1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speedo calibration on 3rd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by roggs01, May 5, 2018.

1. Sep 1, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    Yeah my guy told me to stuff it, so I smiled and drove away..........

2. Sep 1, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Don't know, they never sent me any form after the 1st service check like they said they would. At the time they said they'd mail me it due to their computers and internet were down from the tropical storm we had. Whatever it was i'm happy, seems everything functions well. Imo, it almost seems like the truck was originally calibrated for taller tires.

3. Sep 24, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    jereb83

jereb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lifted '18 Tacoma SR
    Toytec Lift Moto Metal 16s 265/75R16 BFG KO2s TRD Pro "Style" Grille with Raptor Lights OVTuned ECT PWR Always On
    Hey what's up. New guy here. I installed the RC one in mine because I bought it with 285/65R18s. I have it pretty well set. My question is this...did anyone running the RC one have issues with cruise being lower than actual speed set...like if I want to cruise at 70mph, I have to set it for 68mph...and, is anyone's odometer reading too short? Based on traveled distances charted in mapping programs vs. odo readings, I am short. Firmware is up-to-date and software is G2G. Any ideas?

4. Sep 24, 2020 at 8:08 PM
    angerbot

angerbot Well-Known Member

Member:
    My understanding of these is that they can only correct the speedometer - you'll still need to manually adjust the cruise and your odometer will always be wrong. It just touches the signal coming from the ECU to the speedo gauge, it doesn't actually change the way data is recorded.

5. Sep 25, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    mlr69

mlr69 I had a savings account before I joined TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    From the manufacturer's website:
    "...In-line Speedometer Calibrator Module is an in-line module to correct the speedometer and odometer for non-stock tire sizes and/or rear gear ratios..."

When I installed mine, it did indeed fix my speedometer, odometer and shift points. I still have an incorrect reading on the cruise control set speed, but others have reported a recent software update may have fixed that - I have not gotten around to updating mine yet so I cannot confirm.

58electricman likes this.
  6. Sep 28, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    jereb83

jereb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lifted '18 Tacoma SR
    Toytec Lift Moto Metal 16s 265/75R16 BFG KO2s TRD Pro "Style" Grille with Raptor Lights OVTuned ECT PWR Always On
    I have an '18 but I ran the 19-20 option. Seemed to do the trick. Unless I am hyping myself, it seemed to work better. Shift points were better, I am maybe a couple decimals slower than reported speed but for the most part lines up...fine by me, and my Cruise seems to finally line up basically. Odo is running at about 97% of actual mileage. I just decided to live with it. I read SAE says ODO should be +/- 4% so I am within a spec...RC nor Hypertech ever reached back out to me. I ran updates and tried to update firmware probable Thursday night, but it is up-to-date. Whatever, it works as far as I know. Thanks!

mlr69 likes this.
  7. Nov 1, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    AsphaltCrawler

AsphaltCrawler Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray 2020 Tacoma Limited
    6" BDS Lift, 35s, 5.29 Gears, E-Lockers F & R
    I just installed the Rough Country version in my 2020. Before the install, with 32s my speedo was showing 2 MPH slower than I was actually going, according to GPS. I measured both tires (off the truck) and put those measurements in. Now, after the install, speedo says I'm going 1 mph faster than I actually am, again, according to GPS. Looks like I'm gonna have to tweak it if I want it exact, although it's probably close enough. The good news is I secured the USB cable to the module and left it attached with the computer end accessible under the dash, so now I just have to plug it and and upload the adjusted numbers if I decide I want to change it.

8. Nov 1, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Idahotaco88

Idahotaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    2017 black AC OR
    Kings 2.5 with adjusters, icon rxt stage 2. SCS stealth blue on 35s
    Yeah I did the same with the cable, It took me 3 times to get it dead on. One time I went the wrong way when adjusting so technically twice lol

