1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SPC UPPER CONTROL ARMS.. YAY OR NAY?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by toyotahenry, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Feb 18, 2024 at 4:09 PM
    toyotahenry

toyotahenry [OP] N/A

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 ARMY GREEN
    I’m in the market to pickup some aftermarket upper control arms later this year.
    SPC UCA was one of the ones that I was interested in.
    However after watching this video I’m now starting to steer away from the SPC adjustable UCA.

What are your guy’s experiences, thoughts and opinions on the overall product itself? TIA!

VIDEO LINK:
    https://youtu.be/oqDqHOcTo5I?feature=shared

2. Feb 18, 2024 at 5:47 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    After having a set fail under 10K miles and then basically ruin my tires due to cupping, and seeing as how the company has gone through multiple ball joint and bushing designs and still has failures like that, I have to say my opinion is to buy something else.

TXpro4X4 and toyotahenry[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 19, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    toyotahenry

toyotahenry [OP] N/A

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 ARMY GREEN
    Jesus I had no idea that the company had gone through multiple variants of their UCA..

4. Feb 19, 2024 at 6:32 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    The current version is also not really user (or even most shops) rebuildable on the bushings, which notoriously fail early and often for a lot of people, myself included. Yeah, sure, they're good about doing warranty/rma replacement with a core charge, but that's a pain in the ass, and you're still subject to frequent backorder delays.

I ditched them after two pm extremely premature failures, ate the loss, and went to Dirt King tubular/BJ uppers. The hyperadjustability of the SPCs is cool I guess, but unless you have an unusual setup (fixed LCA cams, for example) you don't need that feature to get a good alignment - the DKs have extra caster built in, enough to push you out to +4.0 easily if you want or need it, and if not you can still reach factory alignment.

71tattooguy, Koolbreeze7 and wi_taco like this.
  5. Feb 19, 2024 at 3:15 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    I have had JBAs on for 90k miles zero issues.

6. Feb 19, 2024 at 3:23 PM
    hwntaco20

hwntaco20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad 2wd
    I went with JBA because I didn't need all the adjustability of SPC plus you need a good shop who understands how to use them or it's a waste.

7. Feb 20, 2024 at 7:54 AM
    Saskabush

Saskabush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Elka 2.5" DSC w/ Dakars, Archive Hammer Hangers, SPC UCAs, Timbren bumps, 16" TRD baja wheels, 265/75r16 BFG K02, 1.25" wheel spacers, TRD skid plate, N-Fab spare tire box mount.
    SPC had a bad batch of BJ's and bushings around covid. The play came from the bushing and ball joint themselves and had nothing to do with how they are adjusted. I guess it was just poor quality control on the manufacturing that resulted in tolerances that were out of spec. So not a design flaw from what I've been told by SPC.

Anyone who bought or had theirs replaced around that time are having early failures on the BJ and bushings. They are really good about replacing them though. And apparently the QC issues have all been resolved as of Nov 2023. But I think a lot of people were getting warranty replacements before the issue was fixed and have had more than 1 set fail on them because of this. So they don't have the best reputation obviously. And honestly it's still early to say for sure if all the problems have been solved.

I had a set fail on me after only a year of light use. So far so good on my replacements though but it's only been like 3 months. Hopefully everything is better now but people will be rightfully a bit gun shy on SPC for a couple years.

8. Feb 20, 2024 at 7:59 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I'm not sure how I feel about their newest arms yet. But to the fella that said the bushings aren't user replaceable, I disagree. I replaced a set of the x-axis bushings and I thought it was pretty cool that SPC sells the replacement bushings with a press tool. Took me maybe 30mins after removing the arm to change em out.

9. Feb 20, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    Guess that's new? Ish? I was straight up told that the X-Axis stuff was not considered replaceable unless it was by a shop that had a (quote) "biiig press and tooling". Sounds like they're at least trying to address problems. My bad time with them was pretty recent, and if we give good faith to all claims (some guys have zero problems, some guys have whack-ass problems) and the timeline, I would bet that there have been a lot of continuous revisions to a product that SPC is keeping as a single part number (the UCAs in question), with maybe QC problems or maybe (intentionally or not) using the warranty system as field testing on revisions, or maybe some of both.

Anyway I'll take my tinfoil sherlock holmes hat off, just throwing in another $0.02 while I wait for pizza. Cheers.

10. Feb 21, 2024 at 12:34 AM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    I'll add one more comment and then jumping off this train. Lots of other threads, just pull up your ol' trusty Googl'r and type in "site:tacomaworld.com spc uca" and read to your heart's content.

No doubt SPC are very adjustable and popular. They seem to have a good idea with "sealed" ball joints and rubber-ish bushings. Lots of happy customers, SPC customer service is very good, but if their product is superior then why:
    • The original arm design was full tubular, then half-tubular/half-forged, then fully forged. Why the changes if so good?
    • The original bushings were rubber and failed, then they switched to some other jank "spec ride" bushings which failed, then they changed to "X-axis" bushings which also fail. Why the changes if so good?
    • The original ball joints...well honestly I don't know. But they changed some parts of the design, possibly the boot, and those have failures (like the ones I had). Those were greasable, now they are not greasable. Again, why changes?
    Before anyone comes back with "hurr durr company is smart and they make improvements" well yeah they have to because gimmicky stuff that they test on customers like we are guinea pigs is not really great. So you can miss me with all that noise.

