1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker Upgrade Reccomendation Needed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rocketball, May 23, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    Pioneer makes some very nice speakers in all price ranges. If youre doing a budget build, pioneer is a good idea. I've got a set of pioneer 2 way component speakers (forgot the model... :S) and they blew away my previous memphis speakers. If you're on a budget right now though... I would seriously consider putting an amp inside the truck instead on some cheap speakers, or even the stock ones. That way, you're ready for some serious sound later when you want to upgrade to some high end speakers. I saved a lot of money up for mine just so i could do it all at the same time. Running an 8'' touch screen JVC deck, one 400watt 2 channel amp driving 2 way component pioneer speakers in the front, one 500 watt monoblock amp driving a 12'' sub in a ported box, and the rear speakers are off the deck only (nobody can hear them with the front speakers anyways). The system is very loud, and its very nice to have on long road trips. :) Let me know if you have any more questions.

2. Jun 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    KennyC

KennyC New Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DBL CAB L.Bed V6 4x4 Sports Pkg.
    DevL...

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, there aren't any super car audio stores near me (that I know of) that I can go to to audition the better head units/amps/speakers. So, my philosophy is to listen to the majority of opinions on any given product and try to make sense of it. Since my first post, I've decided that I'm going to try to use the Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (front & rear sets) that I bought a few years ago when my father-in-law gave me his '06 Chevy Colorado. I had that truck 2 months and had to get rid of it (long story). The speakers are still brand new and never made it out of the boxes they came in. I also have a Rockford Fosgate T600-4 power amp, also still new in the box. I think I'll purchase the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD head unit. I just bought the Garmin nuvi 1490T GPS, so I don't need another navigation instrument. The Polk Audio speakers should sound good with this equipment.

3. Jun 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I personally dislike the Polk dbs. If you like them that is all that matters. I too have had lots of problems finding speakers to audition, even living in a large city. So far its looking like JL C5s for me. Its really a toss up for Focal K2 or the C5 but the C5 is either $200 less expensive or they will cost similar in price but the Focal would have no warranty. If you have a Fry's locally they have dbs set up to audition. Id listen before installig as you could put that money toward new speakers of you dont like them. I liked low end Infinity speakers better than dbs (also available to audition at Fry's).

If you need a general guide... Id stay away from ring radiator tweeters on the doors. Ring radiators I have tried are all VERY directional and need to be on axis.

Many of the high end speakers, that are affordable, have pressed paper cones. These are not the best if your vehicle will have substantial exposure to the elements.

4. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    KennyC

KennyC New Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DBL CAB L.Bed V6 4x4 Sports Pkg.
    Unfortunately, DevL, I do not have a Fry's anywhere near me. We used to have a Tweeter store, but they went out of business. I have never heard the Polk db6501 speakers personally, but mine are paid for and sitting brand new in the original box in my basement. I bought them for my Chevy truck, but got rid of the truck before I actually installed the speakers. I have read reviews where people said the tweeters could be slightly harsh and needed to back-off on the highs. If I didn't already have the speakers, they certainly wouldn't be my first pick for my Tacoma. But, I'm willing to bet that they'll sound at least 50 times better than the Toyota stock radio/speakers. I just bought my truck a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. Even so, the original sound system has got to go! I know it's a truck, but I spend a lot of time in it and I like my music to sound good. I'll let you know what I think of the Polk db speakers after I install them. Thanks for the tips...

5. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    same here. dont be ashamed i fucking love working there!

on topic:
    Either Infinity Kappas
    or
    Alpine Type-S

since you arent running subs or amps roll the alpines....they give you more bass anyways

6. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    twr437

twr437 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 LB
    nerf bars, bed cover, husky liners, Icon coilovers, LR UCA, rear 5100s, TSB AAL, diff drop, carrier baring drop, axel shims, AFE pro dry filter, BHLM, mesh grill, Black emblems,
    Alpine all the way....HU, mids, highs, sub, amp.......only the best.

7. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    for sub.........

IMO Kicker is the way to do it

8. Jun 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    winterboy04

winterboy04 Professional Cube-Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD (Bright Red)
    Alpine CDA-9886 Hybrid Audio Unity Series components JL 250.1, JL300.4 Infinity Perfect 10.1 SVC 4ohm in custom enclosure / amp rack Alpine PXA-H100 Processor FatMat everywhere URD short shifter OEM Bed Mat Tail Gate Safety Mod (Plumbing clamps) Pro-Dry S Filter
    i have had a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine series Coax / component convertible speakers in my car for about 2 weeks or so. they are still breaking in, but they are, by far, some of the cleanest speakers i've owned. i AM running them on a JL amp, but they don't seem to need too much power. i got them for 200 bucks from Mr. Marv after spending about 2 months trying every speaker in store and in other peoples cars. here is the spec sheet. best part is that they are convertible, so if you got two sets you can actually unhook the tweeter for the rear and you don't have to hide crossovers (because they are built onto the basket).

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/Imagine_Master_Manual_Final.pdf

9. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    orvis

orvis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road
    or JL, 1 W7 is more that enough

10. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    never heard JL i love my Kicker L5 though. it bumps like acne.

11. Aug 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball [OP] If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I finished my speaker upgrade today.

I decided on the Pioneer TS series. 6.5" in the rear, 6" x 9" in the front.

Got the speaker adapter rings from Mr. Marv. :) Good thing I contacted him. The 6x9's I bought are a bit deeper than most, so I needed a deeper adapter ring, and I needed to trim about 1/4" off of the plastic lip inside the door panel.

Picked up the wiring harness adapters at Best Buy. Not too bad on the price. $24.00 for all 4.

Got the hardware this morning at Lowe's.

From start to finish it took me 3 hours. IMO not too shabby since I've never done a speaker swap before.

Bottom line....... they sound awesome with my Pioneer HU and I've picked up quite a bit more bass. :D

12. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    These are untreated pressed paper cones though are they not? I worry about the logevity of pressed paper cone woofers when subjected to lots of moisture.

13. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    IMHO Infinity, Kenwood, Diamond audio, alpine, and polk audio are a few with excellent results. When chosing a speaker I tend to look at the sensitivity (db), RMS, price and then brand. Your best bet would be go check out the caraudio shops and hear them for you self.

Products Discussed in

To Top