1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fixxxer181, May 6, 2007.

1. May 6, 2007 at 7:32 PM
    fixxxer181

fixxxer181 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Killen, al
    Vehicle:
    All mine!
    Pioneer priemere head unit. JL 6.5 components in the fronts. JL 6.5 coaxial's in rear doors. Pushed by JL JX360/4. Kicker "Hideaway" under passenger seat, self powered.
    I was considering upgrading my factory speakers but I am still undecided about one thing. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Would I be better off going with a 6.5" component set in the front, thus replacing the factory tweeters or simple stick with 6x9"s.

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    It depends what you're looking for. Component speakers are better quality because it separately handles (via crossover) the mids (woofers) and highs (tweeters) instead of shoving the signals through the wires to one speaker, whether is be a 2, 3 or 4 way speaker.

How much money are you willing to spend?
    Are you planning on replacing the head unit/receiver?
    Are you planning on getting a subwoofer and amp or powered subwoofer (self-amped subwoofer)?

If you DO go the route of component speakers you may want to go with an aftermarket head unit and you'll definitely want to get a subwoofer and amp (or powered subwoofer) since you'll be lacking bass. This option will cost you more $$. The 6.5" Polk Audio db6501 is an excellent component system.

If you are on a budget, then sticking to just 6x9's should be ok. 6x9's have the bonus of providing decent bass without a subwoofer. Do your research. If I were fitting my vehicle with 6x9's I'd probably get the Infinity Reference 9623i.

Products Discussed in

To Top