Many UCAs have barely had changes in decades but they don't have the SPC adjustment for camber. Other arms with camber adjustments typically have heim joints which for us people in the salt belt is no bueno (though some now have "sealed" heims so maybe hope exits). Either way that adjustable camber is a magic gimmick to help people avoid smashing pinch welds and cutting the body mount which is fine but let me tell ya if you stick around these here forums a couple years you're going to listen to all of us giving you naughty and awesome ideas aka bigger tires aka bad mamma jamma mode and you'll end up there anyways.

Now that I've ranted that I feel like the heretic on the street corner shouting "THE END IS NEIGH!" but trust me all ye unbelievers, do not run from these words, embrace the truth and be set free of the UCA magick and witchcraft!

Pista1 likes this.
  11. Feb 24, 2024 at 4:17 AM
    faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr Til Valhalla

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Denver, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Sport 4x4 DCSB
    I ran SPC arms on the FJ for about 20k

They ate ball joints and bushings about every 8k miles. After the 1st ball joints gave up the ghost, I lubed every 2k…..no help.

I changed to Dobinsons……

12. Feb 24, 2024 at 4:32 AM
    Tatts521

Tatts521 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Jersey, Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma-00 honda accord-04cbr1000rr-22ktm890duke R-19 wr450f-98rm250
    I didn't realize they went through so many variations on their ucas. I have the old old spc ucas. I have about 60k miles on them only thing I've changed is the bushings. But since I'm doing dk lcas I've also ordered dk ucas with bj. Cuz salt belt.

13. May 19, 2024 at 11:30 AM
    blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5.29’s
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    I bought spc's in 2020. I've since realized both ball joints are failing. Around 40,000 mi on them in 4 years of about 95% on road with those miles. I emailed the company yesterday. I will see what they say. This is a very premature failure to a very critical point on the truck.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2tbTccQt_Es?si=08NBcDA-En2y1JE6

14. May 30, 2024 at 3:10 PM
    Jake Sprucer

Jake Sprucer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica Tacoma TRD Sport
    - Interior/Exterior LEDs - TRD Pro Grille w/ Raptor Lights (4) - Hooke Road 4x4 Bed Rack - Cali Raised LED Bed Stiffeners - Ronin Factory 50 Cal. Antenna - UNI Filter - Bilstein 5100 lift - OME 886 coils - SPC UCAs - Icon AAL - BFG KO2s (275/70/17) - MRW MR315's - Prinsu Roof Rack - Smittybilt RTT
    I've just learned that my SPC ball joints are toast after buying in 2021. I will be switching to JBAs after reading this thread. Very disappointed in the SPCs.

15. May 30, 2024 at 3:13 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  16. May 31, 2024 at 8:46 PM
    Veet-88

Veet-88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma DCLB sport
    Hard pass mine made it 8k and every joint was dead, moved to dirt kings and havnt looked back

17. Jun 4, 2024 at 1:06 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    So I got my replacement ball joint for the SPC UCA. And looking at it, they now ship a "maintenance free upgraded" ball joint. It doesn't have a grease fitting up top but is instead capped off.
    Has anyone had experience with this "maintenance free" ball joint and getting better life from it? Seems like a step backwards to not allow it to be greasable. Although I'm wondering if I could just simply remove this plug and add a grease fitting.
    http://www.spcalignment.com/images/pdfs/SPC_New_BallJoint_Flyer_0723.pdf

18. Jun 4, 2024 at 1:11 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Idea is excellent. Execution is terrible.

I had issues with both ball joints and bushings in mine, so I swapped for heimed uppers as I wanted to keep the adjustability.

19. Jun 4, 2024 at 1:22 PM
    Saskabush

Saskabush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Elka 2.5" DSC w/ Dakars, Archive Hammer Hangers, SPC UCAs, Timbren bumps, 16" TRD baja wheels, 265/75r16 BFG K02, 1.25" wheel spacers, TRD skid plate, N-Fab spare tire box mount.
    Yeah that's the updated design apparently. Too much room for error allowing people to grease them on their own is what I was told by SPC. They said the vast majority of warranty claims were from improper greasing and they didn't want to start denying claims so they took greasing out of the equation.

I asked the same question about the grease fitting. I guess it's not that easy. There is another plug inside the boot that plugs the bleed hole that the old grease gets pushed out of. You need to remove both but getting inside the boot to do it isn't really possible without damaging the boot. You also likely void the warranty.

I'm 7 months into my replacement set with the sealed BJ and so far they still perform like new. They've only used the sealed ball joints since November though so still too early to say for sure if they are better.

20. Jun 4, 2024 at 5:42 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    hey thank you for that outstanding info! i'm going to throw these on and see what happens. hoping for the best and glad that yours are holding up well so far. I'm hoping mine do as well. pretty bummed they would not warranty my original ball joints however with such an early failure :(

Products Discussed in

To Top