1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Special forces

Discussion in 'Military' started by DRAWN, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Feb 29, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    DRAWN

DRAWN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 QUICKSAND AC SR5 4X4
    Sliders, 6112's, full skids.
    I was wondering if anybody on this site served time in the special forces. Let me first say I have respect for anybody who serves our country. I am currently a 3rd year college student and was interested in joining the U.S army special forces after graduating. I just read the U.S army is now recruiting from the civilian population. I know it's not a walk in the park and that the failure rate is very high. Im sure serving in the ,illiteracy for a few years prior is recommended. I understand all the requirements and qualification you need to pass in order to join the special forces. It just looks like an incredible experience and I am up to the challenge. Was also wondering about the U.S army rangers. I would appreciate any advice, stories, etc... from anybody who has served in a branch in the U.S military. Thank you.

15Plus3Charlie and Rambo54 like this.
  2. Mar 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM
    DRAWN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks so much man!

3. Mar 21, 2016 at 9:42 PM
    Nate87

Nate87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC TRD OR
  4. Mar 22, 2016 at 2:01 AM
    Ridgeline001

Ridgeline001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport 4wd

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. That is about the most blatant bullshit I've seen on this site. Completely fucking unsat to try and sell some bullshit class for .mil

If you want to serve, I respect that. I did and don't regret it. There are plenty of jobs to do from working on jets, to my favorite, jumping out of a helo into ice cold water to save a life, to what you see in the movies. Do not pay for any bullshit to get in. Diver, EOD, tank driver..... Jobs are there. Don't believe anything you read on the net for military info. If you really want info, message me and I'll try to get you in contact with the real deal via email.

5. Mar 22, 2016 at 2:08 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    ^^^This and talk to a recruiter and get it IN WRITING before signing any kind of contract. A lot of the SF/PJs we trained with for deployment more or less were selected from their AFSC/MOS.

jeff b and Ridgeline001[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Mar 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    Ridgeline001

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport 4wd
    I passed every test I took. Funny that you try and shift this off some class you are pushing. Washing out is 95% mental, and you can't learn that in any class. Period. You either choose to be a winner, or you fail.

Rambo54 and xenophon like this.
  7. Mar 22, 2016 at 4:25 PM
    Ridgeline001

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport 4wd
  8. Mar 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    TacoTaco15

TacoTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB PreRunner 2.7
    A SOF thread turned into a pissing contest.

The derp is real.

1R0NMAN811 and Ridgeline001 like this.
  9. Mar 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    Join the Marines/Army. Be 1-2-3 in your boot class. Do awesome in your training. Run the mile in way fast. Swim Swim Swim. Be able to take verbal instructions, remember them 24 hours later with no sleep.

Talk to your Commanding Officer 3 years later. Ask him to recommend you with your Top Sargent and others. Prepare to go to total hell for school. Don't be married, don't have traffic tickets, be a perfect Grunt.

You have a 3% chance to be accepted, a 45% chance of dropping out in the first week.

Up to you. And don't complain when you get poop trench cleaning and burning duty.....

Army Rangers is pretty much the same thing. Join the Army get some dirt pounder bullet stopper trench pooper job. Be the very best. Get chosen to attend the school 2-4 years after joining. Win, fight don't lose. And don't complain when you get poop trench cleaning and burning duty.....

Enjoy the life in the dirt. If you have a brain, get a job in the Air Force fixing electronics, computers, flying drones and have a job to make money when you get out. Or Navy.

My son is in Navy Computer school, taught by hackers, to be a anti hacker by NSA. 6 years later he'll be in the civilian world pulling down $100+K working for a company for the USA.

All the Marines and Army in his school have failed out. Low brain power.

Dirt trench or in a climate controlled environment. Up to you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    TTT likes this.
  10. Mar 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM
    TacoTaco15

TacoTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB PreRunner 2.7
    You, sir, are either extremely misinformed by someone trying to sound cool, or you're a moron. I'm hoping misinformed.

Oppositeboy and tx_shooter like this.
  11. Mar 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    DRAWN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You seem very Bias. Not to mention you just insulted every marine/army soldier on this site.

1truckdriver likes this.
  12. Mar 23, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    DRAWN

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some genuine people have pm'd me and given me good info. This thread has obviously turned into a shit show. Either way thank you guys for the advice. @Nate87, you gave me a good laugh.PS, all branches of the millitary are awesome.