9. Dec 30, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Freeheelbillie

Freeheelbillie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billie
    Saint Clair, MI
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR, DCSB
    FRONT END King Stage 3 3” RR Coil Overs SPC UCA’s REAR END King Stage 3 BAMF Shock Relocation Rear AAL Heavy ARB Universal Diff Breather Kit TIRES & RIMS 16” Method Bronze BFG K02 (315/75/R16) ARMOR Demello Off Road Baja Hoop Front Bumper Main Line Overland Rock Sliders w/ Top Plate ¼” Aluminum RCI Fuel Tank Skid RCI Fuel Tank Straps RCI Rear Diff Skid RCI A-Arm Skids RCI – Front, Transmission, and rear Transfer Case Skid DRIVE LINE YotaWerx, BlackHawk Tune Re Geared w/ Nitro 4.56 Package Front ARB Air Locker Rear ARB Air Locker 8” Reverse Clamshell 3.73 & Down Carrier RECOVERY ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5RS Winch, Synthetic Line ComeUp Seal Hawse Fairlead ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor LIGHTING Squadron-R Pro Amber Fogs (Wide Cornering) Baja Designs Rock Lights Squadron Sport Fogs (qty 4) Baja Designs Bed Light Kit SPODS, HD 8 Circuit Switch Panel
    I have a 2019 regeared with Nitro 456 and 35s? Off about 7mph. I'd like to have it accurate...is hyper tech still the only option?

10. Dec 30, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    rmreid20

rmreid20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Western TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD
    Rough Country sells 1 which looks like a private label unit supplied by Hypertech (but I could be wrong)

11. Jan 1, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    Sand_In_My_Taco

Sand_In_My_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOR*CAL
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-OR AC
    And cheaper.

Have it, works fine .

rmreid20[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 8, 2021 at 6:11 PM
    JDUB-Fabrication

JDUB-Fabrication Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newburgh NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Lexus GX460
    Do people have both the Speedo calibrator and OV tune? Or can OV tune also calibrate the speedo and mileage?

13. Feb 8, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    No OVT doesn't do speedo/odo

14. Feb 8, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    Idahotaco88

Idahotaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    2017 black AC OR
    Kings 2.5 with adjusters, icon rxt stage 2. SCS stealth blue on 35s
    I have both they work good together!

15. Feb 8, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    SweatyBiscuit

SweatyBiscuit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Northern AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco TRD OR
    Katzkin leather, heated seats, Popnloc, bed lights, remote start, bhlm....
    I have both as well. The hypertech/RC module simply intercepts the signal from the computer and modifies it for the gauge cluster to correct the readout/odometer.

OV tune is completely different and far more beneficial.

I have 285/75/16s and my truck was only off a few miles per hour at 60.

16. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    CAG Gonzo

CAG Gonzo Ascendant Spaghetti

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    What's the best place ($) to buy one of these bad boys?

17. Mar 5, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    tomgru

tomgru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Maybe confused here. I'm having 285s put on a new 2021 Pro I'm getting in a few weeks, and what them to adjust this at the dealer before I take delivery. Can this be an internal adjustment they do or will they sell me this module?

18. Mar 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    mlr69

mlr69 I had a savings account before I joined TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    Neither. There is no internal adjustment for different tire sizes, you will need to buy a speedo/odo calibrator - whether it be the Hypertech or the Rough Country (re-branded Hypertech). It's unlikely the dealer will sell/install it for you.

tomgru[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 14, 2021 at 3:03 PM
    Mikellittle

Mikellittle Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Taco Limited
    I’ve scanned through here, but can’t find a solid answer. Are their calibration options for a 2021?

20. Apr 14, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Unless you're going to a huge tire it simply isn't worth the difference. If you upgrade to a 285/75/16 from stock you're only going to be off by 5 mph at 70. And as tires wear down from use they get smaller. The 285's with 40,000 miles on them will only be off by 2 mph. Even if you calibrate it now, it will be off later.

Of course that is true with all tires, in all sizes and always has been true. It's just that before GPS we never knew it. It is impossible for manufacturers to calibrate a speedometer 100% accurately since the tire diameter is constantly changing due to wear.

It ain't rocket science to understand that between 70-80 mph your speedometer is reading 5 mph slower than you're actually traveling. No cop is going to write you a ticket if you're less than 5 over, most give you 10. And at speeds under 50 mph you're not off enough to even care about.

Use this site to plug in the tire sizes and see how it effects you. Bear in mind that these numbers are only accurate with new tires. As they wear down the numbers change. As to the odometer. The above link gives you a percentage difference in tire circumference. If you're 7% bigger, then your odometer is 7% low. When calculating fuel mileage simply multiply the miles on your trip meter by 1.07 to get an accurate miles traveled. For example if your trip meter says you drove 278 miles you multiply 278 by 1.07. You actually drove 297.4 miles

Patton250 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top