1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spark plug suggestions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Firsttaco111, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Feb 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Iridium plugs don't give any performance improvement, they just last longer and cost less money in the long run. From an electrical perspective iridium and OEM plugs are identical. If changing spark plugs floats your boat, great. :crazy:

As for Toyota having the best engineers, I'm going to say that their bean counters are even better. The only reason to not use iridium plugs from the factory is saving a few dollars per truck. Millions of Tacomas have been sold and if the accountants can shave a buck per truck that's millions of dollars in their pocket.

TomTwo[QUOTED] and gnorv like this.
  2. Feb 22, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    Truth. If you didn't have bean counters keeping an eye on engineers though a Tacoma would cost $80,000.

Pigpen and TomTwo like this.
  3. Feb 22, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    They call it value engineering. I've done some electrical design work and with a lot of electronics close enough is good enough. Stack a bunch of 5 and 10% tolerances on top of each other and well . . . close enough. You only use the tight tolerance parts where they are absolutely required, cause they cost a fortune.

4. Feb 22, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Okay. The stock plugs suck even thought there's 2 people in this very thread that have/had over 150K miles on them (w/no complaints) even though they're a 30K mile plug.
    I'm not lazy & like to see what's going on w/my engines. A way to do that is by checking/changing the plugs. It takes <1hr. to change the plugs & I enjoy it on a Saturday afternoon w/a cold beer. The bonus is I get more familiarization, & get to see what's going on, w/the inner-workings of my engine.
    I get it, it's not for everyone. :crapstorm:

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  5. Feb 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    This spark plug thread is running pretty good:)

You can't complain too much about toyota trying to save a buck on some copper plugs. It's a pickup truck, not a Ferrari. In my opinion, ford/chevy/Chrysler are much worse when it comes to cheaping out.

6. Feb 22, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    :cheers:

7. Feb 23, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    tacoma909sport

tacoma909sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    14 DoubleCab Sport
    you could save more bucks, and put some generic AC DELCO plugs in the import motor.. that might run for a few miles.. lol

MolonLabeTaco likes this.
  8. Feb 23, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    taco2010trd likes this.
  9. Feb 23, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    I changed my plugs at a little over 30,000 miles. They weren't fouled but the gaps were certainly open. This is an easy job to do ,use a little never seeze on the threads, and done for another 30,000 miles. I bought the new plugs right from the dealer. Price was reasonable and they were six of the same Denso plugs. Now at 50 k and no issues at all.

As a side note, We had an 07 Jeep Liberty V6. My older guy used that one while at college. One morning he reports a check engine light. Scan the code which shows misfire on Cylinder 6 if I recall right. We pull out the plugs which were some kind of single platinums recommended by the parts guy for that engine. The electrode was totally gone right down to the ceramic insulator.I think those plugs had about 60,000 miles maximum on them. They were all almost as bad. New plugs and all was well. I changed the OEM plugs preventativeley at 60,000 on an 07 Dodge V6 (different engine from Jeep, 3.8 I think) minivan around the same time. Those plugs were like brand new, no need to change at all. I think that was a 100k spark plug engine. My fear of going that long is that the carbon build up on the threads will make them very hard to remove.

MolonLabeTaco likes this.
  10. Feb 23, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    This is for sure. I wouldn't want to go back to 10,000k, if you were very lucky, (usually way less) plug and points changes.

11. Feb 23, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    How people choose to spend their time and money is no concern of mine. Misinformation, old wives tales, and FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) annoy me. OEM plugs don't suck it's just that iridium plugs are cheaper in the long run. No harm will come to an engine running them, but implying that OEM is superior just isn't true. And I never said OEM were inferior, just more expensive in regards to time and money.

As for going 150K miles with no spark plug maintenance I'm not sure if that person/persons isn't trolling this thread. Assuming that they are legit it kind of makes my point that you don't need to inspect your plugs every 30K miles.

If you go back the OP's question:
    He makes no statement about how he likes to spend his weekends. It's just a question about plugs. Knowing nothing about him, I'm going to recommend iridium, for all of the reasons they are superior to OEM (that being cost in time and money) But, if he's a guy that enjoys working on his truck then OEM might be best. For me given a choice between dicking around on the engine for an hour or spending that same hour out in the desert, I'll choose the desert 10 times out of 10.

12. Feb 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
  13. Feb 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    McSwine

McSwine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Levy, Arkansas
    I bought my 130K '09 V6 with no known service history (auction truck). I did the usual stuff, pushing fluids, changing filters etc. I changed out the plugs with the cheapo Denso's and the plugs that came out were the NGK/Denso so I assume they were stock. I also did the MAF/throttle body cleaning. The throttle body was surprising clean, compared to some of the pics I've seen here. The plugs looked like shit.

Irritatingly, the damn thing runs and idles just like it did before, maybe I was expecting Lexus V8 smoothness. So I would have to agree, 30K plug changes are probably unnecessary. I don't think I'm going to worry about for at least another 60K miles.

jsi[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 25, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    tacoma909sport

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    14 DoubleCab Sport
    might get these installled this afternoon if i find some free time.

EDFE435C-4EEF-4297-AABB-818CB96E9D19.jpg

15. Feb 25, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
  16. Feb 25, 2018 at 4:58 PM
    Fury

Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just changed mine this weekend for the second time. I choose to change mine every 3 years regardless of mileage. I ran NGK for the last 3 years and will run Denso for the next 3 years - both copper.
    I agree with the prev. statement on reading the used plugs to see how the engine is performing. So much can be seen and any problems caught early is a good thing.
    Each to their own but I enjoy doing maintenance to my Taco.

17. Feb 25, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    sioux

sioux Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Serious question - How would I/you/we know what the look of our used plugs mean, and more importantly, what to do about it?

18. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:56 AM
    ChesterT

ChesterT Active Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB
    sioux likes this.
  19. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    knottyrope

knottyrope Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knotty
    Bahstun
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco CCLB 4x4 SR5 4.0
    Pads, rotors, ujoints, 5900K Super White Xenon HID Halogen Bulb Fog Light
    I am not a troll, been posting on forums since before 2004
    many people like to just replace things and make them feel better

I have done nothing much on my truck except change PS rack, brakes, ujoints and a few light bulbs

My last 99 taco 2.7 did not get plugs until 130k miles and they were worn out and the idle was rough.

My ex wifes 05 sienna has over 208k and original plugs in it.

20. Feb 26, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    tacoma909sport

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    14 DoubleCab Sport
    understanding you have a problem and then researching a fix is a good start. there could be many things that can show/create wear on spark plugs. usually you would expect less issues on a fairly new engine... but once in a while we hear those 200k scenarios without any issues... off the top of my head, by visual inspection of plugs could show a bad O2 sensor, fuel pump, maybe air filter... you never know until you inspect your hardware. usually in 60K you shouldn't see issues, but if you pulled all 6 plugs, and found that one was abnormal, its completely black compared to the rest of them, might show you have issues inside the engine, like a leaking piston ring, or a bad oil seal somewhere.

the opposite of a black plug is a white plug, maybe showing lack of fuel. black usually means flooded with oil.

MolonLabeTaco and sioux[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top