Nate87 and Ridgeline001 like this.
  13. Mar 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    :popcorn:

DrFunker likes this.
  14. Mar 23, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    Conumdrum

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    Forgive me. You can join almost any specialty in the Military. Army and Marines have a large proportion of shooters/ground pounders... FACT. I used to teach electronics to all 4 services and international and other special folks...... I know factually that due to lower ASFAB scores and results that the Army and Marines had a higher failure rate in the same jobs that the AF and NAVY was going into. In fact, I remember that the Army needed more Audiovisual Repair techs so they lowered the ASVAB scores. Failures went up 20% for the Army in my school.

I'm saying that folks should want a clean working environment, no running/crawling in the dirt. Better chances for a great paying job. It's what you want to do with your life. I opted for tech as my son did. Get a technical job, work just as hard as you do/did. But it's brain work, not dirt work. I fixed radars during the cold war. With a coffee cup and an Oscilloscope... My son did 14 hours/7 days a week on a sub for 5 years, worked hard and made E6 in 5.5 years. Then was asked to join another specialty, submitted coding examples, expert in web bases and network examples, he was selected for an awesome job, the forefront of battle. With his coffee cup and keyboard.

Is he any less a hero that you with a gun in the dirt? Or repairing engines? Or in Supply? Or Admin?

Live with it. Military service in whatever you do is honorable. I retired from the military, did you?

Some jobs need high IQ, some don't. Fact of life. We all ain't Bill Gates............

Kumunoy likes this.
  15. Mar 23, 2016 at 8:12 PM
    choupick

choupick Double Secret Probation

Member:
    The south
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD SPORT 4X4 MGM
    Dents in roof from poorly loaded canoe. Broken side mirror from blown transfer truck tire. Scuffed up front bumper from thinking I was still in a corolla. Graham cracker embedded upholstery from a crazy kid.
    Yes. This is observable by looking at the awarding of the MOH, Silver Stars, and Bronze Stars with V devices by service and MOS.

Let's turn this around: What I'm saying is you should choose a job full of adventure and interesting people so you don't die telling stories about oscillators and luke warm coffee. Plus there is a better chance of getting a good paying job that doesn't involve sitting under florescent lights all day trading stories with a coworker about the time your hooches didn't have cable.

16. Mar 24, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Conumdrum

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    Your admittance of a medal in the heat of combat tells a lot. If that's your idea of a hero then so be it. Anyone who joins the military is a hero.

Adventure? Dead? Injuries? Not for me. Good paying job with the skill of a marksman vs a career of fixing electronics. Dunno about that.....

I didn't have hooches. It was one to a room with a bathroom shared. Hot food all day. TV and hot water 24/7.

Anyone who is in combat is a real good heroic person, good for them, I think it's crazy to volunteer for such duty. It's life changing and you can be dead.

Who fixed the transports you drive in? Who made sure the ammo arrived? Who handles your pay?

Most importantly, who fixes the airplanes, fly's drones, watches the traffic to get intel? Who made it all possible? You could walk from a port in France to Iraq. Ohh wait, tech fix the planes and pilots fly you there. No medals for them.

You have your idea of combat glorious war, you forget who makes it possible. They might not have the injuries and the dirt in their underwear, but they are just as important.

Again, I'd never be a grunt if I could do something better and easier and still serve the USA. I did. My son is. And the future is much brighter for those with the skills to serve. My retirement is as the same as yours. I don't need a medal and combat to prove myself. I served, I did good. 21 years and 4 days.

15Plus3Charlie and Kumunoy like this.
  17. Mar 24, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    cseaman

cseaman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Atropia
    Vehicle:
    2019 RS3, 2019 SQ5
    You are pathetic, Conumdrum. Straight pathetic. I've never heard someone who claims to have retired have so much garbage to say about their weak ass support career where they never pushed themselves through anything difficult, all while talking so much shit on anyone who chose to take a different path through the military. Get off of your horse - I won't even call it a high horse, because it's clear to everyone else in this thread that you don't even deserve that level of acknowledgement.

18. Mar 24, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
  19. Mar 24, 2016 at 9:02 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I really wanted to go to bed, and then I saw this thread.

20. Mar 24, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    Dgibson529

Dgibson529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    NE F150s of TW FTW
    this thread is epic so far

Products Discussed in

To Top