 bucks a pop, I don't think I will be changing them anytime soon unless something happens....wtf? Newer vehicles and all their doodads.

11. Feb 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    SharkMan

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    I got Bosch premium wires from Autozone for about $50 for the 3.4 so you should be able to go cheaper. I recommend you use a piece of fuel line to screw in the plugs initially since the heads are aluminum and torquing them in wrong could break the threads.

12. Feb 13, 2008 at 3:33 PM
    Huntgrrl

Huntgrrl Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Regular cab 2.7L 4x4
    thanks for the feul line tip, I almost forgot about it and then was fortunate enough to remember when I was buying some 303 at checkers today...first place in nm I have found that carries 303, my interior is screaming for it. Anyhow....I have a phobia of cross threading and having to helicoil things.......I think just about every spark plug hole in m old 22r had been helicoiled (or something along those lines)...whantwhantwhaaaaaaaa....yeah, no dad around to fix it this time.

13. Feb 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    lazylost2000

lazylost2000 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 X-Cab
    K&N Air Intake, Magnaflow Cat back exhaust, Denso Iridium Plugs, all component speakers are MA Audio, additional 1.5 Tweeters, Shallow Pioneer Premier 10' subs, 1200w Pioneer Premier Amp, clear corner lenses, Altezza taillights, Billet Grill, Billet stubby antenna, 8500 HID headlights, 265/70 BFG AT
    I have only heard of the Pulstar plugs having an impact on highly tune TACOs. As far as single and double ground, yeah TOYOTA recommends to use the double ground, but they also say that changing the fuel filter is not necessary:confused:. I just changed my plugs at 75k to Denso Iridiums. They are single grounded, and I haven't had any issues.:)

14. Mar 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Kelsey

Kelsey Camping Lover

Member:
    Jasper, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 Doublecab TRD 2WD
    K&N, Redline Differential Fluid
    The biggest benefit in the iridium and platinum is the durability. I know the iridiums are supposed to go 100k, but I'm not sure about the platinums, though they last longer than copper.
    One excellent reason to change ALL plugs at or before 100k though is that if you have aluminum heads, the plugs are more likely to seize the threads if you go too long. It's a big problem in the 4.6 and 5.4 Fords right now (I sell auto parts, so I see a lot of it).
    I agree with an earlier poster...no matter what kind you use, always use anti seize material on the threads. A little dab'll do ya'.
    In aluminum heads it's safer too to torque the plugs rather than guessing about it. A heavy hand won't help the threads either.

15. Mar 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    ngk or denso.....iridium or not.....end of thread

16. Mar 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
  17. Mar 13, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Actually the stock Tacoma 3.4L uses 3 NGKs on one side and 3 Denso on the other. So I figure Toyota uses two different plugs for a reason so I just run the stock plugs.

18. Mar 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    DIYPV

DIYPV Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner 2.7
    second motor 20.5k on it
    I have always used wally word autolites $4.45 for 2 and the engine runs smooth you dont need a $10 droller plug to make a spark. I dont think the motor can tell that they are made in the USA.

19. Mar 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Yeah I always wondered what the fancy bs was all about. It seems like spark would be sort of an "all or none" principle. I guess plug life would be the deciding factor.

Products Discussed in

To Top